SASS Wire Forum

Mag Extension Win73

Harry II Late

If it has a full length mag now then there must be something in the tube taking up space to limit the capacity. A full length 24 inch barreled mag should hold 13 or 14.

There is probably a dowel or something else in the magazine to limit the number of rounds to 10. Some states require that for sale in their states, it is easily remedied.

10 minutes ago, Harry II Late said:

WINCHESTER Model 534277141 26" bbl. 9+1 Capacity 45 Colt. 

Yes it has a limiter in the magazine and it’s easy to fix, I had one.

A mag extension would be an illegal external modification and against SASS rules.    Take out the restrictor (probably a CA capacity limiter), make sure you have a mag spring that works correctly after that is removed, and you will find that thing holds about 18 rounds!  This all assumes you do NOT reside in CA or other state that has a law prohibiting lever guns from having "high capacity".

Good luck, GJ

The rifle the OP has referenced is a half magazine rifle. 9+1 is likely the maximum that particular rifle will hold. It probably does not have a restricted magazine since it is only half length magazine.

winchester half mag.jpg

You will have to machine a dovetail in the barrel to take a longer mag tube.  See if you can buy a full mag tube then have a dovetail cut in the barrel at proper distance to mount the tube.  If you can't buy a new mag tube mic the I.D. of the old one then buy a tube from McMaster's have the ends machined to match your old one, get the barrel machined, order a mag spring the fits the full tube and go shoot.  Sounds harder than it is.  I have done a .25-20, a .30-30 and a .44 mag with a damaged mag tube.  You can do it with files but it will take time and work.

Buy the factory mag tube and spring for a standard 24” rifle.

You may also need a barrel/magazine ring.

Sorry, missed the Miroku information.  There fore, removed my suggestioin.

2 hours ago, Harry II Late said:

Nuts! Once the issue was understood I got some good advice. However if it would be an illegal modification it's a no-go. Bummer.

Redacted due to CC pointing out it is a Miroku, not Uberti.

Allow me to Butt In.  You're all missing some salient points.  The rifle in question is a Miroku Winchester.  The Miroku Winchester WILL NOT accept and function with Uberti parts.  A short round carrier from The Smith Shop is not an option.  A Short Rifle mag tube from Uberti is also not an option.  If an extended magazine is desired, the only choice is a Miroku Winchester Magazine, Spring, Follower and hanger parts.  Perhaps a Miroku Winchester carbine barrel band would serve.  HOWEVER:

Before jumping through all THOSE hoops, I'd suggest Abilene's suggestion of 10 Schofields just might be doable.  Schofield rounds may well not cycle with any bullets shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  WORTH A TRY.  Gobs cheaper too  :rolleyes:

You only "need" two to three inches of spring beyond the end of the magazine.  Unfortunately, the rifle in question has a shot magazine and I don't know how much spring is in that particular magazine.  NO.  You cannot shorten the follower.

California does not put a magazine capacity limit on lever guns.

Penal Code section 16740:

As used in this part, “large-capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:

(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

(b) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.

(c) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

The enlightened folks who wrote the CA gun laws apparently believe a lever gun to be a clumsy device, and incapable of inflicting harm on the sheep, nor capable of fast shooting...

My Henry Frontier 22LR holds 16 in the tube.

One possible source of a Miroku magazine tube might be Doug Turnbull.  He did a lot of custom work on those rifles and, if he doesn't have the right part, he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

Although the magazine tubes from a Uberti and a Miroku 1873 are slightly different diameter, it hard for me to believe that there aren't some of our cowboy gunsmiths out there that couldn't modify a Uberti magazine to fit and function properly.  If they have a mill, they could make any small parts needed for the modification.  I know gunsmiths that can do this type of work.  The question is, how much money are you willing to spend to accomplish this?  Sometimes it's cheaper to sell the rifle and buy something that you don't have to put a lot of money into. 

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

...The enlightened folks who wrote the CA gun laws apparently believe a lever gun to be a clumsy device, and incapable of inflicting harm on the sheep, nor capable of fast shooting....

Hopefully they don't get a look at some of our shooters on Youtube...:wacko:

Try putting a short oal Schofield in first then your standard rounds. You can also  mill the tube screw in half and u can cut some coils off of the spring and stretch it to  the desired length. 

Hells Comin 

Worst case, find a good gunsmith who does them all the time. I'd assume the US has guys who do this. In Australia even with our far smaller market, this is not an uncommon request. I've seen gunsmiths use aftermarket parts, other manufactuers tubes, even knock them up out of other types of pipe or hydraulic tube and make them look fancy.  I will say the guns are quite expensive here to start with so its possible custom work is more cost effective versus buying a new gun here. ... Maybe its cheaper for you to buy a new one off the shelf as suggested, but I'd still check some prices before you give up.

Archived