SASS Wire Forum

Ruger vs smith and wesson 9mm revolver

Trigger Mike

I have never seen, let alone shot, a Ruger LCR of any description.

I do have, however, much experience with my Smith & Wesson 940.

1937609194_940-19mmJ-frame.thumb.jpg.7b558e831fbdc073910ebccc2c50fb80.jpg

I'm not really sure what your question is, but I like my Smith.

I had a Smith 940 with a 3" barrel about 10 years ago.  I found that brass cases stuck while fired and still hot.  I carried with nickel-plated cases.  This is likely the type of thing that's varies from one gun to another.  All else was good.

I would guess the Smith 986 would be a fun gun , but it and the Ruger LCR are not exactly in the same category if you are talking "pocket pistol".

The Smith is bigger all over , and weighs almost twice as much as the Ruger , 31.4 oz for the 986 , 17.2 for the LCR.

This is assuming you mean the 2 1/2" barrel Smith.

I wouldn't mind owning either , but already have a 442 that I hardly ever carry.

Rex :D

Outside of a competition/target shooting gun that requires rapid reloads I do not much care for revolvers that use moon clips.

I find the clips to be prone to getting bent and binding up the gun. 

I can sort of see the appeal to have a 9mm revolver if one was trying to share a common caliber with other 9mms, but with all the widely available loads from mild to hot for the 38 special I can see no advantage a 9mm version would have to offer in a revolver.  S&W used to offer a J frame but I believe it was discontinued do to lack of popularity.  There were also rumors of sticky or difficult extraction caused by rough chambers, but honestly I have no first hand experience with these particular models.

21 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

The ruger lacks a good rear sight for my eyes and holds 5 rounds but the smith and wesson holds 7 rounds and has a real read sight.  I don't know how the smith fires or feels.  

TM, you're being overly kind.  The Ruger LCR sights just plain suck.

My .38 LCRx shoots low.  VERY low.  

No wonder... the front sight is significantly taller that the top of the rear sight groove in the frame, as depicted in this picture of a standard LCR.

LCR shooting low

Archived