SASS Wire Forum

A quandry

Hoping to be back home by July 4 for the parade. I usually dress up fancy like this. But now I have this new chin growth that I have become fond of during the eye-solation of the past few months. It’s even longer now than in the picBut it’s hardly military regulation (at least 20th Century).

I can’t decide whether to mow the crop or not.

5CD90C5D-C417-44A3-8625-15654F90C7C5.jpeg

8E35B847-DC1A-491D-A3F5-204A11EC2977.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Pull out you Spanish American War gear.

It would look too weird riding the jeep

:)

Doesn’t go with the period field uniform and gear.

CB

20 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I like the "stache" on you; but, I'm not fond of beards. I think Hubby is handsome with a stache. Unfortunately, every year he grew a beard for Plainfield Raid and High Sierra.

Do what pleases you.

What she said.

My Burnsides wouldn't pass muster, either but they stay.

UB:

Keep it growing and you'll soon be chanting this pome....

shel silverstein poem - My Beard {one of my favorite childhood ...

We had a Lt in our battalion who would have a completely full beard in 3 days. He had to shave twice a day if he was in base camp.

Drove the Colonel nuts. 

Kid I grew up with was so hairy he had to shave twice a day in the Air Force. The base surgeon gave him a waiver, he could grow a beard if he kept it trimmed.

He had to get the next size shirt to accommodate all the hair on his chest and back, Yeti look for sure. 

Bob, you can join up with Kelly's Heroes and you'll fit right in.

I would keep the beard if you like it. There's no one frequenting parades and giving out chits for Unsat uniform infractions, right?

48 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Couldn't you ride Shank's Mare?

Absolutely not. There's a bodacious hill on the parade route that is not geezer friendly. That’s why we now put the flags on the float instead of having a VFW marching color guard.

32 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

UB:

Keep it growing and you'll soon be chanting this pome....

shel silverstein poem - My Beard {one of my favorite childhood ...

Or to quote George Carlin

See my beard

Ain't it weird?

Don't be sceered

'sjust my beard.

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Absolutely not. There's a bodacious hill on the parade route that is not geezer friendly.

Easy to fix.  Have them reverse the parade route so you march down hill.:D

52 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Easy to fix.  Have them reverse the parade route so you march down hill.:D

Downhill is even tougher on the legs than up. I’d need a stretcher at the bottom.

I hate to be a party pooper but there may not be any parades due to the CoVid stupidity.

Seeing as how people have forgotten what "freedom" and "independence" really is I would not be surprised.

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Downhill is even tougher on the legs than up. I’d need a stretcher at the bottom.

I've always found that so.  In my younger days of hiking I sometimes didn't like going uphill.   I almost always hated going downhill. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hate to be a party pooper but there may not be any parades due to the CoVid stupidity.

Seeing as how people have forgotten what "freedom" and "independence" really is I would not be surprised.

I’m aware of that, but checking with the home town it appears that things will go off, albeit with modifications. Our county has Zero cases of Covid so far. Most of the cases in Colorado are in the areas surrounding Denver, as expected. Very little in the rural areas, as opposed to my location here in Charlotte which is the highest rate in the state of N.C.

They may not let me back in to Dolores County without a doctor’s note. ;)

If you like it by all means keep it. Besides doesn't the 4th celebrate freedom, so give yourself the freedom to keep it if you wish.

You have honorably completed your career as a soldier, and as a law enforcement officer.  If you decide to dress as a soldier with a beard and be in the parade anyone who might criticize you is not your friend.  You have earned your beard.  Enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No problem. All you got to do is say it is a protest, not a parade, and you are good to go.;) If asked what you are protesting, just say you are protesting that you can't have a parade!:P

I'm with Loophole. Keep the whiskers. Go as a Pacific Theatre US Army guerilla, working with Filipino resistance. You can even sub Army issues shorts for your full length trousers, and keep cool on a hot  (Jul 4) day.

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Plenty of WWII era soldier with beards....

b247b10e38b4d8e98010e937aa57f2fd--world-war-two-war-machine.jpg

img232-george-legg-and-his-d-day-beard-munchen-gladbach.jpg

main-qimg-9cc9eaf4179ff1bf482fec8d07699a5b-c.jpg

Not plenty at all but they did tend to attract photographers. I know who that guy in the middle pic is but cannot remember. Dang it.

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Plenty of WWII era soldier with beards....

img232-george-legg-and-his-d-day-beard-munchen-gladbach.jpg

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not plenty at all but they did tend to attract photographers. I know who that guy in the middle pic is but cannot remember. Dang it.

George Legg. He was famous because he hadn't shaved since D-Day.

Branch out and be a sailor!  Heck... everything else is weird in twenty-twenty...    

A hairy issue: Sailors tell the US Navy, 'We want beards'

I think the goatee looks good on ya. The VFW post I belong to I know at least several of the Honor Guard members have beards. 

Archived