SASS Wire Forum

How about a Lemat?

Trigger Mike

In the spirit of changing the subject from the odd world happenings, how about we talk about the Lemat?  How good is the Pietta Lemat?  Is it more reliable than the Pietta 1860 army?  In my experience Pietta 1860 army pistols misfired more than Uberti or second generation Colt. 

I consider the Le Mat a crew served weapon.

Definitely not for everybody.  Like as not, not a good SASS "weepon", since stages may have to be timed with a calendar.  But, it is a really neat reproduction to own.  It is a challenge to load, and to fire.  It is ungainly.  It is different, so much so, that it gets lots of attention at the gun range, and lots of requests to shoot it.  It isn't cheap, unless you find a used one.  We all are in this hobby for various reasons, and are interested in the "weepons" of the old west, and the war-between-the-states.  It is really great to load, and fire, an old west/war design, that our forbearers used, and that may have helped them survive to eventually get us here.

Who knows....your great-great-great-great grandmother may have used a LeMat to protect the Studebaker Conestoga, or the bunkhouse, or the ranch, while your great-great-great-great grandfather was off hunting, or down in the settlements, at the local watering hole, quaffing down the concoction that passed for whiskey.    

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

It would be really cool if a local club let you load all nine chambers plus the shotgun, rest the hammer between cylinders and only need one gun per stage. 

Or if there is only two SG tgts you can use two pistols and forgo carrying the Shotgun.

5 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Or if there is only two SG tgts you can use two pistols and forgo carrying the Shotgun.

I like that. Or 3 shotgun targets and you could hit one with the lemat. Unfair advantage? Sure thing. Just use a LeMat to even up the odds haha 

Call me a weirdo, but I'd pay good money for a cartridge conversion of the lemat. 

And no, don't ask me how to make that work.  That's why I'd buy it instead of inventing it myself.  I assume you'd have to make it a break open or swing out. 

10 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

image.png

The old TV series Johnny Ringo also had a converted model.

1 hour ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

I remember seeing somebody made a cartridge conversion lately.  Name is on the tip of my tongue but can't spit it out.  I think he worked for Kirst at one time.

Unless I dreamed it all up :wacko:

Here is a link discussing converting a Lemat

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=31345.0

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

With a LeMat, wouldn't you be able to load (but not cap) all 9 chambers?  Seems like this would offer some kind of minor advantage, especially on stages that require a re-load.

You would DEFINITELY want to cap them before firing the first one though.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You would DEFINITELY want to cap them before firing the first one though.

I'd like to see what some peoples experience with that is.  I've never tried firing a C&B pistol with an uncapped (but loaded) chamber - but I've also read that the chain firing problem is from sparks jumping around the front of the cylinder rather than over the cones (so chain-firing from the rear just doesn't happen).

I've also read on SASS that folks will load 6 / cap 5 on the colts and remmingtons, and then cap that 6th on the clock if there's a misfire (or need for a reload).  

So anybody that has experience with this please chime in (as I don't).  

1 minute ago, Bart Slade said:

I'd like to see what some peoples experience with that is.  I've never tried firing a C&B pistol with an uncapped (but loaded) chamber - but I've also read that the chain firing problem is from sparks jumping around the front of the cylinder rather than over the cones (so chain-firing from the rear just doesn't happen).

I've also read on SASS that folks will load 6 / cap 5 on the colts and remmingtons, and then cap that 6th on the clock if there's a misfire (or need for a reload).  

So anybody that has experience with this please chime in (as I don't).  

I don't have any direct experience because I have not tried it nor will I. I have shot a lot of BP in CAS and have seen photos of myself and others that show flames seemingly engulf the entire hand; so I believe it's totally possible.

I have had a chain fire because I didn't seat the balls correctly and that is not something I want to repeat if at all possible. 

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't have any direct experience because I have not tried it nor will I. I have shot a lot of BP in CAS and have seen photos of myself and others that show flames seemingly engulf the entire hand; so I believe it's totally possible.

I have had a chain fire because I didn't seat the balls correctly and that is not something I want to repeat if at all possible. 

I'll admit I hadn't considered that with a standard 6 shooter you're talking about one extra chamber firing (the uncapped chamber) - so two chambers firing simultaneously.  With a Lemat, there would be 4 uncapped chambers, so a possibility of 5 firing simultaneously.  Which would be a little more of a problem.  Especially with the loading lever on the side, where a misfiring chamber could hit it, causing who knows what to happen.

26 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If a c&w revolver is properly loaded, there is basically no chance of a chain fire from the front of the cylinder. If a uniform lead ring is shaved when loading, then the powder is safely sealed behind the ball. The only avenue for a spark would be from the rear, i.e. a missing or ill- fitting cap on a loaded chamber. It would be great to see a slo-mo filmed sequence of a chain fire. I have never seen one.

37 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

If a c&w revolver is properly loaded, there is basically no chance of a chain fire from the front of the cylinder. If a uniform lead ring is shaved when loading, then the powder is safely sealed behind the ball. The only avenue for a spark would be from the rear, i.e. a missing or ill- fitting cap on a loaded chamber. It would be great to see a slo-mo filmed sequence of a chain fire. I have never seen one.

Ask and thou shalt receive:

The LeMat revolver is interesting to look at and maybe fiddle around with, but I am not even interested in loading up an example of the LeMat and actually firing it.  This, because with my admitted limited knowledge the LeMat (which I do not care to expand upon), I consider the weapon a safety hazard, really.  

But, don’t let me stop you.  Y’all do what you want to do.

Cat. Brules

Archived