SASS Wire Forum

The vulgar four-letter term for feces.

Alpo

I am seeing it more and more on this board lately.

Did not used to be here. Once in a great while.

I believe this is because when it was used no one objected. Used to be that if you used one of the "seven words you can't say on television" the moderators would come down on you.

That doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Maybe they need to start doing it again.

It's the old frog in simmering water theory. :huh:

Gradually turning the heat up and eventually you will boil to death. :o

Reality TV (the sleazy kind) has oozed it's way into TV Land. :angry:

Case(s) in point:

The Real Housewives of (pick a city)

90-Day Fiance

The Bachelor and Bachelorette series

Growing up Hip-Hop

The Kardashians

Temptation Island

....and the list goes on.

I see P.O.O.P. on the forum quite a bit. :ph34r:

A word is just a word...  What is vulgar to one generation is not so for the next.  Whether I say "feces", "crap", "sh!t", or "doggy land mines", I am describing the same thing.  You demonize certain words but allow others that mean the same thing.  What is the difference?  

Even if the word is used as an exclamation rather than a noun or verb, what does it matter what is said?  Why is it generally accepted to holler "Dang!" when hitting your thumb with a hammer, but you are chastised for using vulgarity if you holler "Damn!". 

I say it is the usage that makes a word vulgar, and in that case any word can be made vulgar in use.  If you are in a confrontation with another individual, what does it matter if you say "Eat Dirt" or "eat sh!t", or even "eat my shorts".  The intention makes the terminology vulgar, not the word itself.

Doesn't everybody realize that classifying these words as "the seven things you cant say" just about guaranteed that everybody would use them?

Sometimes when someone is 2 thumb keying letters in on a cellphone a fat finger is not caught until after hitting Submit Reply and someone else quotes it and points it out.

I and O are right beside each other on a qwerty board.

Purely accidental. Shotgun or shirtgun (:o)...

Recently someone made that honest mistake and the thread's responses to the altered context of the OP's question were hilarious.

I tend to mutter it when I drop something - that seems to occur more frequently.  Usually,  there is no harm to the item I've dropped. It's just getting harder to get down and pick it up.  Especially when it rolls under something. 

Truthfully, aside from Bob's fat fingering and hitting the I instead of the O the other day, I don't believe I have seen someone type it.

But it seems to show up frequently in the meme thread and in the cartoon thread, and I think I've even seen it in the allie's cats thread.

I have a foul mouth. I have had ever since I learned how to cuss. But when Mama was alive I did not use some words in front of her. I try not to use some words in front of my grandchildren.

I'm sure my mother had heard the words before. I'm positive my grandchildren had heard the words. I still would not use them in front of them, and if someone was to use them in front of my mother or my grandchildren I would be very tempted to punch them in the mouth.

Whether they should be considered bad words or not (which was the whole point of the seven words you can't say on television Carlin skit) is irrelevant. They are considered bad, vulgar, not for use in polite company.

Generally speaking, the "s" word gets flagged (or reported) when spelled out.
Substituting "*" or "!" for the "i" doesn't actually change the meaning, other than getting it past any "alarm systems" in place on the forums.

Apparently that is acceptable for some reason. (same as typing $#!t or @$$).

How is that any different than a current thread titled "F the NFL"? (does anyone really need a translator for that "F" ??)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Moderators began taking a MUCH closer look at the language used on the forums.

Spencer Tracy as Henry Drumond, Inherit the Wind

I don't swear for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. We've got to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words anybody understands."

Personally, I find the word 'feces' more disgusting (and therefore offensive) than the word to which you refer.  Totally random, the words we've decided are and aren't OK.  Word "A" is offensive, but word "B", which is a perfect synonym, is acceptable.   

I'm not talking about when word "A" carries an extra or different meaning (like racial slurs over a place-of-origin description, or the f-bomb over "make love" for example).

But in this case, either use the word, or talk about something else.

That's my $0.02

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Truthfully, aside from Bob's fat fingering and hitting the I instead of the O the other day, I don't believe I have seen someone type it.

But it seems to show up frequently in the meme thread and in the cartoon thread, and I think I've even seen it in the allie's cats thread.

I have a foul mouth. I have had ever since I learned how to cuss. But when Mama was alive I did not use some words in front of her. I try not to use some words in front of my grandchildren.

I'm sure my mother had heard the words before. I'm positive my grandchildren had heard the words. I still would not use them in front of them, and if someone was to use them in front of my mother or my grandchildren I would be very tempted to punch them in the mouth.

Whether they should be considered bad words or not (which was the whole point of the seven words you can't say on television Carlin skit) is irrelevant. They are considered bad, vulgar, not for use in polite company.

That pretty much sums up my opinion.  I wouldn't use it in front of my mom.  I don't consider it polite conversation.  I think it shows a lack of respect to use such language in front of people you don't know well.  It is definitely rude if you already know the other party does not like such language.   Although, I must admit, I have my bad moments with strangers and a pretty foul mouth around close friends.  (I am not proud of that)  It costs nothing to be polite and avoid language known to be offensive to people.  I am not talking about being PC.

I have been known to suffer from lalokezia (Emotional discharge by uttering indecent or filthy words) but I try to avoid it around women, children or other polite company.

Angus

•    Offensive language, personal insults, including all racial, ethnic, or sexual slurs, as well as personal attacks, including name-calling and insults directed at other members is prohibited.

FORUM GUIDELINES

30 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

It costs nothing to be polite and avoid language known to be offensive to people.  I am not talking about being PC.

I was with you 100% up until the last sentence.

By definition, avoiding offensive language is political correctness.  

From Wikipedia (and I agree with this definition);  

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.[1][2][3][4][5]

Of course you could argue that the people offended by vulgar language are not "members of a particular group in society", although I'd say they are indeed a group that is defined by being offended by vulgar language. 

