SASS Wire Forum

Moving out West

Whiskey Hicks

Someday I definitely want to move out to Big Sky from Ohio. The girlfriend is opposed to anywhere in the Plains where she grew up. She’s also not wanting to be in the desert. It has to be green. 

Any suggestions? I’m thinking Wyoming, Utah or Colorado personally.

Please don't encourage anyone to move to Idaho. We have plenty of problems with Kalifornians in the Boise area. They leave their state and then vote for the same crap that caused them to leave. :huh:

4 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Please don't encourage anyone to move to Idaho. We have plenty of problems with Kalifornians in the Boise area. They leave their state and then vote for the same crap that caused them to leave. :huh:

Gun laws are definitely part of my consideration.

3 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

They leave their state and then vote for the same crap that caused them to leave. :huh:

How true this is.   I'm born and raised in Seattle, and FOR Seattle, I'm an arch conservative.   But if I moved to Idaho or Montana (or even eastern Washington), I'd probably be know as "the commie who lives down the street".   There are a lot of areas where I've been stealth indoctrinated.

No on Idaho? Fine with me. When I leave California I plan to go to America. Somewhere they’ll appreciate a lifelong Conservative. 

27 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The legalized weed here in Colorado has soured me to the whole place.  I hate the smell, and it's now everywhere.  Crime has been skyrocketing since legalization and the 50-pound brains are attributing it to the weed.

I've lived in Colorado for over 20 years (both pre & post pot legalization) and I don't think crime has increased. I'd like to know where your information comes from. We do have a meth problem, but so does everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I've lived in Colorado for over 20 years (both pre & post pot legalization) and I don't think crime has increased. I'd like to know where your information comes from. We do have a meth problem, but so does everyone else.

Big Sage, I forgot to quote you so you'd get the notification.  Look at the paper I hung above.

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No on Idaho? Fine with me. When I leave California I plan to go to America. Somewhere they’ll appreciate a lifelong Conservative. 

Thats probably rural any state.

2 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Someday I definitely want to move out to Big Sky from Ohio. The girlfriend is opposed to anywhere in the Plains where she grew up. She’s also not wanting to be in the desert. It has to be green. 

All three states are considered high desert.

Wyoming is green right now. Could turn brown in a month. Best summer is in Wyoming. Winters rough sometimes.

Least taxed state is Wyoming. Most gun friendly too. Don't come here if you want to change things.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We're pretty happy here in Springfield, Missouri. 

OLG 

Man, you need to take up bass fishing. You are in a perfect area for that. You have a nice lake for Muskie and bass nearby. 
https://vacationidea.com/missouri/lakes-in-missouri.html

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The file I just hung is a scientific, peer-reviewed paper on the effects of legalization in Colorado.

I never make emotional arguments; they are always rooted in fact.  

Legalization of Marijuana.pdf 3.11 MB · 5 downloads

That is an interesting report!  One stat that caught my eye:

"In 2013, 48.4 percent of Denver adult arrestees tested positive for marijuana which is a 16 percent increase from 2008."

So does that mean that people are getting high and committing crime, or does it mean that being high while committing a crime increases your likelihood of being caught?    Or is it so high because the crime of DUI falsely inflates it?

Or are the Denver police unfairly profiling pot smokers....

Montana sounds good. Western Montana's not prairie or desert, it's mountains and forests. 

As with Washington and Oregon, the parts east of the mountains and west of the mountains (the Cascades in those states) are totally different geographically and climate-wise.

14 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Montana sounds good. Western Montana's not prairie or desert, it's mountains and forests. 

As with Washington and Oregon, the parts east of the mountains and west of the mountains (the Cascades in those states) are totally different geographically and climate-wise.

And politically, at least as far as Oregon is concerned...

Grew up in Washington state, in Oregon now for a while. Both nice & green with mild weather, mountains & high desert, but they don’t call it the Left Coast for nothing. 

It all depends on how green you want it.  Dripping wet with moss growing everywhere - western Oregon or Washington will fit the bill.  If you just want mostly green with some sunny days any of the mountain states have some suitable locations.  Southwest Colorado has a high elevation plateau used for dry land farming of beans.  Its mostly green.  I'm going to the Revenge in Montrose next week.  It's in a huge green valley surrounded by the San Juan mountains.  Good shooting range and far from the population centers on the Eastern Slope.  However, gun laws are getting worse in Colorado.  I suggest you start vacationing in the mountainous western states and attend some of the bigger SASS matches.  You will find a place that calls you.  The mountain west is very different than eastern and plains states.  There are huge differences in climate due to elevation.  There are even some locations in Arizona or New Mexico that may be green enough.  The Mimbres Valley where the New Mexico state match will be held this year is a pretty, mostly green valley.  Arizona's Mogollon Rim is green and forested.  I like the towns of Payson and Show Low.

2 hours ago, Bart Slade said:

That is an interesting report!  One stat that caught my eye:

"In 2013, 48.4 percent of Denver adult arrestees tested positive for marijuana which is a 16 percent increase from 2008."

So does that mean that people are getting high and committing crime, or does it mean that being high while committing a crime increases your likelihood of being caught?    Or is it so high because the crime of DUI falsely inflates it?

Or are the Denver police unfairly profiling pot smokers....

