SASS Wire Forum

Who makes good Grips?

Dang It Dan 13202

Hello all,

I have not been having any luck with Eagle grips.  I have had two sets break without over tensioning them and both times the guy gave me kind of a snarky attitude about it.  After my second attempt at gluing my current set I need to find someone who make something like a Gunfighter style grip.

Any suggestions and thanks!

Cut a 1/2" spacer from a bic pen body & install it around the screw between the grips .  I too have pulled out several sets of escutcheons on Eagle Altamont grips. They seem to drill the holes a little deep. This will fix the problem.

Edit: Correction to grip maker with my apologies to Eagle.

+1 for Altamont. I prefer their slim panel grips over Eagle gunfighters. They are about half the price of Eagle grips, but don’t let that fool you. They are every bit as good or better. 

+ whatever the count it is....for Altamont.  I like the Rosewood checkered fleur-de-lis.  You can find them here.

Kajun

'NOTHER PLUS ONE too everybody suggestion ALTAMONT.

PLUS ONE to Yusta B and Lump Lump.  On two piece grips, no matter the manufacturer, put a spacer  in-between!!

I have some Altamont grips on my birdhead Rugers, they fit perfectly. 

Altamont sends us grips for Hell On Wheels every year, good company.

3 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

+1 for Altamont. I prefer their slim panel grips over Eagle gunfighters. They are about half the price of Eagle grips, but don’t let that fool you. They are every bit as good or better. 

I just wish they’d make the slim grips for the Bisleys. I have 2 pair of their grips and they are really nice, I just like a thinner grip. 

Randy

Last I talked to them they would special order a set of slim panel grips for XR3-red frames. The special order was close to the eagle grips price.  So I decided not for my b/u pistols.  For that money I’ll swap grips if I need to swap pistols.  If they are interested in a group purchase and price is reasonable I may be interested to join in.

Altamont grips make a variety of very nice grips for a very good price.  I have a pair on my New Model Vaqueros.

5 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Extended Texas grips 

IMG_20191002_154644.jpg

Have you ever had a chance to compare the feel of the Texas grips to the 1860 army grips ? Just wondering thicker/thinner . This makes the nvm more appealing to me I’ve always hated have my pinkie hang off the bottom of the grips 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:44 AM, Ranger Dan said:

Bought a set for my OMV from altomont.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/

Good folks here and fantastic grips . Check these from Altamont on these Ruger 3screw Black Hawks.

Sly Puppy  Rugers.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, Assassin said:

I have some Altamont grips on my birdhead Rugers, they fit perfectly. 

Altamont sends us grips for Hell On Wheels every year, good company.

They are also a valued Sponsor of Winter Range. An all around supporter of cowboy shooting.

If you want great grips go to Joe Perkins in Tucson.  Remarkable worlk!!!!!  Good gunsmith also!!!!!

Archived