SASS Wire Forum

WINCHESTER LITTLE BIG HORN CENTENNIAL 1876-1976 44-40 AMMO

Savvy Jack

I was looking at the WINCHESTER LITTLE BIG HORN CENTENNIAL 1876-1976 44-40 AMMO and it brought some questions. I noticed all of the boxes I could find on the net were coded LE which would be May 1976....of course right? Well, I also noticed a few that had flat primers rather than the "oval". So far the only days of production I can find are the 19th, 23rd and 25th. I also noticed that the hand-loading components "White Box" with the red W were produced from 1974 to 1977. Any idea if this was the transition from one primer design to the other?

Silver 20 round box, yellow lettering, Custer print on side?

Picked up about 300 rounds from a yard sale. Various condition and retailer price tags. 

How do you tell "flat" from "round" primers? All primers are flat, now.  The boxes are convenient for getting ammo to loading table.

12 minutes ago, Palouse said:

Silver 20 round box, yellow lettering, Custer print on side?

Picked up about 300 rounds from a yard sale. Various condition and retailer price tags. 

How do you tell "flat" from "round" primers? All primers are flat, now.  The boxes are convenient for getting ammo to loading table.

I do not know the correct name for the rounded, curved, button primers. I was hoping someone could educate me. Here are a few photos.

101242266_808329866368630_4706612440710774784_n.jpg

Curved primer, should be pre-1970's rounded style No.111

Stamp Code LE52 should equate to 25 May 1976

100428102_478_461379F20C8F370C.jpg

Did you mean to post this on the Wire? If not, that’s cool. You just might get more feedback there. A Mod can move this thread for you. 

SJ, you might want to ask this over on the Leverguns forum.  There are a couple folks there quite knowledgeable about ammo... and the .44-40 in particular.

22 hours ago, Griff said:

SJ, you might want to ask this over on the Leverguns forum.  There are a couple folks there quite knowledgeable about ammo... and the .44-40 in particular.

I have it up on four forums, to include Leverguns now and it looks like no one knows!!!  :-)

Archived