SASS Wire Forum

B-Western Rifle Recommendation

Popcorn Kelly

Background: I'm reasonably new to this sport having shot my first match 13 months ago.  I've purchased highly quality new firearms across the board.  Uberti 1873 rifle and Vaquero pistols, both shoot 38 specials.  I also have a 1911 and a .45 caliber 1873 rifle for Wild Bunch (don't do much Wild Bunch.  I'm not much of a fixer when it comes to repairing guns or even doing much trouble-shooting.  I need good solid equipment that is unlikely to give me much trouble.  

I'd like to start shooting B-Western.  My pistols and shotguns should work well, but from what I read, I need a different rifle.  I'd like to stick to with a rifle that shoots .38 Specials.   My question to this forum is this:  What rifle do you recommend for me - something that is more likely to function without giving me too many problems.  

Well there is the problem something that won't give you many problems.......Been shooting B-Western since I started and let me tell ya have been through the ringer, Taylor Lighting, Winchester 92, Marlin 1894 Carbine and finally landed on Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp.

Really your only choice to stay competitive is a Cowboy Comp (IMHO), I have been through multiple carriers trying to get rid of the Marlin Jam also.

If you have your mind set on it then do the Comp or just save the stress and heartache and stay on the sweet 1873. Just switched and got one from Longhuinter and will never go back. 

Good Luck.

23 minutes ago, BootStrap Phil said:

If you have your mind set on it then do the Comp or just save the stress and heartache and stay on the sweet 1873. Just switched and got one from Longhuinter and will never go back. 

Only the 73 is not legal for B Western which was the whole purpose of the post. Get in touch with Boomstick Jay to see what he has available in a Marlin. He works wonders on them. Be sure and specify you want it to run 38's at about 1.50 inches OAL.

https://www.boomstickarms.com/

7 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Only the 73 is not legal for B Western which was the whole purpose of the post.

Ah not to be rude but duhhh, If you read my post see I switched categories and bought a 73, also I said if you had your mind set then Marlin Comp was way to go.

Attention to detail before you call someone out.

Odd Guy Out here.  My recommendation would be a well set up 1892.  Once properly set up for CAS, a '92 will be bullet proof.  I would suggest you contact Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve Young) at Stevesgunz.com and see what he has or can do for you.  A correctly set up 92 can be vary fast indeed.

34 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Odd Guy Out here.  My recommendation would be a well set up 1892.  Once properly set up for CAS, a '92 will be bullet proof.  I would suggest you contact Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve Young) at Stevesgunz.com and see what he has or can do for you.  A correctly set up 92 can be vary fast indeed.

+10

Either a Short stroke Marlin by Cowboy Carty or a good Marlin with a Widdermatic conversion. 

I shot B-Western for a while and had both. Both are great rifles and very dependable, also can be just as fast as a ‘73. A short stroke Marlin is OAL specific, widdermatic will shoot anything but the lever throw is slightly longer. If you can try them both and see which you like best. I never tried it on my short stroke but I ran my Widdermatic (done by Widder himself) for a year, included several annual matches, without cleaning it. It never had a hiccup but it was a pain when I did clean it. 

IMHO

Randy

While there are other rifles that are acceptable for B Western, to me, anything other than a 92  just seems to run contrary to the whole point of it all.    I mean, sure I could use my trusty and beloved Lightning, but if I was gonna shoot this category, it'd be with my 92 with the big John Wayne loop.   It just "fits" better to my mind.  

That being said, see what the legal rifles are, and then use what you like and enjoy.   The whole point is to have fun.  

Another option would be to use a "Hollywood Henry."   Or is it "Hollywierd Henry?"   That's when you take your rifle and remove the wooden fore grip and "pretend" that it is a Henry.   You still have to use a B-Western legal rifle for the conversion, so no 66's or 73's, but it is a hoot to behold.

I use a Marlin for B-western. It may take a while to get a good one.

The only other gun that I got to work was a Browning B-92.

Not quite as fast as a Marlin but fed 100% of the time.

Have fun.

Popcorn, You shoot with Cowboy Carty. You should contact him. I'm sure he can set you up with what you need. https://www.facebook.com/Western-Gun-Works-1678033062499004

On 6/9/2020 at 5:35 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Another option would be to use a "Hollywood Henry."   Or is it "Hollywierd Henry?"   That's when you take your rifle and remove the wooden fore grip and "pretend" that it is a Henry.   You still have to use a B-Western legal rifle for the conversion, so no 66's or 73's, but it is a hoot to behold.

Here ya go.

1012286737_Hollywoodhenry.JPG.b299bc4ce05e6d661e4555523af9b5b5.JPG

Popcorn,

got your email. but my web site and email is down 

Buy one of each... make your decision based on that.  Just because one pard has a Marlin 1894 or a Rossi 1892 that runs well... doesn't mean they all will... In fact, if experience is any indicator, they all had examples made on Friday.  or assembled on Monday morning after a long drunken weekend.... 

14 hours ago, bgavin said:

Just curious:  anybody know the reason why B-Western requires 1880 or later?

