SASS Wire Forum

Child safety issue, need suggestions

Saturday, very hot day. I looked out back, across the alley. Two kids playing, boy maybe 12, fully clothed. Girl maybe 10, totally naked. Most likely siblings. I looked occasionally, they were playing, never sexual, for more than an hour with no apparent adult supervision and all the time she was running around naked.  If it happens again I must do something before some bad happens. I do not want to be the only witness. My thoughts if it happens again...

if My landlady is home I will ask her to look out the back window and accept her decision, should talk about it with her first. She is a firemam.

I bet there is a police cruiser within three minutes, I can ask them to come down the alley.

looking for suggestions, feel free to pm.

I would talk with the landlady. I would ask that she approach the parents and tell them / her / him about it. Or perhaps both of you could.  If you would do this alone all of a sudden you may find that you are “the dirty old man next door leering at their daughter.”

Mention this to the landlady (hopefully they are not her children) but let the professionals handle the situation.

"Nip it in the Bud".

If its a 12 year old boy, he probably is daring her to run around naked.  He may even be drawing 'high card' to see who

will take off some clothes.....and he is cheating.

At 10, the girl may not know much difference yet.  And before ya know it, things can get 'dicey'.

You can call your local 'Child and Family Services' and they will look into it.   

Telling another neighbor may not go any further than another internet conversation.

Skinny dipping is one thing..... but running around outside for an hour, playing in the nude, is very strange.

P.S. - I wouldn't worry about 'getting involved'.   The girl may be getting her attitude of nudeness at home from

her father, step father, etc..... and needs to be checked out.

..........Widder

Others likely will speak up who know more about this than I do.

Many might say you should call CPS (child protective services) right away.  I don’t know, I think the police would handle that, if necessary.

If I saw this occur again, I would call the police or sheriff and ask them to have one or two female officers respond.  I’d explain to the dispatcher that there’s an older female child, nude, running around outside and you think a male officer might frighten the child.  The officers may want to make contact with you.

Cat Brules

That's extremely abnormal activity, and should be checked by Child Services (whatever title they go by in your state), and/or the local law enforcement.  Law Enforcement is almost certainly going to contact Child Services, and Child Services are most likely going to ask Law Enforcement to respond with them.  

3 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm in the do something camp. So far, I like Joe's idea as a first step. Depending on the response, you may not need to go farther.

Thanks,  Miss Allie.  I'm always hesitant to get officialdom and the burrocrassy (sic) involved.   Especially something like CPS.  I've seen and heard too many horror stories about CPS overreacting to innocent situations.   Kid falls from a tree, gets multiple bruises and a broken arm. CPS comes in and destroys a family with charges of child abuse.  Family with a pool and a high fence likes skinny dipping in the pool,  a neighbor on a ladder sees it, calls CPS, dad gets hauled off for molestation. 

25 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Joe, I agree. I know a couple where the father was in the military. Mom was home with the baby. The baby fell off the bed. Mom took the child to the ER to be checked out. It was much trouble for the family for doing the right thing.

One time my wife was running late home from work.   Her daughter, 10 or 11 at the time was out on her bike.  Chain broke and she came down hard on the frame.   Came in crying.   I told her to take a cool shower.   She got in and I heard her scream.   She had hit the frame of the bike so hard she had a small cut on her labia minora.  

There i was,  mid-30s, remarried,  alone with my stepdaughter (stepson was at a friend's place) and her with a cut on her genitals. What to do?  I  could see taking her to urgent care,  me face down on the deck, knee in my back, being told to stop resisting while being cuffed.  Told her to stay in the shower and wash really well.   And keep muttering "Come on, Lisa, l need you home NOW!"  Fortunately she got home about 10 minutes later.  Got stepdaughter out of the shower,  her mom examined her.   Cut wasn't that big,  maybe half an inch long.  She called me in and we got Steri-strips on it.   Wife agreed that taking stepdaughter to any medical facility would be a huge mistake. "Fell on her bike, you say?   Riiiiiight.  You are under arrest."

There is a huge difference between accidental injuries that may look like abuse and a 10 year old girl playing naked in an alley with an older boy.  

It is a sad state of affairs we are living thru that doing the right thing or even trying to help is hindered by fears of the repercussions that may be rendered upon us.

I can only hope that nothing bad has happened to that child since the time she was "playing" naked with the older boy.

I'm a "go to the source" type; if it were me I'd address it with the parents (if I knew who they were).  Could certainly be something more fiendish than just a 10-year old girl with no sense, but I'd start by assuming it was just that.  And if that IS what's going on, then calling the police / CPS is going to generate major embarrassment for the child at a minimum (would turn this into a traumatic experience).  

If her folks don't pass the sniff check, then I would escalate.

I agree--talk to the parents.  Their reaction will tell you a lot.  If it continues after your chat, then CPS should probably be notified.

My thinking is that I would call law-enforcement (police) first (ask for a male officer and a female officer to respond) discuss it with the officers quickly so they can approach the girl.  They will contact Child Protective Services (CPS), IF they feel that step is in order.  

A naked, pre-teen, pubescent girl child “playing” in the alley with an older boy really is a law-enforcement issue, in my view.  I would not shout across the alley-way at the girl or the boy; I’d call 911 and get the female/male team over there pronto.  It’s not like walking into my backyard and finding my 18yo sister-in-law sunbathing nude, or my neighbor’s 10yo daughter (fully clothed) having climbed up in my peach tree and eating peaches and throwing the pits at me and laughing about it.m

Calling CPS first would unleash a whole militia of unpaid, non-professional, non-medical, non-psychological who-zit volunteer “workers,” hell-bent on initiating a power-control trip (action) and getting their hands into it, trying to direct law-enforcement personnel, so they can go home and brag about it later!  Let law-enforcement involve CPS IF they determine it to be necessary.  No need to get a trio of hysterical hens involved unless law enforcement decides to do so.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Calling CPS first would unleash a whole militia of unpaid, non-professional, non-medical, non-psychological who-zit volunteer “workers,” hell-bent on initiating a power-control trip (action) and getting their hands into it, trying to direct law-enforcement personnel, so they can go home and brag about it later!  Let law-enforcement involve CPS IF they determine it to be necessary.  No need to get a trio of hysterical hens involved unless law enforcement decides to do so.

Cat Brules

Totally not accurate. 

They are well-trained professionals, whose main interest is the well-being of the kids.  

Hi Hardpan,

I guess we have a difference of opinion, and that’s okay.

CB

Outfit I retired from after 22 years included the county Victim Services office, who worked pretty closely with CPS (as well as the District Attorney's office, Police Department, and Sheriff's Department).  I've also had some dealings with them with Youth Protection issues with Boy Scouts.   

Now...  I am aware of situations where they might've appeared to be "over aggressive," but the first concern was always children's safety and well-being.  All in all, they were effective - in this county, at least.

They DO use volunteers, but generally not for the investigative and initial contact work.  Mostly, the volunteers would do administrative and support stuff.  Any who may have worked with investigators or family support were trained and closely supervised, and often were undergrad or graduate student interns studying for careers in social services.

Archived