SASS Wire Forum

Anyone riding the Indian Chief?

There’s a pard called Injun Ryder that does.

I have no experience with the newer Harleys and none with Indians, but if I were considering either I would definitely choose the Indian. I have heard nothing but good about Indian motorcycles and their customer service. 

I was talking with a salesperson at our local Harley shop. Told him I was thinking about an Indian. He showed me the blue book values. So far the Indians are not holding value at all. Also...Indian does not have near the dealer network of Harley. Might be harder to get parts and service.

32 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I was talking with a salesperson at our local Harley shop. Told him I was thinking about an Indian. He showed me the blue book values. So far the Indians are not holding value at all. Also...Indian does not have near the dealer network of Harley. Might be harder to get parts and service.

For a person not concerned with selling their vehicle, but instead riding it "until the wheels fall off," blue book doesn't mean a lot. Harley's network may have problems of their own if Harley Davidson keeps having more and more financial problems. I haven't read anything positive about their financial condition in awhile, and that was before the world went topsy-turvy.

From what the salesperson said...a lot of people are afraid the board of the parent company...no motorcyclists on the board...all bankers and lawyers...may pull the plug on Indian like they did on Victory. In fact the sales person I talked with said they should have kept Victory instead. I know the Victory was getting a larger and larger following

Yep and  Victory made an absolutely fantastic motorcycle, til Polaris yanked the plug.

Victories are dirt cheap even with hardly any miles. Indian/Polaris are supposed to support/service/provide parts for those til 2027.
I am finding Indians as much

$8000 cheaper than comparable Harley with similar miles but Harley would be 7-8 years older. I have one dealer 30 mins away. Anyway Harley -Indians same/similar condition, but I find tires and seals age just the same even if the chrome is all shiny.....

One thing on Harleys, I read 85% of American bike market is HD.. The company could go belly up and the independent shops, aftermarket parts and accessories for Harleys could support the bikes out there. They’re much like Jeep Cj,TJ, wranglers etc. Cottage industry....

I may expose my ignorance, but I think from a styling standpoint, Harley has done little to change or innovate. They make what sells and it sells well. In fact I went in yesterday, and the accessories and options for customization blew me away, more than my Jeep by far. But......compared to Victory, Indian, the jap lines, technology appears to be about 5-10 years back. And hey, I can pick up a 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700 with 11,000 miles for $3500 right now that looks brand new not a single flaw. Liquid cooled. 
And hey, I loved my old Honda CB, I wouldn’t mind having  a KZ900 or 1000 to beat around on, though I could get a new Kawasaki Z900 or W800 for half a fully restored to factory original KZ 1000 and not have to worry about parts. I have to ride the wife too.....

Nice Indian, Injun Rider. Very nice, but I refrain from that kinda money and antiques in general.

I would go with the Road King myself, I had one and wish I still had it, traded it for a triglide, just wish I would have kept it. Now as far as Indians, I personally don't like the looks of them and never have even the oldies, just me. As someone pointed out they got rid of the Victory and that could happen to Indian, never know, I was surprised they got rid of the victory, it seemed to be a popular bike around this area or at least one time, I know their is one Indian in this town is all I know, they are many many harley's.

Road King is a very good touring bike but not loaded down with a fairing and tour pak, you can add this to the road king, have seen pics of them, but after spending the money on these and the paint, just as well go with a ultra. My money is on the road king

All for now JD Trampas

I have 2019 Harley Road glide with the new Milwaukee 8 engine. The torque curve is amazing. Try test riding both new and used of both Indian and Harley each person likes are different. Of the 2 I would choose Roadking one of the best rides I've tried. I chose my Road glide because it has the fairing and entertainment system

My brother has been a bike nut since he was 16. He got into Harleys maybe 10 years ago. One of his has over 100K miles on it and the heads have never been off. He's on an Ultra now after some woman ran into his previous bike. I think the big Indians of a few years back were powered by S&S motors and more recent models had engines made by the company. I haven't kept up with bikes lately so I could be wrong.

I've seen the underbelly of both Harley and Indian.  If I had to pick one over the other, I would hold my nose and pick Harley.  Anything connected with Polaris has a real taint for me.  Old Man Greybeard is right.  At least Harley's directors will get out and ride.  Polaris is just out for the money.  A lot of very valid points about distribution, dealerships, and aftermarket parts.  All important issues when considering which model to purchase.  If you can find an old Indian, that would be a different story but then you wouldn't worry about dealers and service as you would be doing your own work.

I gave up motorcycles years back.  I like to put the top down and cruise.  If the weather is inclement, I put the top up and carry on.  They may not be as sexy, but Honda's seem to last forever.

Everybody has an opinion...

Mine is that Harley's and Indian's are both overweight and underpowered.

The H-D Sportster is anything but sporty.  Top heavy, underpowered and no suspension.

