SASS Wire Forum

Percussion Toy

Sawhorse Kid

3 minutes ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

:lol:  I thought they looked familiar.  :P

So old it's new again. :lol:
It is amazing the stuff that keeps getting reinvented.  These, the "new" rounds that duplicate the ballistics of tried and true rounds like the 6.5 x 55 but in a case that fits an AR platform, and I see someone has duplicated the 6mm Lee in a shorter case.

I doubt these will be worth thousands of dollars someday like original Howdah pistols.

Still, they do look like fun. :D

I don't see how it is legal.

As I understand it, inline muzzleloading rifles that use shotgun primers to ignite the powder are considered modern guns. Unlike a TC Hawken, which is considered an antique, because it has that offset hammer and it uses a percussion cap.

But a Knight inline is considered modern. You can't have it sent to your house through the mail. You have to buy it from an FFL. You have to fill out a 4473. You have to be called in.

Since this gun also uses inline ignition and shotgun primers, it seems like it should also be considered a modern gun. And modern 12 gauge shotguns with 8 inch barrels are not legal.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I don't see how it is legal.

As I understand it, inline muzzleloading rifles that use shotgun primers to ignite the powder are considered modern guns. Unlike a TC Hawken, which is considered an antique, because it has that offset hammer and it uses a percussion cap.

But a Knight inline is considered modern. You can't have it sent to your house through the mail. You have to buy it from an FFL. You have to fill out a 4473. You have to be called in.

Since this gun also uses inline ignition and shotgun primers, it seems like it should also be considered a modern gun. And modern 12 gauge shotguns with 8 inch barrels are not legal.

It’s my understanding that if you buy a TC Encore with a muzzleloading barrel a 4473 is required because it can also take barrels chambered for modern cartridges, however if the in-line is ONLY capable of being a muzzleloader, a 4473 is not required. I imagine different states might also have their own requirements.

More information on this item.

Tested every which way, including Sunday! :o

If I were to get one, it would be this model:

image.thumb.png.65f1b134a2e212f4fea0f93b560baf62.png

I just found a ATF FFL newsletter dated 2005. This section applies to my question.

>We frequently receive questions concerning the sale
of modern in-line muzzle loading rifles. Several
years ago ATF determined that an in-line muzzle
loading rifle using #209 shotgun primers for
ignition was not an antique firearm and was subject
to all provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA).
However, the GCA was amended in 1998 and
many in-line muzzle loading rifles are now antique
firearms and are excluded from the provisions of
the GCA.<

It seems the rules were changed and I was unaware of the change.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I doubt these will be worth thousands of dollars someday like original Howdah pistols.

Still, they do look like fun. :D

That’s what I said about the Automag. :P

Archived