SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Knives

Sawhorse Kid

10" Case spear point Bowie with sambar stag scales.  It had sat in the back of the knife case at a local outdoors shop for at least 15 years before I bought it.  The old guy that owned the shop even gave it to me for the 1985 price that was on the sticker on the blade.

Bought a matching (with sambar stag scales) Case Barlow from the same fellow about the same time.  It had been around about as long as the Bowie and I think I paid all of $35 for it in '98 or '99.

To tell the truth, I've always thought that he was just glad to get rid of them.

I picked up a Damascus Wil Bromley 5" dagger at EOT'02, but I've never gotten around to taking a picture of it.

boot knife 1.jpg

Long knives I’m thinking, were  probably the heaviest eight-inch (8”) or longer, butcher knife from the general store.  But, the English exported A LOT of Sheffield-made Bowie-style knives to the US during the time of the Old West, and those were common, too.

Cat Brules

A bragging  knife I had given to me by the maker 'Jackson Rose from Missouri when he & his wife came down-under last year. If I remember rightly it was made from a horse shoe file & has a different pattern on each side.

016.JPG

I like this thread!  I have 2 Bowie’s and a Highland dirk, as far as big knives go.  (This isn’t the place for swords).  Anyway, the top is the “Iron Maiden” made In limited production (200?) by Generation 2 a few years ago.  The larger Bowie, I had made by Wick Ellerbie from Florida.  It’s based on the Musso Bowie.  I had my initials, “SM” instead of “JB”.  The dirk I have because.  I do wear it for Sons of the Am Rev Color Guard activities.

875E60DE-60D8-4E6D-BC2C-4358C6392221.thumb.jpeg.e7b8de49a28d3ed7bab404bc591312a6.jpeg

22 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Long knives I’m thinking, were  probably the heaviest eight-inch (8”) or longer, butcher knife from the general store.  But, the English exported A LOT of Sheffield-made Bowie-style knives to the US during the time of the Old West, and those were common, too.

Cat Brules

As handguns got more reliable, knives got smaller. 

Throw in repeaters like revolvers an you weren't limited to a shot- or 2 or 3  if you carried a brace of pistols- and cold steel any more, so knives became more of a tool than a secondary weapon and big knives are just too hard to handle for more delicate tasks.  A general use 5-7" blade makes more sense than toting a 14" pig sticker under those circumstances.

maybe not historically accurate, but...

cut-n-shoot.jpg

On 6/15/2020 at 4:36 PM, The Blarney Kid said:

My Scottish Dirk, with a Walker Colt for size comparison. I where it as a boot knife .

I suppose that the Walker is just a ' Pocket Pistol'    :D

Archived