The new Indian Scouts are better, marginally.

I had a 2012 H-D Ultra.  12,000 miles in 8 months and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

It was a beautiful motorcycle.  But you can't ride aesthetics and it was gawd-awful heavy.  I couldn't get comfortable on it.

I found Sonny Barger's opinion to be amusing...  :rolleyes:

Sonny Barger, former president of the Oakland Hell’s Angel chapter and easily the best known of all Angels, reveals how the Angels decided on Harley for their machines.

“Unlike today, they didn’t have much choice. In 1975 it was either ride a Harley or settle for a Triumph or BSA. They’d already stopped building Indians. It’s always been important for Hell’s Angels to ride American-made machines.

“In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don’t like Harleys. I ride them because I’m in the club and that’s the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or BMW.

“We all missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I’ll usually say, ‘f.. Harley-Davidson!’  You can buy an ST1100 and the motherf..... will do 110 miles per hour right from the factory all day long."

Sonny goes on to add a qualification. “However, Japanese motorcycles don’t have as much personality. Many would argue that’s still true today while Japanese owners would argue that their machines have the reliability factor.

His view is expressed is in his autobiography, Hell’s Angel: the Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell’s Angels Motorcycle Club.

I ride a '17 Road King.  It has the Milwaukee 8 107 engine.  I love everything about it but the stock seat, which I'm going to replace with a Saddlemen Road Sofa.

2017 road king waterloo.jpg

5 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

My brother is the supervisor of the team who designed the engine.  If you have any engine questions I can refer them to him.

Designed which engine?

5 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Everybody has an opinion...

Mine is that Harley's and Indian's are both overweight and underpowered.

The H-D Sportster is anything but sporty.  Top heavy, underpowered and no suspension.

The new Indian Scouts are better, marginally.

I had a 2012 H-D Ultra.  12,000 miles in 8 months and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

It was a beautiful motorcycle.  But you can't ride aesthetics and it was gawd-awful heavy.  I couldn't get comfortable on it.

So what motorcycle do you prefer compared to these?

Ok so here’s one:

4 year old Indian Chief with 2 years left on factory warranty 111ci

vs 

8 year old Road King 96 ci

Both 8-12,000 mile range. Identical price. $9-10,000 range. Similar cosmetic upgrades. Both stock exhaust. Stock engines.

I'd go with the Harley, the Indians I've rode didn't seem to have any low end torque, had to keep them wound up, I don't particularly like that.

I'd go for the Electra glide standard since it doesn't have a bunch of gadgets, and it has a fairing, it nice to have a place to hide in the cold and rain.  Only problem for me is I'm tall with arms that drag on the ground, so I'd put 12 or 14" apes on yo make it a little more comfortable, but nothing compares to my 76 Electra glide. :D

20170708_190202.jpg

8 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

So what motorcycle do you prefer compared to these?

My current bike is a 2014 BMW R1200GSA, bought new.

The only issue I have is it's tall.  I can't flat-foot it, I'm either on the balls of both feet or one foot on the peg and one flat on the ground.

They now have a factory lowered version which I can flat-foot.

It's listed at 575 pounds.  I love the upright riding position with my feet under me and a nice reach to the bars without having to stretch or slouch.  Factory cruise control, 8 inches suspension travel front and rear, telelever front suspension keeps the front end from diving under braking, and with an 8 gallon fuel tank I have an honest 300 mile range, whether I need it or not.

I ride a 2012 fatboy softail.

I'm pushing 35,000 miles on it.

You would have a hard time getting off my bike for another brand.

I did have the opportunity to ride an Indian. Don't remember the model but was trimmed out with a windshield, brown leather seat and Saddlebags.

I rented this bike from eagle rider in las Vegas. 

I rode from las Vegas to Saint George Utah to death valley and back to Vegas.

The bike was as smooth as glass and handled wonderfully.

If you have your heart set on a Indiana, get it you won't be disappointed. 

But you still won't get me off my Harley. 

Also I ride my bike to shoots.

I had a scabbard made to hold the long guns and made a cart that fits in my tour pack. 

20200605_184104.jpg

20200602_193447.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I do like about a 14” ape. I have looked at each with apes but the one Harley with them was way way overpriced 

When on the open interstate, I'll set my cruise control and hold onto the upper portion of the mirror stems.  Same effect as ape hangers.  That said, I do not enjoy slow speed maneuvering or high speed transitions with my hands that high up.

20191205_152606.jpg

20191205_152543.jpg

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

When on the open interstate, I'll set my cruise control and hold onto the upper portion of the mirror stems.  Same effect as ape hangers.  That said, I do not enjoy slow speed maneuvering or high speed transitions with my hands that high up.

20191205_152606.jpg

20191205_152543.jpg

I wouldn't like them on a bike that handles well either, but Harley's are about 60 years behind the times in that department.

