SASS Wire Forum

Which is better 51 or 60 army

Trigger Mike

I have a '51 Colt and a Remington NMA - I prefer the lockwork on the Colt (I've never had a problem with the Remington, but it just feels more flimsy).  

I like the less cap jams on the Remington.

51 or 60 is mostly ascetics. Same design and either one can be had with Army or Navy grips.

I prefer the sight picture on the Colts over the Remington.

Colts require more tuning than the Remington.

Colts have fewer issues with the arbor binding up from BP fouling than the Remington design. 

My preference is for the 1851 pattern, 44 caliber Pietta guns with 1860 grips.  Best of both worlds.  Plus Pietta new build 1851s now have a really nice rendition of the Colt 1851 Grips.  Wunderbar!!  Properly set up for CAS, as reliable as a Suppository Shooter you betcha.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

for more profitable debates, which is better, 1851 or the 1860?  We can keep it to the same caliber if you want. 

I prefer the 1858 remington myself.

Real Navy pistols were .36 and Armys were .44.  No Colt or Remington belt gun hd a brss frame.

I am getting a pair of 1860 Uberti pistols finished up and will have two very respectable "barbecue guns" when finished.

The answer to this question is the same answer given by an old cowboy, while being interviewed by a young reporter.

At the end of the interview, the reporter said, "I have one more question.  I have always wondered.  Do real cowboys prefer briefs, or boxers?

The old cowboy thought a minute, and said: "Depends". 

Archived