SASS Wire Forum

What ever happened to the good old days?

Kirk James

What ever happened to the good old days where the wire equaled a segment from the Jerry Springer Show?  Rank points vs total time,  TO's responsibility to catch a falling rifle, belly button shotgun belt rule, wimpy loads for world class shooters,  Rattle Snake Wrangler rule etc......  Has this pandemic soften us up? What was your favorite SASS drama? 

My favorite... due to the inadequacy of talent in spotters, gf are not allowed to shoot all out

Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

OK, you hooked me.  What's the Rattlesnake Wrangler thing about? 

If a buckaroo thinks they might have a chance at winning the overall at state or above, that buckaroo must declare thier intentions prior to the beginning of the match, and all shotgun targets must go down.  

Basically the buckaroo is shooting as a junior against other buckaroos 

Those targets are ridiculous. If I lean forward far enough I can touch them.  What ever happened to actual marksmanship? This is supposed to be a test of skill, not just how fast you can make your guns go bang. :angry:

49 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

OK, you hooked me.  What's the Rattlesnake Wrangler thing about? 

It concerns a certain cowboy that takes pictures of himself holding snakes in a position that makes the snake seem larger and longer. Wait, that's not it.

It concerns a buckaroo (at the time) who played within the rules, won his category and overall at a match. I wasn't there but I guess that he missed a shotgun target, didn't make it up and........so it goes.

I miss the Bailey Quarters or Jennifer days. Bailey all the way without a doubt.

Lest we forget! J. P. Lower, SASS#18563's article in the December 2010 Cowboy Chronicle "Real Cowboys Shoot Duelist". The fallout was HUGE. A lot has happened in just 10 years. Please don't shoot the messager. Posted as an exaggeration for clarification!! Maybe the old days were not so "good".

REAL COWBOYS SHOOT DUELIST!

By J. P. Lower, SASS #18563

Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, the souped up single action spoke as the target clanged its answer. The onlookers admired the speed with which the shooter thumbed back the hammer and fired accurately at each plate. Then his shotgun swung into action, accurate but festooned with slick tricks to give an advantage. The rifle wasn’t any different either. Why, I never saw so much flash coming off the gun instead of from the muzzle! Sure could have used these during the Ute wars, that’s sure, but we didn’t have ‘em like that in old Colorado, did we? I don’t recollect anyone ever coming to me and asking for a slicked up action or short stroke conversions. And that two handed hold … what limp wrist New York greenhorn brought this to the West? I took his Colt and was shocked by the sissy light hammer pull. Hickok would have thrown it into Cherry Creek

Last I checked, this started as a man’s sport, with the women and children welcome if they could handle the equipment. Oh, I know their springs and things had to be lightened, but you’d expect this with women and children, not men. Good gosh, some of these guns have been so afflicted they border on being unsafe to use! I see no excuse for a man to dress like a tough hombre and shoot a sissified firearm. I’ve said in the past, the gun manufacturers used heavy springs for a reason, principally safety and surety of fire. Yes, I know the coil springs that these new fangeled gunsmiths are using are strong and reliable, but chopping up a good Colt or Winchester to use ‘em just don’t make a heck of a lot of sense!

Everybody says they need an edge in this here Cowboy Action Shooting™, but what’s wrong with using the guns with stock parts and learning to use them “as is” to build an edge? Strengthen your thumbs, your wrists and arms with practice, by gum, instead of tricks. I will wager those who have these slick sissy guns can’t hold a candle to the cowboy shooters who shoot as we did in old Denver. Duelist I think you call it today. That’s where you use one hand to shoot your Colt, if I’m not mistaken, and your lever action rifle goes CHUNK-CHUNK instead of KISS-KISS when you lever a round. Say, that reminds me of my first cowboy shoot ever some 15 years back.

Lassiter was in attendance, and we all know and respect this man for his ability and style, and advocacy of the Cowboy Action hobby. A friendlier, more helpful gentleman would be hard to find. I had never seen him shoot, and I followed his stages all day. I saw that, at the time, he was using a Colt with a lightened action and a two handed hold, gunfighter I think you call it. He also had a shotgun that he loaded from the side while it was still at his shoulder, quite a sight to see indeed. I was using a side-byside hammer gun.

We both had our share of misses that day, but when the tally was read off that afternoon, he had only outshot me by seven seconds! I knew those seconds had been eaten up by my double shotgun fumbling, but my point here is that I had never done this before, and I was using stock, original antique guns with factory springs, and I still nearly matched him. All my previous shooting for years had been with unaltered Colts and Winchesters. I feel this illustrates clearly all the light springs and overpolished parts in the world still can’t help if you don’t know your firearms and how to shoot them. And, I also feel I am not the only person who has seen the sport degenerate into, what’s that called again, oh yes, Cowboy IPSIC. Furthermore, we issue a challenge to those sissy gun shooters: Meet us anytime, anywhere, using stock firearms, and we’ll see who has the “edge!”

