SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 lever in 44 mag

stef75

Well I found a 24" uberti 1873 in a store with 44 mag stamped on the barrel. Didn't realise they were putting this cartridge in toggle link actions, I have to assume they know what they are doing.

First question being part of my project is to try and get 44 specials running in a gun, is whether a 73 is more or less COAL sensitive than a 92 or 94, or is it pretty much the same situation of hit and miss.

Thoughts on this gun in general?

another quick question. This gun seems rare enough I don't suppose anyone else has one. But if someone does, any idea what the barrel groove diameter slugs at? I wonder if uberti uses the same barrel for this as its 44-40 levers..., would make sense I guess. In which case would anyone know what the 44-40 usually slugs at too?

1 hour ago, stef75 said:

another quick question. This gun seems rare enough I don't suppose anyone else has one. But if someone does, any idea what the barrel groove diameter slugs at? I wonder if uberti uses the same barrel for this as its 44-40 levers..., would make sense I guess. In which case would anyone know what the 44-40 usually slugs at too?

I would think that Uberti uses the same barrels as for their .44 S&W Spl 1866 & 1873 rifles.

I checked one out made for 44mag. If it is a current production, it only holds 9 44 mag in the tube.  I would make sure it holds 10 before you buy it. Second, you probably need a different carrier to use it for 44 spl. I have a 44spl and it needs a different carrier for 44 Russian.

I would use light loaded 44 mags in it.

A long time ago, a friend found one marked 44mag from Navy arms but I don't remember if he bought it.

Use caution on this one.

Maddog McCoy

Hello, Stef.  Fear not.  The rifle will feed 44 Specials in it just fine.  It has the same carrier in it that all the "big bore" toggle link guns do.  I am surprised Uberti is now making it with the 24" barrel.  It has been available for a few years now, but only in the 19" carbine that I knew of.   If your caliber of choice is 44 spcl and your barrel of choice is 24", grab it.  But if this is primarily for CAS, you might find a shorter barrel more handy, and those are available in 44 Spcl.

Several years ago I bought a new Uberti Carbine in .44 Magnum. It was the slickest toggle link action I've ever owned and was an exceptionally accurate rifle at 100 yds. Its barrel had a .429" groove diameter and I fired .430" bullets through it. I fired very, very few .44 Magnum rounds through it, but lots of .44 Special, even short rounds loaded with a stubby little 170 gr. RNFP bullet, which it fed fine. My '92 seems more sensitive to o.a.l.'s than my '73's, but that's just my experience.

I wouldn't worry in the least about whether the rifle handle the pressures of the .44 Magnum. No firearms manufacturer is going to just willy-nilly chamber one of their product in a model which isn't suitable.

Cholla

Thanks fellas. I should clarify I haven't laid eyes on the rifle but the sales staff over the phone assured me it was a 24" barrel. I had better double check on that... he did say 'its huge' anyway. the 1866 would be good in 44sp but I'd like to run +P type loads occasionally. Not sure whether it would be a great idea to deviate too far from standard pressures with the brass frame gun..

The sales guy said the Uberti 1873  come in 44 sp as well, but was told its not stocked here and would be special order from Italy.

I Have 2 44 special rifles. One a 66 and I shoot 44 Russian with the special carrier for black powder, the other is a 73 in 44 mag and have only ever run 44 special. It's a far better and more accurate cartridge. They are both also 20" barrels. Just have a good gunsmith cut it down fit another site and you're good to go. Better off to use it for cowboy action.

If you want to hunt with bigger loads I'd go to a 92.

BTW I'm on the Gold Coast, where are you?

As for barrel length...I have 4 73's. 2 in 357 and 2 in 45 colt. 1 each 20 inch and 1 each 24 inch. I myself prefer the longer barrels. It just seems that I personally shoot the long barrels better. Yes...you have to be a bit more careful on some stages...but nothing you can't overcome.

Thanks gents.

Jackaroo thanks for your post, nice part of the state you are there. I spent some time in the US as well for training, the New England area. Currently I am on a property in North QLD, about 90 mins from cairns. Regards shortening the barrel, I was actually entertaining the idea of getting a smith to cut, rethread and rechamber for 44 special, all in the one go. Not sure if it has practical value... or just novelty to do so.  At least might save me 12-18months( with covid situation...maybe forever) waiting for a uberti 73 in 44 sp. Not sure how much work or cost it involves, or how much barrel length you lose doing such a thing. My next call was going to be Alan and Grant Swan down your way and seeing what they think.

