SASS Wire Forum

Unbiased and Open-Minded

Somehow I've ended up on the National Geographic's mailing list.  Okay... I've subscribed to the magazine in the past, and have been known to buy a copy from time to time.  By and large, the emails have been interesting in content, pretty much what you might expect from National Geographic. 

Until today.

Today's email led off with an essay by Debra Adams Simmons, History Executive Editor.

Here are a couple of excerpts from Ms Simmons' "Unbiased and Open-Minded" op-ed piece:   

From Richmond, Virginia, to Birmingham, Alabama, several Confederate statues in the United States, erected to preserve a notion of racial superiority, are or will be gone...

False reports spread on Facebook of mysterious — and it turns out, nonexistent — outside leftist rabble-rousers that would join the marches. Those rumors so frightened small-town residents and businesses that some boarded up and grabbed weapons to protect their town centers from, as it turned out, simply peaceful local protesters...

There was much, much more in this extremely political "unbiased and open-minded" essay.  But these two statements jumped out at me, and are representative of the tone for the rest of it.  

Regarding the first... I grew up in the South.  I've seen many statues of people who served in the Civil War.  Never have I considered nor heard of anyone else saying that these monuments were "erected to preserve a notion of racial superiority."  Huh?  Most often, I thought, they were simply of people who had served their nation during a time of crisis, then returned to serve their states and communities.

Regarding the second, well - all I can say is I believe that she and I must be watching and reading different news reports.  :huh:

Note:  I am NOT saying that folks do not have a right - nor a reason - to protest; I'm merely commenting on two of this particular journalist's opinions. -_-  

You write well.  Perhaps a reply to the magazine in which you point out how Ms. Simmons‘s opinion cost them a subscriber  is in order.

43 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

> snip

Regarding the first... I grew up in the South.  I've seen many statues of people who served in the Civil War.  Never have I considered nor heard of anyone else saying that these monuments were "erected to preserve a notion of racial superiority."  Huh?  Most often, I thought, they were simply of people who had served their nation during a time of crisis, then returned to serve their states and communities.

> snip 

I'm with you ... I have also (always) felt that these monuments were placed to honor those that served their nation and nothing more.

... AND ... have wondered where "they" (who are so appalled) are getting this stuff and/or if those acting out are somehow being manipulated.

I experienced high school "CORE" in the mid-60s ... and being the 100th anniversary .... the Civil War dominated instructional content.

If  you remember ... there was a popular Civil War board game out at the time and everything (little blue and gray chips etc ...). 

Anyhow ... I guess I wasn't paying attention (in class) because I recently stepped on a (very) short article regarding the Dread Scott case (Supreme Court / the real catalyst of the Civil War) and I was left like a deer in the headlights (or more like someone that had just been transported back to earth by an alien spaceship).

They have a video for the article ... too ... BUT .. I watched the video ... read the article and the first posted comment ... and I was done for ...

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/us-history/civil-war-era/sectional-tension-1850s/v/dred-scott-v-sandford

Then ... to make matters worse ... I found this ... and it wasn't what I expected at all ...

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/6/21280643/police-brutality-violence-protests-racism-khalil-muhammad

Now ... when I see/hear about all this radical activity ... (toss statues ... etc) ... I wonder why they don't discuss/publish the root cause the academics are feeding them and explain "why" instead of just going through the motions ... ("I'm mad because somebody told me I'm supposed to be but a lot of us don't really know why" syndrome) ...

I'm not suggesting how anyone should feel about these things ... I was just trying to get to the bottom of "what could they possibly be thinking" for myself.  

That’s too bad.

So, National Geographic now has been hijacked and transformed into a free, all-expenses-paid, Leftest propaganda rag?

No more support from me!

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

That’s too bad.

So, National Geographic now has been hijacked and transformed into a free, all-expenses-paid, Leftest propaganda rag?

No more support from me!

Cat Brules

Since it was bought by Rupert Murdoch. . 

I’m no racist or segregationist, but if the Left want to topple a statue of non-slave holder Robert E. Lee, what do you think they will eventually want to do with the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial?  It’s about tearing down the old so they can build new in their “new image.”  Destroy history to recreate it.

I had a by-line in two national magazines.

That said, I find the education level and quality of writing in today's writers to be nothing less than appalling.
These hacks, and their editors, are apparently not sufficiently skilled in their craft to use a spelling and grammar checker.
"Trump is going to loose the election in November..." comes to mind.... egad.

I saw this first with Time Magazine, as it fell from the highest journalistic standards into a Leftist Hell without editors or spell check.
Opinions are like rectums... everybody has one, and most of them stink.
I vote with my wallet.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:59 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Somehow I've ended up on the National Geographic's mailing list.  Okay... I've subscribed to the magazine in the past, and have been known to buy a copy from time to time.  By and large, the emails have been interesting in content, pretty much what you might expect from National Geographic. 

Until today.

Today's email led off with an essay by Debra Adams Simmons, History Executive Editor.

Here are a couple of excerpts from Ms Simmons' "Unbiased and Open-Minded" op-ed piece:   

There was much, much more in this extremely political "unbiased and open-minded" essay.  But these two statements jumped out at me, and are representative of the tone for the rest of it.  

Regarding the second, well - all I can say is I believe that she and I must be watching and reading different news reports.  :huh:

Note:  I am NOT saying that folks do not have a right - nor a reason - to protest; I'm merely commenting on two of this particular journalist's opinions. -_-  

We have a word for that in Texas. It starts with  BULL and ends with SH..........SCAT

JHC :angry:

Archived