SASS Wire Forum

Timing Issue? With video

Tequila Shooter

Second step on the hand is TOO SHORT.  Need a new hand or a hand stretch.  You may well find, when you stretch the hand, the hand is then too long overall and tries to index the cylinder BEFORE the bolt unlocks.

Oh, forgot.  YES.  You do have a timing issue.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Check the spring on the cyl pawl.

YES-you have a timing issue.

What have you done to this gun?

OLG 

@Colorado Coffinmaker, @The Original Lumpy Gritz, @Warden Callaway

Both pistols are doing the same thing.  I ordered 2 new hands and 2 new blocks from Cimarron and put them in yesterday.  The pistols are only a year old so they're still under warranty and Cimarron offered to warranty the repair.  

Warden that was a good video, I hadn't seen that one before.  I now have 2 extra hands, I may try to stretch the arm or at the very least I can tell Cimarron/gunsmith what is wrong with them.

In the video I made, the pistol was a Cimarron Pietta Eleminator 8 that is short stroked.  I'm betting they use the same hand for both long and short stroke.  If the hammer throw distance were standard, the hand may have timed right.  This one was sold as a new, unfired in box traid in. But showed signs of being screwed with.  

I'll bet Cimarron will tell you they are fine.  Just don't cock them slowly.  

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Colorado Coffinmaker, @The Original Lumpy Gritz, @Warden Callaway

Both pistols are doing the same thing.  I ordered 2 new hands and 2 new blocks from Cimarron and put them in yesterday.  The pistols are only a year old so they're still under warranty and Cimarron offered to warranty the repair.  

Warden that was a good video, I hadn't seen that one before.  I now have 2 extra hands, I may try to stretch the arm or at the very least I can tell Cimarron/gunsmith what is wrong with them.

I'd let Cimarron fix'em :excl:

Have'em Email the shipper to you and you can directly ship to them and they can ship them directly back to you.

OLG 

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

There is also too much over-travel in the hammer.  If your doing the work, START OVER.

That was before any work was done.  Watching Warden's video I've started the repair.  I've got one done so far and going to work on the other this afternoon.  I'll post an update when done.

After watching Warden's video and having an extra hand for each pistol I decided to try the repair myself.  I'm very happy to report that I believe the problem is fixed.  It took a little time, a little patience, and a whole lotta luck.  Using Warden's way I put the hand on an anvil, and using the side of an old punch got a hammer out and stretched the hand oh so little.  That's all it took to make things right and learn something new. 

I love a happy ending.   (Stocking how soft the parts are in a Pietta, ain't it?)

But the method is not "Warden's way".  It's a methed used by many gunsmiths over many years.  I have a large library of gunsmithing books and may have seen the method explained.   I do know where I seen a visual explanation of the application.  It was shown in an AGI Armorer's Course viseo that I saw. 

Here is an overview of the video. That can be purchased from AGI or their distributors. Used copied pop up on eBay.

Last year I had the sear notches rewelded and cut on the hammer of my old Colt SAA by Spring Creek Armory in Ten Sleeps Wyoming.  

https://springcreekarmory.com/

He had used this method to stretch the hand to time the action after repairing the hammer.

Also,  last February I traided for a Colt SAA made in 1971.  The action was very nice.  On taking it apart, I saw evidence that it had been custom tuned.  Amongst the clues, the hand had been stretched in such a manner. 

Archived