SASS Wire Forum

Huntsman Senior Games

wyliefoxEsquire

We we were very excited to attend the 2020 Huntsman Senior Games Cowboy Action Shooting this October.  SOoat the start of this year we signed up, paid the fees, and made RV camping reservations (also prepaid).  Then Covid-19 appeared!

Before I ask my question I would like to make a comment.

Here is a paragraph from their website.  

https://seniorgames.net/history

In addition to athletic events, the Games promote health by providing life saving health screenings for cancer-breast and prostate. Screenings also detect other serious health threats--glaucoma, diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, and decreased bone density. Volunteer medical and nursing students assist with the screenings and generous sponsors provide diagnostic equipment and services.

I am sadden that the leaders of this event are so slow in making a decision to cancel this year's event.  By having the games, they are collecting over 10,000 people over the age of 50 (high risk Covid-19 group) into a small Utah town.  This just appears to be a 6PM news story in the making.  Do you all recall the photo of the swim party in the Ozarks.  OK, so that maybe a bit harsh, but those were low risk people.  Many of the senior games athletes have overcome all forms of cancer, heart issues and other diseases.  

The Huntsmans web site has not addressed any issues regarding Covid-19 safety. 

Question:

If you are signed up or thinking about attending, What message do you need to hear from the orgainizers so that you would be comfortable attending, given the unknows about Covid-19?

-wylie

4 hours ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Question:

If you are signed up or thinking about attending, What message do you need to hear from the orgainizers so that you would be comfortable attending, given the unknows about Covid-19?

-wylie

Let me preface my comments by stating, the fine folks at the Huntsman games and more specifically, the folks from the Dixie Desperados (handlers of the CAS portion of the games) are friends of mine - so perhaps I'm a little defensive.

I am also aware my response may seem aggressive or uncaring; but... 

The organizers of an event - any event - owe you (or me) nothing in the way of comment, explanation or defense of their decision making timeline.

I, for one, admire their restraint to not instantly give in to fear - throw up their hands and cancel an event that is still many months away.

Many possible events - both positive (cures, vaccine, herd immunity, etc.) or negative (flareups, strain mutations, etc.) could occur over the next few months.  

With no way of knowing which of the possible futures are forthcoming - it seems reasonable for an event still months away to adopt a wait and see attitude.

Life is terminal and none of us get out alive - no matter the claims, platitudes and promises of any activity.

It is ultimately upon you to make wise choices about your health and safety - to decide which activities are safe to take part in and which are not.

I assure you, every reasonable precaution will be in place at the event - but if YOU feel unsafe or uncomfortable - it is incumbent upon you and ONLY you to take the actions you feel are appropriate.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything that they are uncomfortable with - CAS is and always has been a voluntary pastime.

So, instead of relying on others to keep me safe by claiming they are doing X or cancelling Y.

I will make the appropriate partipation decisions for myself; I highly recommend others do the same.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to attend. If you don’t feel it would be safe, stay home.

Archived