SASS Wire Forum

New Member Ornery Otis Chambell

Oklahoma Krude

Good morning to all.  I've been watching Cowboy action shooting at my local ranges here in Arizona off and on for 20+ years.  It is really good to finally be here.  I don't have any hardware yet but with some help I hope that will soon be a thing of the past.  Please watch for my WTB posts and if you can help a partner out.

Welcome! As they say in SASS, you come for the shooting but you stay for the nice people you will meet. Good luck and have fun. 

If I may offer some advice. Go to a few matches before you buy anything and look at the various guns and whatnot. Ask to try out a rifle or shotgun that you like. Most shooters are very generous and will let you shoot a few rounds to see if you like that particular thing. Too many times a new shooter shows up with new gear that doesn't really work for them so it is best to try before you buy.

Doc that's a great suggestion and I have done as you suggested,  I've met some fine local shooters that were more than accommodating.  That's why I've narrowed 

it down to Ruger either Bisley or Old Model Vaqueros.  I've had a Ruger Blackhawk 357 for 40+ years.  I've shot many shooting games just not CAS.  Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to the Best Sport you can be a part of. If you ever get to Kansas look up the ranges, best places to shoot, and the Best people you will ever want to know.

Thanks for joining SASS!  I know you will have a lot of fun and meet a lot of greats people!

I imagine you have tried all the various revolvers, but if not, please try them all:

Basically:  Old Model Vaquero, New Model Vaquero, Colt-type 1873 “Model P”, 

For a rifle, most or many Cowboys choose the reproduction Winchester, Model 1873 lever action, in caliber .38 Special.  Whatever you choose, be sure the magazine will hold at least ten(10) cartridges of the caliber you choose to shoot.

For a shotgun, you can pick a Winchester Model 1897 pump action or a good side-by-side (double barrel).  If you choose a double barrel, come bacI to the Wire for advice!!  There’s good ones and not-so-good ones.  Get advice here first for that.

For leather holsters and belts it’s hard to go wrong with most of the leather-makers you hear about here on the Wire, but be sure you have some idea about what you want in a holster.

Best wishes, —- Cat Brules

Welcome Ornery to the best game and folks goin. You'll find lots of Pards willing to help you out and answer questions. Hang on for the ride!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

8 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Welcome! Though I see nothing ornery about Otis Campbell. :ph34r:

Welcome OOC!  And I'm with Tennessee on this one hard to imagine him being ornery ;) :D

image.png.4ef8394eb555ff65c00fdca77d3e8536.png

Howdy & Welcome!

The Rio Salado Cowboys will be holding a New Shooters Orientation on Wed., June 17 from 3-7 at Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa.

Please check out our website: www.riosaladocowboys.com.

There is a link for New Shooter info at the top.

Seems we have a lot of interest in Cowboy Action lately so I suspect you would not be the only one there.

I'm the Territorial Governor at Rio and my contact info is on our website. 

Please let me know if you would like to attend. Hope to see you there!

6 hours ago, Ornery Otis Chambell said:

Good morning to all.  I've been watching Cowboy action shooting at my local ranges here in Arizona off and on for 20+ years.  It is really good to finally be here.  I don't have any hardware yet but with some help I hope that will soon be a thing of the past.  Please watch for my WTB posts and if you can help a partner out.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Randy

T0 everyone that remembered ole Otis thumbs up.   It's hard to come up with an alias name.  can't wait to try my hand at this sport.   See you all on the range.

Ornery Otis welcome aboard pilgrim. You got your self into one great fantastic family. Have fun, good shooting & God Bless. See you on the range some where in time.

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly puppy

Sun City, Az.

I don't ever remember Otis Campbell being ornery, he was either drunk, or sleeping it off in Sherriff Andy's jail. Now if you wanted ornery from the town of Mayberry, that honor belonged expressly to Ernest T. Bass!

BTW,  Welcome to the game.

Archived