SASS Wire Forum

Height of shooting tables..

Fancy Filly

When our club moved to a new range,   they brought with them several small, short tables no more than 24" tall.  One woman that was a leading player in setting up loved to use them to stage guns.  They were always placed in front of the boardwalk so their effective height was more like 20".  Women had no problem with the low tables but us old fat bellied men were handicapped.  

I have made many range tables and I make my legs 32 Inches.  For me it means I can get three 32 inch legs out of an eight foot (96") 4"x4" with no waste.

Thank you for your replies.  I have a shooting range at my house and the tables and windows/doors are different heights.  If you want to see what I mean go to Facebook Moonshine at Dark Corner and check out the pictures.  The shortest one is the green building.  We have shooters from 10 years on up.  Some tables are border line too tall for the youth.  Some adults complain because they have to reach down for the two green tables.  Of course they are just right for most women.  I just wanted to make sure I am doing it according to SASS rules.

I have built/rebuilt many tables for Wartrace. We try to hold shooting tables to 30 inches high and load/unload to 34 or 36 inches. The terrain may dictate variations.

Imis

when we built our facades and made the tables to stage the guns on we made the tables the same height as a standard kitchen table. seems to work well for both short and tall folks

I asked and just got a reply from a friend who is a range subject matter expert.

According to her, other than the formal bench rest shooting sports, there is no specific standard for table heights, widths, depths, or area. The only "requirement" as such is that it must be "stable" and "sturdy."

That said, 36" is a somewhat average number (informal) but this is not a standard or to be considered a specification.

With that input, it seems to me you can do whatever feels right to the shooters at your range.

If you build the tables build them to your specs. Everything isn't the same size in the world. People are different heights and weights.

Different height tables are fine, just like target stands, and target sizes. Uniformity looks nice and is appealing to the eye, it is not a reality. 

As stated, 32 inch table legs are the norm because 2x4 lumber comes in 96 inch lengths. Manage your materials where there's the least amount of waste.

30 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This topic reminds me of a Randy Newman song...

. . . which reminds me of an exceptionally fine lass back in college.

4 minutes ago, Assassin said:

If you build the tables build them to your specs. Everything isn't the same size in the world. People are different heights and weights.

Different height tables are fine, just like target stands, and target sizes. Uniformity looks nice and is appealing to the eye, it is not a reality. 

As stated, 32 inch table legs are the norm because 2x4 lumber comes in 96 inch lengths. Manage your materials where there's the least amount of waste.

You obviously didn't read the section in the ROI and ROII handbooks discussion the rules regarding table design.

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You obviously didn't read the section in the ROI and ROII handbooks discussion the rules regarding table design.

:ph34r:

Yeah, I have great reading comprehension skills. The table design guidelines are subjective at best, same with target size, design, and distance.

I use tree stumps sometimes, I don't recall reading any rules on stump height or diameter. And, they are much more stable than tables.

FYI, we had fun shooting at Wildcat on Saturday. Did you enjoy the crappy weather in Steamboat?

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

Yeah, I have great reading comprehension skills. The table design guidelines are subjective at best, same with target size, design, and distance.

I use tree stumps sometimes, I don't recall reading any rules on stump height or diameter. And, they are much more stable than tables.

FYI, we had fun shooting at Wildcat on Saturday. Did you enjoy the crappy weather in Steamboat?

Got it to go out to the ranch and sighed in some guns... So now I don't need to sight in at the Texas ranch ... More time for me to kill pigs!!!!

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Got it to go out to the ranch and sighed in some guns... So now I don't need to sight in at the Texas ranch ... More time for me to kill pigs!!!!

Be careful diving through Austin, stoopid stuff going on in those cities. Hate to read about a man from Colorado that shot protesters trying to stop his truck. Then, the front page would read "man travels from out of state with a weapons cache, and excessive amount of ammo, in order to confront protesters". 

What's this got to do with shooting tables?

30 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Be careful diving through Austin, stoopid stuff going on in those cities. Hate to read about a man from Colorado that shot protesters trying to stop his truck. Then, the front page would read "man travels from out of state with a weapons cache, and excessive amount of ammo, in order to confront protesters". 

It's the SASSwire. :D

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

Will not drive thru Austin ;)

Nothing to do with tables... But all ya have to do is look the rules on tables and yer good to go:o

Archived