The term PC has been hijacked for racial / sexually-oriented language primarily, but I'd say it's a broader term that covers offensive language as well.

Of course I'm just splitting hairs at this point,  just bantering about definitions now.

I cuss like a sailor, but not on forums. I do use characters in place of letters to generate words that I wish to convey and that has never been banned, edited or commented on. If it were not permitted I wouldn’t do it. 

This is the Saloon, but it is still a forum. Some decorum is required. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

In the last month, no fewer than two people accidentally typed the following phrase wrong: "shot my gun."

They got a good ribbing about it. If I want to use such a word, I do use "crap" just to be clear. For instance, I will be using my lady's crap shotgun at my first full match. Really, I will, and it really is a crap shotgun. My doing so should not offend, nor was I offended on a misspelling of "shot."

Sometimes a certain word is needed to relay an appropriate message. A clear message. Or the context of a conversation requires an even stronger word. In my case, crap was sufficient compared to a gratuitous use of "piece of ...", well, that word. And while maybe "junk" would serve as a replacement for "...", it seemed a slightly stronger word carried the feeling of my opinion.

I have not seen an offensive level of swearing on this forum. Separate from my own use as described above, and the referenced hilarious typos, I have not seen anythingI would take action on as a moderator in terms of specific words. I have not seen what I would call "gratuitous usage." I have not seen it used as punctuation.

But maybe the OP and others are seeing some general level of disrespect or loss of traditional civility in recent times, If so, that is certainly worthy of discussion. I'm just not seeing a problem with word choice in the threads I have followed and participated in.

By the way, when typing “shut” one must realize the “U” is also next to the “I”...I almost posted the wrong word on the Tom Arnold thread. :rolleyes:

My sister once attempted to scold me for using some obscene language when communicating with a certain distasteful individual! She said those words indicated a lack of knowledge and vocabulary!

I explained to her that some people and some situations were NOT worth wasting my time, breath, or command of the language on!!

I can call you what you are, in my opinion, or tell you what to do to/with yourself in language that would make a lexicographer proud, but if I don’t think you’re worth it, a glaring, offensive expletive is all I’m willing to waste on you!!

I generally write much less offensively than I may speak. Any further questions you might have can be answered by carefully reading my signature below!! :lol:  B)

20 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My sister once attempted to scold me for using some obscene language when communicating with a certain distasteful individual! She said those words indicated a lack of knowledge and vocabulary!

I explained to her that some people and some situations were NOT worth wasting my time, breath, or command of the language on!!

I can call you what you are, in my opinion, or tell you what to do to/with yourself in language that would make a lexicographer proud, but if I don’t think you’re worth it, a glaring, offensive expletive is all I’m willing to waste on you!!

I generally write much less offensively than I may speak. Any further questions you might have can be answered by carefully reading my signature below!! :lol:  B)

Daggone Blackwater I just wish ya wouldn't beat around the bush every time ya post on here.

kR

Swear words are very effective.  Many times I have observed a polite suggestion being ignored.  While on the other hand the profane suggestion at least show some comprehension.   

20 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Daggone Blackwater I just wish ya wouldn't beat around the bush every time ya post on here.

kR

TRUST ME!!!  I wouldn’t last two days here if I didn’t beat around the bush!!:ph34r: :o <_< :lol:

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Did not used to be here. Once in a great while.

I believe this is because when it was used no one objected. Used to be that if you used one of the "seven words you can't say on television" the moderators would come down on you.

That doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Maybe they need to start doing it again.

Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t you use that exact word not that long ago to go after Henry Harrison when he challenged one of your posts? I believe you did but I couldn’t find it in the archives.

2 hours ago, Bart Slade said:

I was with you 100% up until the last sentence.

By definition, avoiding offensive language is political correctness.  

From Wikipedia (and I agree with this definition);  

Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.[1][2][3][4][5]

Of course you could argue that the people offended by vulgar language are not "members of a particular group in society", although I'd say they are indeed a group that is defined by being offended by vulgar language. 

The term PC has been hijacked for racial / sexually-oriented language primarily, but I'd say it's a broader term that covers offensive language as well.

Of course I'm just splitting hairs at this point,  just bantering about definitions now.

OK.  I can work with that.   By that definition my Grandparents and Parents were all "Politically Correct" although only one of them lived long enough to possibly ever hear the term in its current usage.  I'd have never thought to apply that term to any of them.   I guess that makes me "Politically Correct", too.    Come to think of it, most of my friends are "Politically Correct".  But if I ever tell THEM that they'll likely bust my lip.

Thanks.  Now that I've said that I feel the need to go wash my mouth out with soap.

Angus

p.s.  I think I'll still just call myself polite, or considerate.  I don't think I could stand calling myself politically correct.  I don't give a rat's behind about offending "members of particular groups" beyond avoiding the use of foul words.

p.p.s.  I don't mind banter or splitting hairs, but I'm done here.  Some of these hairs would take more time and bandwidth than I care to take to keep splitting them.

I thought avoiding offensive language was called good manners. But whatta I know?

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I thought avoiding offensive language was called good manners. But whatta I know?

YOU , SIR!!  ARE CORRECT!!  NEVER confuse that with Political Correctness!!

I must reluctantly admit this was my primary kitchen expletive back in the day.  Unfortunately, I have replaced it with an equally offensive alternative.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t you use that exact word not that long ago to go after Henry Harrison when he challenged one of your posts? I believe you did but I couldn’t find it in the archives.

Quite possibly. Sometimes profanity is the perfect choice of words.

But if I did use that word, I was directing it towards one person. I was not posting it to shock or amuse.

Maybe others don't see a difference. I do.

Archived