SASS Wire Forum

best way to show support for police

Trigger Mike

I thought of buying a blue lives matter sticker or shirt but not sure of which sites are light and not a front for those opposed to the precious lives of our police officers.  

We are a small town in South Georgia and have a good department over all (well other than 45 minute response time for when my neighbor got shot) .  We had several protesters this weekend on different days.  They were waiving how some lives matter as if no others do or as if police target based on color.  When I served we were constantly accused of targeting based on color, yet at night and even in the day and you are focused on violations being committed by a car, you can not see thru the glare of the windshield to know what color they are.  

I want to show our officers we are not dumb enough to think all cops are bad because one officer is accused (not yet convicted) of a crime.  

They can use all the support they can get right now.  Have talked to some friends of mine that are really down right now.  Believe it or not, a nice card sent to the office does get read by the troops.  If you see them going through a drive through behind you, anonymously pay for their coffee.  

We have a couple of small (our only) restaurants here and if I’m driving by and see S.O. or CHP vehicles outside, I’ll stop in at the counter and anonymously pay for their meal. I do it anonymously or they’ll refuse it. When my barber is in business and I pay for my haircut I leave a tip plus enough for a couple of more haircuts for LEO’s and Marines. His wife keeps track of the freebies and writes down their reaction to feed back to me. I always give police officers a thumbs up if I pull up next to them at a stop light.

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When you see an officer, shake their hand and say thanks.

When on the road-wave to'em.

If you see an officer that needs help, do so.

OLG 

I do wave at them and I always feel kinda stupid but if you say so I'll keep doing it. Lots of times I give them the "thumbs up" too!

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When on the road-wave to'em.

I'll never forget the first time someone waved to me with all their fingers.  I had been a cop for nearly 7 years, and had spent all that time in the ghetto.  I got called away by the Army Reserves (this was a different call-up than the one I mentioned in another thread -- the Army keeps me busy) for about a year, and then returned to duty in another part of town.  Because I had been gone for a year, they had me spend a few days with a training officer like a rookie.  Fine by me; there were new procedures and policies, etc.

We were driving around in a middle class part of town and some old guy waved.  "Did you see that?" I asked the training officer.  He, having spent some time where I was coming from, understood my surprise.  "Yeah, it happens up here sometimes," he smiled.

Later that day, it happened again.  I was flabbergasted.

I often wave or give a thumbs up when we see ‘em while driving. I almost NEVER fail to greet and smile when I meet a cop face to face!

The county’s chief deputy and I are good friends and have dined together on several occasions!

When my wife and I retired we moved here to a small village in NC from the North East. The day after we moved in the doorbell rang. As I answered it I saw the Blue Uniform and being from the NE I wondered ‘uhh oh, what is this about?’ The officer introduced himself saying “Hello, my name is John T... I wanted to stop by and welcome you to the community.” John and I became casual friends, a person  you recognize and wave to or say hello and have a short conversation with a smile. He responded to our house several times as my Mother’s health deteriorated and she needed hospitalization. I’ve always made it a point to wave to the police here even in the neighboring communities, inspired partly by John T... 

CJ

Blue Lives Matter is considered a racist hate group by many in Portland area, home town to Antifa movement.

The following story originally was reported as the complaining worker first posted Black Lives Matter material inside PD building. Now reported as she was victimised by officers before and after she posted Black Lives Matter material.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-oregon-county-pay-black-worker-100k-settlement-20190419-s2rehhpf7zdyfg5ao3cixsq3ii-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I do like the thumbs up show of support.  Thanks for a great idea.

I posted this on my Facebook page:

Our law enforcement officers need our show of support now more than ever. A simple way to show our officers your support is to give them your Smile and a Thumbs Up.

0Z67eS.jpg

This thread moved me.  I spent some money and took gift cards to our local police department.  I was met at the front door by a pleasant young officer who asked why I was there.  I handed him the bag of 40 gift cards and told him that despite all the craziness, he and his fellow officers were appreciated.  His smile was worth the trouble.  I told him to spread the cards around and he said he would.  He asked who I was and I just said I’m anonymous, and left.

Not trying to say anything other than I appreciate the idea behind this thread.  Thanks for prompting me to act.

If you go on Amazon and do a search for “CUSTOM WINDOW DECALS” there are dozens of companies that will create custom decals you can put on the window of your car or home. 
I really like @TN Mongo, SASS #61450 idea of “DEFEND THE POLICE”. I may just have one of those made for my truck. 

I wave at police officers all the time when on my motorcycle but rarely get a return wave unless the officer is a Motor Patrol Officer and even then it’s about a 50% return on wave investment. :) That’s okay though. 

I really like some of the ideas I have read here in this thread. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wave at police officers all the time when on my motorcycle but rarely get a return wave unless the officer is a Motor Patrol Officer and even then it’s about a 50% return on wave investment. :) That’s okay though.

I wonder why the officers don't wave back?

5 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Actually, I don’t know. It may be they may not have noticed, they are surprised or maybe they have something else on their minds.

CHP officers never wave back but my theory on them is the stick up their butts keeps them from moving their arms when grasping a steering wheel or handlebars. For some reason those guys think they are special even amongst other cops, IMNSHO. 

I called our local police department and told them they are doing a unforgiving job and Thank you for doing it so well.

Also when I'm in a restaurant eating and a officer or officer's come in to eat .

I pay for there meals .

And tell them Thank you for what you guys do.

Rooster 

8 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I think they usually don't see you. I wave at them alot but can usually tell they're not looking at me.

JHC

Archived