SASS Wire Forum

Side matches

Colonel Kraken

Question: Is it unusual for someone to go to a state level or higher match and only shoot a side match?

Backstory: My wife just started shooting Wild Bunch. I've been shooting cowboy for a year, and she didn't have much interest. We shoot USPSA together. When she went with me to a Wild Bunch match she decided she could shoot it because it uses a 1911 and you don't have to load the shotgun on the clock. The long and short is that she's shot her first match, joined SASS and is interested in going to the Ides of March (now November) match here in Florida, but she's only interested in shooting the side match.

Paying the match fee to shoot a side match is quite a bit unusual.  I think a chat with the Match Director and get her to a local WB match would be in order.

My wife and I shot (and still shoot IPSC and Steel Challenge).  Cowboy has a different set of challenges and has actually improved our shooting in the other games.

Doc

24 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Is it unusual?

Yes.

Agree.

The IDES match is one of the best matches you can attend.  GREAT FOLKS, lots of fun, and if nothing else, You both

can brag that you shot the IDES of March match.   Not everyone will have that opportunity in their SASS life.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The IDES match is one of the best matches you can attend.  GREAT FOLKS, lots of fun

That's what I've heard. The folks around here really talk it up. I'd like to shoot the main match too, but my wife is still a bit intimidated by the amount of guns, ammunition and equipment (along with luggage for a little side trip after the match) it would take for us to shoot the wild bunch side match and for me to shoot the main match. I think after she gets a few more matches under her belt she'll feel more comfortable with the concept. I'm just grateful that my wife is as enthusiastic a shooter as she is. We met over thirty years ago as reenactors so a lot of this comes naturally.

The BEST thing to do would be for y'all to hop on up to Tennessee in mid October and get a load of us! Show your wife a big match loaded up with Main match, side matches, wild bunch, and whatever else you want to shoot! I'll even shoot marbles with you if it gets you up here.:D Then you can go to IOM, and you both will probably shoot everything they offer. 

These big matches pretty much have everything scheduled so you can shoot it all and not feel rushed.

Archived