SASS Wire Forum

What ever happened to the good old days?

Kirk James

Which “good ole days”;  two weeks ago?  Three months ago? Three years ago?  My parents referred to the good ole days as the 1920’s and my grandmother spoke fondly of the 1890’s.

I guess for me the good ole days were the time before I entered Old Fartdom.

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

It's the misbelief that this sport is about being fair/ equal to all.  A top two handed shooter shoots fast and you'll hear  people saying they couldn't keep up.   But what's the call?  Clean. Benefit of doubt.  Assumption that they did it right.   A gf shoots even moderately fast and it's assumed we did it wrong.  Total double standard.     

Then you hear the argument that because we get to have two guns out its fair to have more restrictions.  Which is pure b.s. we are already doing something that is much harder which is restricting enough as it is. 

I think that you are overlooking, or ignoring some basic facts. Fair and equal to all relates to "Equals". There is a Tier System in play here. GF are on a much lower Tier than other shooters in the game. They are in a much lower "Class" or "Sect". They simply can not expect to be treated as "Equals" to "Regular" shooters/people.  No body faults you for this, it's just the way you were born. Get over it, accept your place, and stop trying to rise above your station. Geeze!

Gunfighters still have ridiculous restrictions. I plan to attend EOT in 2021. I have been shooting gunfighter style since before SASS was created. It appears that I will be match dqd when I shoot Gunfighter as an El Rey. :(

The Good Old Days haven't happened yet.

I do miss picking up the bags of gold, the manacles, ball and chain, ridinhg on the barrel horse, etc.  :angry:

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Is this what happens when a mouse farts?:huh:

What the real burning question is, 

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Ridin' the range alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
And Roy and Rex, the Durango Kid?

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott, happened to the best of me.

my memories of  "the good old days" are the early [for me ] days of shooting SASS with an entire family of shooters , from young [popcorn girl] just barely able to keep her guns up but a shootin wonder to parents  that made it all possible with B-western and black powder adult participants , there were five of them , the middle two were contenders to be reconnected with in their own rights , but that little one invited me to join them and ive never looked back , ive spent a lotta cash and had a lotta fun in the years since thanks to that family and  never regretted a moment of it , a whole new world has opened up to me in the shooting world - gave up three gun and never ;looked back , 

im old , that little girl is now graduated , and i would still be proud to shoot with her , i carry the invitation i once received proudly in my vest pocket and always will , reminds me of what was and what may be in the future - we all need a little inspiration and sometimes it comes from a not so expected place , it led me to enderlin and there is no better place to start the great journey of SASS then there , 

On the request of the match director, I brought my horse to a State Shoot one year for everybody to shoot off of it while it was running.

Mine was a bit faster and heavy duty to insure a good ride. Well, this was when a lot of things were changing in the sport and it ended up they threw the stage out of the match and you could ride it for fun but it did not count on your score. The horse is in my barn and I would love to see it used in a match, but I doubt it will happen again. I have a mechanical stagecoach that you could ride and shoot off of also. The pictures are close to mine. I also had a barber chair to shoot out of just like the one High Plains Drifter and we shot that stage many times. (Sold the chair a couple years ago)

stagecoach.JPG

Horse.JPG

20 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Is this what happens when a mouse farts?:huh:

Nope , old days was definetly cat sneezes. Mouse farts were a later thing when language got looser ;)

For me, good shooting starts the night before.  The Good Old Days were when I was only 65 and I only had to get up once during the night.  And in the morning, I could walk rather than limp the first couple steps.  And my feet didn't take five minutes of hard pulling to cram into cowboy boots, leaving me half exhausted.  And I could climb into my pickup truck without grunting or groaning.  And I could see the sights and the targets at the same time without shifting my trifocals.   And levering my '73 didn't make my rotator cuff hurt. 

Things were indeed very good back then!!! 

Make those spotters stand behind the targets who think it should be a miss when they can not see or hear the hit, if the spotter has no holes then it must have been a dang hit!  To heck with BP Gunfighter, we want Frontiersman Gunfighter as the main match category.  Why can we not allow using the Remington revolving carbine as a main match rifle if using an extra cylinder?  That lil time lost to cylinder change could just be charged against all other shooters to level the field...  Outlaw designer jeans hell, I say require designer buckskins (with fringe mandatory).  As to them shotgun shell belts being worn above the belly button, I say require them being worn above it AND throw in below the nipple for the botchers on here!!!!  Dang who started this topic, I really like this.  

On 6/12/2020 at 8:03 AM, evil dogooder said:

A gf shoots even moderately fast and it's assumed we did it wrong.  Total double standard.   

Not what I meant at all.  It's not all that hard to tell who's a real gunfighter & who's not.  It usually shows up in attitude.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Real Cowboys shoot Colts :D:P:angry::rolleyes:

Real cowboys let their colts grow up. :P

Archived