SASS Wire Forum

Restocking Ammo in the PRK and NV

bgavin

My trap shooting buds over in Reno tell about how ammo and shotshells are sold out.
9mm is completely gone and so are the regular grade shotshells.
They have to go all the way down to Carson City, and hope to get lucky.

Here in the Sacramento section of the PRK, I got a flyer from BassPro for STS shells on sale, plus a $2/box rebate.
These are the real nice ones with the brass base that reload so well.

Cannot order and pick up... have to go there in person.
Store opened at 9am, I got there at 9:25.
The line was 10+ deep for the counter.

On a lark, I held my place and took a peek.. yep... a separate line just for ammo sales.
And nobody in it.

By the time I got done with the background check, the DROS, and signing the log book, it took more than a full hour to check out.
I bought three cases this time, as three is the limit.
Enduring this amount of pain for a single case of shells is not worth the trouble.

When I left at 10:30 there was a very long line outside the building waiting to get in.
They are only admitting X numbers at a time.

The gun counter was nearly sold out.
A month late, and month short..

hand gun wall in Guns Fishing and other stuff in Dublin has 30 pistols and space for 400

I had to pick up a BuckMark rifle after 12 day wait

Tuesday 20 people waiting for them to open and most where taking Firearms Safety test 

Buy ammo? Ya never heard of reloading?  :)

On 6/11/2020 at 4:44 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Buy ammo? Ya never heard of reloading?  :)

Those STS shells are close to my cost of reloading after the rebate ($5/box).  I can always use a good supply of once-fired STS hulls too.  I'm hoping to score five three cases tomorrow.

I picked up 3 cases today.
With the $2/box rebate, they came to $4.99 per box.
Cheaper than the Gun Clubs I take trap shooting.

Where.. by the way.., I came across a dumpster generously filled with STS and Nitro once-fired hulls.
Also found a bunch of AA-HS... the base is brass, but the HS are the two-part constructions, and can be problematic to reload.
Pity... as the old AA had the reputation of being the best, back in the day.

The bummer about the rebate, I have to deface every box of STS by cutting out the UPC for the rebate.
I'd prefer to keep my reloads in STS boxes, but have plenty of Gun Club that will do the job.
It's an OCD thing...

Had 2 cases of AA Winchester featherlites delivered to the house in 3 days.  I load, but sometimes I don't have time, so I keep a few spares.  After the rebate, I'll have a little over $6 a box in them.  

Archived