By the way can I ask where you get the carriers for the 44 russian?

6 hours ago, stef75 said:

Thanks fellas. I should clarify I haven't laid eyes on the rifle but the sales staff over the phone assured me it was a 24" barrel. I had better double check on that... he did say 'its huge' anyway. the 1866 would be good in 44sp but I'd like to run +P type loads occasionally. Not sure whether it would be a great idea to deviate too far from standard pressures with the brass frame gun..

The sales guy said the Uberti 1873  come in 44 sp as well, but was told its not stocked here and would be special order from Italy.

The sales staff are ignorant.  Cimarron has 20" 44 Spcl rifles in stock now, any dealer can order from them.  Do not shoot +P ammo in any '73 or '66.  As mentioned, get a '92 or a Marlin for that.  You mentioned having a 'smith rechamber the 44 mag to 44 Spcl.  That would be a waste, the 44 mag chamber is just fine for the 44 Spcl.  The carrier to run 44 Russian in a 44 Spcl toggle link gun comes from: http://thesmithshop.com/cbs45.html

26 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The sales staff are ignorant.  Cimarron has 20" 44 Spcl rifles in stock now, any dealer can order from them. 

Be aware he is in Australia.

I have owned a Uberti 73 in 44 Mag for about 3 years.  The original links look and act like they were made for a tank.  Very rough handling but easily handled full strength 44 mag.  I put some short stroke links in provided by Cowboy and Indians store in Ca.  With moderate loads in 44 Mag the links bent.  I was able to straighten them and they work fine with Cowboy light loads in 44 Mag.  I use it in Wild Bunch. I had trouble with 44 Special cases separating after a few loadings so I went to 44 mag cases and have had no further problems with separations as they are stronger than 44 specials cases.  Mine has a 19 inch barrel and holds 10 44 magnum bullets with no problems ( I just loaded 10 in it to make sure).  The gun shoots well but I would not try any hot loads unless I put the original links back in.

Its fine, I'll be calling them today, and am going to double check the barrel length. The 44 specials in 24 1/4" have been for sale here in the past, if the gunstores are anything to go by. https://www.gunworld.com.au/uberti-1873-rifle-pistol-grip-24-1-4-inch-octagona

Part number  'UB294', out of stock..

I would think it not entirely inconceivable that Uberti offers different variations of their firearms to different countries.

Cholla

I would not hesitate to run any FACTORY 44 Magnum ammunition in the Uberti 44 Magnum Rifle.  The rifle and it's internal parts are well proofed for 44 Magnum.  The rifle will also run 44 Special with not problem (as mentioned).  44 Russian will require the custom Carrier Block (as mentioned).  If you like a 24 inch barrel, GO FOR IT!!

Regards 44 special do you need to seat the bullets right out or can you use a lesser COAL?

2 hours ago, stef75 said:

Regards 44 special do you need to seat the bullets right out or can you use a lesser COAL?

Pretty much any bullet crimped into the crimp groove in 44 Spcl will be fine.

Well I pulled the trigger and put some money down on the gun. I talked again to the distributor about a 44 special and they said between 12 months to infinity to get it from Italy lol. So hears hoping the gun will run okay with specials. From the advice recieved Im thinking it willl work okay.

And I double checked the barrel length also, its definitely the 24 1/4" full octagonal in 44 mag. The sales guy said it had been a special order for another  customer but due to the delay he had bought another rifle from them in the meantime. The order had been cancelled...but the gun still showed up anway a year after ordering. Lucky me to find it I guess. Anyway thanks again all for the advice.

Lucky you, indeed!
The Uberti parts catalog does show the octagonal barrel as a replacement part... but the web site does not offer it as an option.

Enjoy!

Funnily enough I'd actually rather a round barrel in 44 sp but being this is the only 44cal uberti for sale here at the moment,(and for the foreseeable future, who knows when Italy will be full production again) I grabbed it.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:45 AM, Ranger Dan said:

My son shoots the 73 carbine in 44 mag. Bought new 2 years ago. The 19" carbine will hold 10 full length 44 mag in the magazine.

I bought mine #341260 entirely on your son's experience.
At the range today, I loaded 10 into the tube with no hassles at all.

The Uberti web site is just plain wrong as a 9+1 capacity.
I emailed them months ago, and never got a reply.

Archived