SASS Wire Forum

WWI Doughnut Recipe

Sedalia Dave

This 100-year-old doughnut recipe dates back to World War I

Though doughnut shops did not become a staple of America until mid-century, the love of the fried dough confection was still there.

“The original doughnut wasn’t at sweet as we have it today, and it wasn’t glazed as it was made to conserve time and energy,” Lora Vogt said.

The Doughnut Recipe

Ingredients:

5 cups flour

2 cups sugar

5 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt (a.k.a 1 “saltspoon”)

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups milk

1 tub lard

Directions:

Combine all ingredients (except for lard) to make dough.

Thoroughly knead dough, roll smooth, and cut into rings that are less than 1/4-inch thick.*

Drop the rings into the hot lard, making sure the fat is hot enough to brown the doughnuts gradually. Turn the doughnuts slowly several times.

When browned, remove doughnuts and allow excess fat to drop off.

Dust with powdered sugar. Let cool and enjoy.

*When finding items to cut out doughnut circles, be creative. Salvation Army Doughnut Girls used whatever they could find, from baking powder cans to coffee percolator tubes.

Well, if that doesn’t make you want to go and make donuts, I don’t know what will!

Cat Brules

I used to make donuts when I was younger. I found that if the fat was the right temp the donuts flipped themselves over. Flipping them a couple of times sounds like a good way to soak up way too much oil. Kinda like a recipe i saw recently for french toast for stay at home dads. It said to soak the bread in the egg mixture for 5 minutes. Sounded terrible, and I love french toast.

30 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

It said to soak the bread in the egg mixture for 5 minutes. Sounded terrible, and I love french toast.

I agree. You don't SOAK the bread. You COAT the bread. Set the bread in the egg mix, turn it over and put the other side in the egg mix, take it out and put it in the pan.

This should be awarded the Homer Simpson Seal of Approval!!! :wub: :lol:

A local  grocery store chain has them available during November, calling them "Salvation Army" donuts. Part of sale proceeds go to the Army during the red kettle campaign time. Not too bad, seem a little heavy after eating. About two at a time is the limit, I think. Mostly cinnamon coated sugar or just plain. Done up in boxes of six for around six bucks:blush:

Archived