SASS Wire Forum

Model 1897 Half-Cock Question

Marshal Jennison

I took out the carrier on my Winchester 1897 to take apart and clean.  I then  put it back together, reassembled the gun and did a function test.  I noticed that when the hammer is at the half-cock position and apply pressure to the trigger, the hammer moves back a tiny bit.  It doesn't trip, but there's a slight backward movement.  Is this normal?  I just got the gun recently and didn't notice if that was the case before I removed the carrier for cleaning. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.   

Thank you, Marshal Jennison

Yep, sounds like the sear engagement on the half cock notch is a positive angle, thus pulling trigger slightly pushes hammer back further.   What would be a failure would be if the trigger being pulled with hammer in half-cock caused the hammer to fall - due to the half-cock notch on the hammer being damaged.

You are good to go, GJ

Whew.  Thank you both and yes, this is a 1929 E Model (or 1936, depending on which source is referenced).  I think the best part about a Model 1897 is the "rattling" sound it makes when you handle it; the sound is similar to the sound they dub into movie scenes where guns are used.

Marshal Jennison

Yep, it's been said the sound of a 97, a Model 12 or a Remington 870 being racked has stopped many a burglar in mid-step.  :o

34 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yep, it's been said the sound of a 97, a Model 12 or a Remington 870 being racked has stopped many a burglar in mid-step.  :o

Its also been said that the loud sound that follows the racking sound has prevented many a burglar from taking another step... :lol:

..........Widder

Archived