Best drama .....?

When a hot casing goes down her blouse !?  Does the TO help retrieve the hot brass ??

even saw a shotgun shell go down once..... (Happy eyes emoji)

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

If all you're going to wear is Wranglers and a shirt, why even bother?  You're ruining the sport for the rest of us. :angry:

There should be a category for 100% bone stock guns.  You whippersnappers with your race guns are ruining the sport. :angry:

Those targets are ridiculous. If I lean forward far enough I can touch them.  What ever happened to actual marksmanship? This is supposed to be a test of skill, not just how fast you can make your guns go bang. :angry:

How much caffeine did you have today?  :lol:

OLG 

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

If all you're going to wear is Wranglers and a shirt, why even bother?  You're ruining the sport for the rest of us. :angry:

I use to never wear Wranglers at a match. 

Then it turned into a thing.

So now that is all I wear. 

14 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I use to never wear Wranglers at a match. 

Then it turned into a thing.

So now that is all I wear. 

Me too, I never liked the way the "Cowboy pants" fit. Jeans are so comfortable. I still wear a vest, boots and cowboy shirts. and oh a GOOD HAT, gotta have a good hat!

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Everything is stoopid ...

Well I agree with that. You ask What ever happened.... I don't think that wire debates or opinions have as much impact as they once did. Seems like some things have just followed the wind.

Snakebite

8 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

due to the inadequacy of talent in spotters, gf are not allowed to shoot all out

What about them that are shooting GF because it's hard to spot - apologies to my GF friends but you know it happens.

Somebody has too much time on there hands.

Stirring the Pot.

Beating a dead horse.

I thought it was nice not to see all of that on the wire.

Bring Back Modern Category !!!!!!!

Forget Ruger Blackhawks, I shoot Colt New Frontiers with adjustable signs

Real Cowboys shoot Colts :D:P:angry::rolleyes:

Still trying to decide whether my jeans are designer or not.  Once wore my shotgun belt above my belly button to see if there was an advantage.  Couldn't tell if I had a foot behind the table.  

8 hours ago, MizPete said:

What about them that are shooting GF because it's hard to spot - apologies to my GF friends but you know it happens.

It's the misbelief that this sport is about being fair/ equal to all.  A top two handed shooter shoots fast and you'll hear  people saying they couldn't keep up.   But what's the call?  Clean. Benefit of doubt.  Assumption that they did it right.   A gf shoots even moderately fast and it's assumed we did it wrong.  Total double standard.     

Then you hear the argument that because we get to have two guns out its fair to have more restrictions.  Which is pure b.s. we are already doing something that is much harder which is restricting enough as it is. 

1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

It's the bs that this sport is about being fair/ equal to all.  A top two handed shooter shoots fast and you'll hear  people saying they couldn't keep up.   But what's the call?  Clean. Benefit of doubt.  Assumption that they did it right.   A gf shoots even moderately fast and it's assumed we did it wrong.  Total double standard.     

Then you hear the argument that because we get to have two guns out its fair to have more restrictions.  Which is pure b.s. we ate already doing something that is much harder which is restricting enough as it is. 

Then add black powder smoke. 

15 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

There should be a category for 100% bone stock guns.  You whippersnappers with your race guns are ruining the sport. :angry:

14 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Those targets are ridiculous. If I lean forward far enough I can touch them.  What ever happened to actual marksmanship? This is supposed to be a test of skill, not just how fast you can make your guns go bang. 

I'm nothing in the sport but I tend to agree. Its one of the reasons I prefer to do my own skills and comps with friends. The cat sneeze level loads and short stroke kits in particular dont make any sense to me. Then again I also like sword fencing but hate the way olympic fencers now whip each other with things that more resemble car antennas. For some sword types they dont even use handles anymore, the swords have little pistol grips so you can flick them faster. 

In the good old days, we used to throw dynamite or toss a lariat on a fence post or other fun things. Now all we do is shoot close and fast (and I'm not that fast).

What happened to the reloads and bonus targets that were at the back of the berm?

What happened to the 60 second average stage times? Now we shoot for a total time of less than 2 minutes and it takes half the day to do it.

I want to come and shoot and not do any work. It's the entitlement age isn't it?

What's the best _____________?

58 minutes ago, stef75 said:

cat sneeze level loads

Is this what happens when a mouse farts?:huh:

What the real burning question is, 

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Ridin' the range alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
And Roy and Rex, the Durango Kid?

Archived