SASS Wire Forum

Sourdough starter?

Not at this time, mainly because I'm cooking for only two now, and there are some things that we can't be trusted with (like things you make out of sourdough starter.  The pancakes were soooooooooo good).  There was a time I kept one going for several years.

Hi Marshal Mo Hare

Imma Daisy here on the Mr’s .  I’ve had my starter since early April.  I use mine about once a week, thought it best to cut back a bit, lol 

The pancakes, cinnamon rolls and Dutch oven bread is awesome!

i have found that when you feed it let it sit out until it gets nice and bubbly then stir it down and store in frig.  I’ve left mine in there 4-5 days before feeding it..works great.  

Happy Baking

What do you feed it?  Yeast?  More flour?  Water?  Milk?

Cat Brules

Mine is 52 years old, I bake for Scouts, shooting matches, family, friends and dutch oven contests.  No metal. Remember to refresh it.

3 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Mine is 52 years old, I bake for Scouts, shooting matches, family, friends and dutch oven contests.  No metal. Remember to refresh it.

You can really keep it going that long?  That's friggin' dedication!!  Of course, you are a Marine, so I'm assuming at some point someone told you that you couldn't do it!  LOL

My Idaho great grandma told me what to do. I had a smartass cousin that wrecked hers so I began my own.  

I have Southern Idaho buddies that have even older starts.

Good stuff comes from our old, brown crocks. ;)

19 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

How many here have a sourdough starter going?  How old is it? How often do you use it? Any tips?

We got our start from a family friend 50-odd years ago.  Usage frequency varies from weekly to close to a month between uses.  The stuff is virtually bulletproof.  If it sits unused for too long, some nasty gray water will accumulate on top.  No worries, stir it back in, feed it...you're good to go.

Aunt Hada Nuff does biscuits, breads, "buffins" (a cross between biscuits and muffins) and has recently started doing sourdough pizza crusts. Food of the Gods.

"Ad"

Archived