SASS Wire Forum

Species thought to have gone extinct, pair sighted today in feeding frenzy

Ha! Before I retired, I worked in downtown Sacramento. They were a common sight.

We also lived there (6 blocks from the Capital). One day, I came home with groceries and parked across one of our driveways (we never got around to doing more than putting the access on the street, there was no parking pad. I showed her my license as proof I lived there. She still gave me a ticket for blocking a driveway. :wacko:

Late 80's.  One afternoon at work, on the 8th floor of the BofA building on the corner of Van Ness and Market St.  I was gazing out the window, looking down at on Van Ness.  There was a bus stop; curb painted red.  No parking.

As I watched, a fella pulled up and parked in the very last parking place before the bus zone.  He exited his car, dutifully fed a bunch of coins into the parking meter, then moseyed off to tend to his business.

No sooner had he rounded the corner than a City Works truck pulled up and double parked.

I called a couple of my staff over and we watched as two workers climbed out of the truck, grabbed a bunch of tools, and proceeded to cut the parking meter off at ground level.  They then painted the curb red, thereby extending the bus zone... climbed back in their truck, and departed.

Sure 'nuff.  Here comes a meter maid.  Pulled up, got off her Harley trike, and wrote the hapless victim a VERY expensive parking ticket.  Climbed back aboard her Harley trike and zoomed off.

She wasn't even out of sight when said hapless victim sauntered around the corner.  I couldn't see his face, but judging from his body language, the lad was amazed, agitated, astounded and I'm sure a few more "a" kinda things.  :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

The first is from the 60's the second is a little more recent.

8551294-3x2-940x627.jpg

3798165500000578-0-image-m-4_1472199683564.jpg

Dang, Major ~ they're gonna have themselves a field day - those cars are all parked on the wrong side of the road~!  :o

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dang, Major ~ they're gonna have themselves a field day - those cars are all parked on the wrong side of the road~!  :o

Not only that, these Metermaids operate opposite of ours!:D

From their webiste:

METERMAIDS REAL STORY
Iconic Surfers Paradise Meter Maids Since 1965

Dressed in gold lame bikinis and tiaras Meter Maids have strolled the streets of Surfers Paradise feeding expired parking meters, & are now an international celebration of Surfers Paradise. Despite six decades of constant change in Surfers Paradise the Metermaids not only remain relevant, but have established themselves as a tourist favourite and expectation

Archived