SASS Wire Forum

New Shooters

I've noticed a lot of new shooters on the Wire in the past couple of weeks; folks looking for guns, clothing and gear, or with questions about CAS.

I'm assuming that the virus shut-downs have left folks with time on their hands, and that they have spent some of that time browsing through YouTube or other sites and finding CAS shoots or the Wire.

For those of you in this group, can you tell us how you found out about CAS, what sites you have browsed, and what made you decide to start shooting with us?  If you're comfortable with the question, could you also share some demographics - age, occupation, location?  Seems like a ripe line of  inquiry for a game looking to find ways to expand its membership.

Welcome to the fire!

LL

Real names are not necessary.

Cat Brules

I ran two new shooters through their first match Saturday. They heard about it from a friend, came to watch and decided to try it out. Big smiles all around.

Took my son and grandson to their first match Saturday. They are going again this weekend to at least one if not two more matches. Both did relatively well for their first time. 

36 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

We have been having one or two new shooters every other match for the last year.

Imis (who still shoots like a new shooter)

Had a cool experience Saturday. As the new shooters were thanking me I said no problem. I enjoy doing it and I've done it for a couple other folks that came as spectators. Spent some time with them and they came back to shoot. Five or six people on my posse raised their hands. Made me feel pretty good. 

Learned about SASS while living in Iowa.  My sweet wife was thinking ahead and looking for something we could do “together” after our kids left home. I found the Turkeyfoot Cowboys about an hour from our house and went to the first match by myself, just to check it out.  The folks were so friendly and fun and I ended up shooting a couple stages with borrowed gear, one stage in black powder. I was hooked. 

The following month both my wife and I attended and the rest they say is history. We got heavily involved with the club.  Work days, training, cookouts, set up and taking down the shoots, club leadership and so forth. Worked the first year to get my ROI and ROII training so I could help write scenarios. Oh, and we added a dozen new cowboy guns to the family along with leather, hats, boots, dresses and on and on.  It has been more than fun.

Three years ago we moved to NM and found another small club in the area.  We've made the greatest friends in the world and have such a blast. 

for new shooters, get involved.  My wife loves the costumes, I love working on the guns and writing the shoots. One of our dear friends discovered she doesn't like to shoot all that much but she records scores and at the larger multi-day shoots we have the best camp keeper in the world!  Theres something for everyone and enough fun to go qround, three times.

Happy Shootzmore and Tam Bam 

Archived