SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Featherweights - poor QC again

Dutch Coroner

Looks like I need a drop gauge. I have a full case that I assumed would be just fine. 

Thank you Dutch. :)

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

This is why I bought a MEC SuperSizer. I now run all factory shells through it no matter the manufacturer. Has saved me a lot of grief.

Yep, do the same thing with every 16 gauge shell I use. 

Also check the shells to make sure they are what it says on the box. Last year a friend loaded her belt with what was supposed to be the "Feather Lites" and they were a 1 & 1/8 heavy hunting load. To say she was surprised was an understatement.

3 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Also check the shells to make sure they are what it says on the box. Last year a friend loaded her belt with what was supposed to be the "Feather Lites" and they were a 1 & 1/8 heavy hunting load. To say she was surprised was an understatement.

That same thing happened to my better half. AA Heavy trap loads vice LNLR. Bruised her hand so badly she had to quit.

• 1 month later...

Well I just ran into my own quality control issue on Winchester AA light shells. Was shooting the other day at a match tried to shuck the hulls out of the shotgun and they wouldn’t come out very easily. As I picked up the hulls off the unloading table I started seeing smeared ink all over the hulls , I then started going through the box of shells in my cart and they were all covered in a sticky gooey ink mess. Pulled out my can of ballistol and a rag and cleaned up enough shellsto finish the match. Now I’m sitting down and cleaning 15 boxes. Way to go Winchester somebody’s paying attention on that factory production  line,NOT!

I had some of the thick ink AA shells. Just bought some federal shells 19.99 per hundred. 1200 fps. They drop into the shell checker and slip 3/8" deep into the crimp checker without any force. I will take the hit to not deal with AA shells again.

Got them at Wally world. They are ribbed and made the 4 shell grab a bit easier for the 97.

I went to my local gun store today to order a couple cases of STS low recoil.  They quoted me a price of $11.00 per box.  I had been paying a little less than $9.00.  They told me that since the pandemic started, everyone is buying ammo and the prices have greatly increased.  I told them never mind.  I may have to start reloading shotgun shells again.  :(

Bass Pro had STS on sale, so I bought six cases over 2 days.
3 case limit, per day.
I shoot 3 rounds of trap every week.

Each day took 2.0 hours for waiting in line, waiting for the ammo cage to arrive, opening the ammo cage, signing the ammo cage logbook, filling out the CA background check, paying the fee, filling out the DROS dealer record of sale required by CA for ammo purchases, thumb printing the DROS and finally picking up my 3 cases.

I cut out the UPC on the first 50 boxes of STS, sent in to Remington for $2/box rebate.
$100 is $100...  I hated to deface the boxes, but $100 is still $100.

Archived