All of your questions are valid, interesting, and unanswered in the report.  Most scientific papers have to limit their scope in order to realistically explore the topic at hand, and they almost always lead to new questions like the ones you asked.  So those would be excellent follow-on topics for future researchers.

People think Colorado is Denver. It isn’t. Big Sage and I live in the rural SW corner of Colorado. Nothing in common with the big cities like Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.

We looked at TX, CA, UT, MT, WY, AZ, NM, and NV before deciding on this location.

East Texas has a lot to offer.

Within a two hour drive of my house I have the choice of five SASS clubs and one NCOWS club.

Texas has a booming economy. Depending on the county, property taxes can be high but there is no income tax.

Texas is still gun friendly.

6 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The legalized weed here in Colorado has soured me to the whole place.  I hate the smell, and it's now everywhere.  Crime has been skyrocketing since legalization and the 50-pound brains are attributing it to the weed.

So it isn't just me that can't stand that STENCH??

6 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Vacations!! Go see for yourself what suits you!

6 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The file I just hung is a scientific, peer-reviewed paper on the effects of legalization in Colorado.

I never make emotional arguments; they are always rooted in fact.  

Legalization of Marijuana.pdf 3.11 MB · 9 downloads

Question for you. 

Since this report is using data from six years ago has there been any follow up since then you are aware of?

Also you mentioned patrolling “the ghetto”, where was that?

It has been a while but I grew up in Northglenn, Westminster, Thornton, Brighton, Henderson and Commerce City and am unfamiliar with where the ghetto is.

Don’t really care to go back much but family obligations pop up and make it a necessity sometimes. Much prefer the western slope these days.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

9 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I thought you said you wanted to move out west. Those states are practically the east coast 

17 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I thought you said you wanted to move out west. Those states are practically the east coast 

Chicago is as far West in the US I’ve been except for the San Fran airport when I lived in Japan for a year.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

People think Colorado is Denver. It isn’t. Big Sage and I live in the rural SW corner of Colorado. Nothing in common with the big cities like Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.

Except the laws and regulations.

Western Montana.....in Kalispell as we speak, first time up here on this side of Glacier.  Beautiful area, open skies, mountains and trees all around, kids would move here today as it reminds them of a Midwest feel with west geography. Very conservative area, further east can get very desolate and less trees.  Lots of pick up trucks....funny how you notice the difference.

Idaho Panhandle...much the same but not as open to some extent ..lots of trees and mountains.... beautiful. Coeur D’Alene area especially.  Pretty conservative.

Washington State...Lots of variety....could be on the sound and explore the water or take ferry’s across, then up into mountains and snow part of the year.  High desert and semi arid areas around Yakima and until Spokane.  Can see apple and cherry orchards,  brussel  sprouts, taters, onions, corn, hay, tons of wineries and vineyards.  It’s like 3 states in one.  You don’t have to go inland much past Seattle to have it turn more conservative but King county rules the state and as you can see has been in the news a lot lately.  I don’t have to go into the city ever, and one trip I took my wife downtown she said never again....Traffic is horrible, homeless are all over the sound.  I travel all over the state and get to see it all....the San Juan Islands would be my pick, but I like the quiet places :)  Skagit valley area by Mount Vernon and Anacortes is beautiful...rural area but close to everything.  I live by Gig Harbor so I have water 5 minutes away in 3 directions and saw my first Orcas 10 minutes from the house :)

It is expensive in any of these areas, one drawback up here but to us, compared to the Midwest it’s worth the extra money due to so much more to do here.

Oh lived in Colorado too....spent time in Springs, Fort Collins area, and Pueblo as wife from Colorado.  She prefers the Pacific Northwest.  Too many people along front range in CO, as Bob said some of the off the beaten path areas would offer more land and house for the buck. 

Before you move anywhere I highly recommend that you visit the areas you are interested for at least a few days each and actually try to see the area as if you live there. Commute, go shopping, watch people, etc. Don’t broadcast that you are interested in moving their. Act as if you do live there when you go to restaurants, motels, stores, etc. Watch people and how they interact. Regardless of the country or the scenery it is people and their actions and attitudes that make or break an ideal or not so ideal place to live. 

As soon as people know you are looking to move “the veil” comes up, along with smiling faces with unsmiling eyes. 
When you pick an area do not buy all in on any one town or location. Move there into temporary accommodations and go through life while exploring the surrounding areas IF YOU CAN. Sometimes this just isn’t possible. If you commute for work go leave home early and go to the place or town you are interested in commuting from to your work to see what it will be like. As people pointed questions about laws, unknown taxes, fees, regulations. One county or town might have silly laws that make things difficult or less desirable. Find out about utilities and services. Most of all, watch people. 

I have lived all over this great country of ours. I have moved a lot in my life. I have made moves that turned out very nice and others I would have done differently. The one common denominator that affects life everywhere I have gone is the people in general. How they interact. How they treat one another. How they treat you as a stranger. Watch how they live. 

Something my wife does that I think is neat. She goes on line and finds the local webpages for social interaction and local events. She reads all the local gossip, complaints, neighborhood boards, etc. We learn if a tight is a bunch of nibby regulation hungry tight***es or if folks are truly liking the area or town they live. You can also get a feel for the politics and the local government. 

Good luck with your search. :)

Archived