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

20191205_152606.jpg

20191205_152543.jpg

That’s a nice setup. I don’t hate on any motorcycle. 
14” Apes put top of my knuckles just at shoulder height. Highway pegs and backrest and I can kick right back. If I lived in the Rockies, I could see having a cruiser/tour bike and a dual sport/adventure bike.

37 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

That’s a nice setup. I don’t hate on any motorcycle. 
14” Apes put top of my knuckles just at shoulder height. Highway pegs and backrest and I can kick right back. If I lived in the Rockies, I could see having a cruiser/tour bike and a dual sport/adventure bike.

Thank you.

I had a cruiser (Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic I bought in 2005) when I bought my last sport/tourer (Yamaha FJR 1300 that I bought in 2007).  I found myself getting into trouble after spending time on the FJR and then going back to the Vulcan - scraping hard parts in turns & corners.  That's also when I discovered I preferred the upright seating position with my back straight and my feet under me.

When I retired from the Navy I decided I wanted a tourer with cruise control and a radio/  At that time the various H-D baggers and the Honda Gold Wing were the only real contenders.  The big BMW K1600 was too new for me.  I went with aesthetics when everyone I knew and even my brain told me the Gold Wing was what I wanted.

I use the GSA as my sport-tourer now.  It doesn't have the power of some of the others but the ride is the best - for me.

I spent this past Saturday riding up Mount Vesuvius and along the Amalfi Coast in Italy.  Great rides.  But there were more than a few H-Ds on the road, too.

Before I got Harley #5, I was looking hard at the Victory.
I liked everything about the engine, but the transmission had chronic problems since inception.
That was a deal breaker for me.

I don't like big heavy bikes... I'm too small to handle a 900 pound gorilla.
I have a 2008 Harley Roadster that works well for me.
It is the only year Roadster with the large fuel tank, and the last of the split speedo/tach gauges.
It is the nicest HD I've ever owned.

Q: for Injun Ryder:  does Arizona do annual motorcycle inspections?

My Harley has a Stage-1 exhaust...
CA for some reason does not smog motorcycles, but I still have hopes of moving to Prescott.

I would have to say my very most favorite bike was the Yamaha RD400.
Great solo, but anemic when two-up.

When I retired from the Navy i decided I wanted a Harley. Advice I was ever given is to buy a model that has all the accessories you want as standard equipment as it will save you a lot of money. I went with the Herritage Softail. I figured to ride it to and from work and take the occasional weekend ride. Joined the local H.O.G chapter and wound up putting about 1000 miles a month on it. Had to add a bigger pillion seat for the wife, luggage rack and buy some nice bike friendly touring luggage within the first 6 months. had the bike about a year and blew a fork seal. Took it to the dealership for repair and before I made it out the door I wound up with a Ultra Classic to go with my Softtail. 

Touring on the Ultra Classic was great. Plenty of room for everything needed for a weekend trip. Very comfortable with a second set of pegs on the crash bar. Intercom, Stereo, and cruise control, Wired in a Kenwood Keg so that we could listen to audio books that I ripped to MP-3 format. Riding in the high desert was relaxing and very enjoyable. I could ride 500 miles a day and only see 20 or 30 cars all day. Between the two bikes I was racking up about 13,000 miles a year.

Moved to Texas 6 years later and riding was no so much fun anymore. Interstates were very crowded with lots of 18 wheelers. Inattentive a**Hats were everywhere. Having to cruise at 75 on two wheels became a chore and it took a lot of concentration to keep from being splattered. After 8 hours in the saddle I was physically and mentally exhausted.

Speed limits on the secondary roads were almost as high as the interstate, so slowing down and enjoying the scenery was dangerous as everyone else was in a hurry and being rear-ended soon was something I was constantly aware of.

Quite riding to work when I had 3 close calls over a 6 day span. Thank you MSF for those Basic and Advance riders courses. After that I gave up riding to work. I figured the man upstairs was trying to tell me something.

A few months later the wife and I decided to call it quits. Several friends we knew had been in serious accidents with the cage drivers at fault every time.

The icing on the cake came when she watched a car make a left turn from the RH lane, cutting in front of a bike and sending the rider flying through the air. He landed helmet first on the pavement and skidded to a stop unmoving.  She had to sit there while EMS worked on him. Eventually a care flight helo arrived, loaded him up and transported the rider to the hospital.

I really miss riding. Out in the high desert it was therapy for my soul. Took just enough concentration that I could push everything else out of my mind. No watches, No phones, no time tables or deadlines. Just pick a direction and ride.

The wife and I discovered CAS searching for a hobby to replace motorcycling. It was featured on Shooting Gallery which was hosted by Wolf Bane. It looked like fun and the more we researched it the more we liked it.

I will say that as fun as CAS is; touring on our bikes was more enjoyable.

Archived