In large part because those are the rifles seen in B Western movies.  The movie studios used lever action rifles in production when the movies were filmed, which meant primarily 1892 Winchesters and 1894 Marlins.

From Wikipedia:

"Although the Model 1892 made its debut after the closing of the American frontier, and the true "Guns that Won the West" were the earlier Models 1866 and 1873, it nonetheless became an icon of Western mythology through its use in hundreds of motion pictures and television shows, standing in for its older siblings. John Wayne famously carried Model 92s in dozens of films and owned several personally, some with the distinctive oversized "loop" lever. Other notable screen 92s were those of Chuck Connors in The Rifleman and Steve McQueen in Wanted: Dead or Alive.[8]

. . .

"Hollywood studios purchased the '92 in quantity because it was in regular production (until World War II) but looked sufficiently like Old West Winchesters to substitute for valuable antiques, and because in calibers .44-40 and .38-40 it could fire, together with the Colt Single Action Army "Peacemaker" revolver, the standard Five-in-One blank cartridge. This latter practice mirrored the real cowboys, who found it convenient to carry a rifle and a revolver chambered with the same ammunition."

What are the choices?

1883 Burgess

1884 Lightning

1889 Marlin

1892 Winchester

1894 Winchester

1894 Marlin

Anything else?

The 1894 Marlin has given me the least problems in B-Western. The Burgess sometimes stovepipes or even throws the loaded round right out the top when trying to run it fast, as can a '92. I've been accused a couple times of coming to the line with a round in the chamber when the first round flew out the top when I levered it for the first shot. It's also hard to come by - I think Uberti may have made even fewer than Colt did originally.

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

What are the choices?

1883 Burgess

1884 Lightning

1889 Marlin

1892 Winchester

1894 Winchester

1894 Marlin

Anything else?

The 1894 Marlin has given me the least problems in B-Western. The Burgess sometimes stovepipes or even throws the loaded round right out the top when trying to run it fast, as can a '92. I've been accused a couple times of coming to the line with a round in the chamber when the first round flew out the top when I levered it for the first shot. It's also hard to come by - I think Uberti may have made even fewer than Colt did originally.

There are 1893 Marlins that qualify, but generally the 1892 Winchester and 1894/Model 94 Marlin are the best choices.  I prefer the 1894 Marlin, my wife the 1892 Winchester.  There are great iterations, mediocre and lousy of each.  Each has its quirks. The best advise is try as many as you can afford (time and money wise) till you hit on the one that works for you.

Popcorn, I just read the post on who is attending the Iowa State Championship.  My better half (who shoots a Winchester 92) and I (shooting a Marlin 1894), will be there shooting B Western.  You are welcome to try out our toys.  Both have had a fair amount of work done.

47 minutes ago, Parson Remington said:

There are 1893 Marlins that qualify, but generally the 1892 Winchester and 1894/Model 94 Marlin are the best choices.  I prefer the 1894 Marlin, my wife the 1892 Winchester.  There are great iterations, mediocre and lousy of each.  Each has its quirks. The best advise is try as many as you can afford (time and money wise) till you hit on the one that works for you.

Was the '93 ever available in a "pistol caliber"...?

57 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Was the '93 ever available in a "pistol caliber"...?

Among other chamberings was 32-40.  Edit - Though on second thought, while I have a pistol chambered in that (I also have Ruger Blackhawks in 30 carbine), the 32-40 probably does not qualify because the cartridge was not "common" in pistols.  Page 41 of the Shooters Handbook.  My goof.

53 minutes ago, Parson Remington said:

Yep.  Among other chamberings was 32-40. 

Uhhh... the .32-40 is a rifle cartridge - about the same length as a .30-30.

(edit) A quick Google search doesn't show anything like .44-40, .38-40, .32-20, or any other what we would call "pistol cartridges" chambered in the '93.

I found references to .30-30, .38-55, .32-40, .32 High Power, and .25-36, all rifle cartridges.

3 hours ago, Parson Remington said:

Among other chamberings was 32-40.  Edit - Though on second thought, while I have a pistol chambered in that (I also have Ruger Blackhawks in 30 carbine)...

You have a PISTOL in .32-40?? The only way that would be possible is if it is a modern custom revolver based on the Century or BFR frame. Or custom TC Contender maybe.

It wouldn't be disqualified as a main match cartridge because it wasn't common in revolvers, it would be disqualified because it's a rifle cartridge. 

The .30 Carbine will fit in a standard Blackhawk size cylinder & frame, but the .32-40 won't fit even in a stretched .357 Maximum frame or S&W X-Frame.

Cartridges.jpg

As a B-Western shooter I recommend the Burgess to all my competitors, I will however continue to use my Marlin.

i shot my 38 marlin 94 today , i was impressed with the accuracy and flawless function , it put POI exactly on POA , with TC bullets in the 38spcl cartridges i fed it and im not a marlin fan particularly - i love the 22s , but not so much bigger bores until now , if i can just smooth out the lever edges so they dont cut my fingers so badly , i do like that rifle 

now my great western revolvers are another story - shoot exactly like the rest of my revolvers - rugers , taurus , colt , cimmeron , fine but the operator is not all that good , 

Archived