SASS Wire Forum

Conversations This Past Week

Subdeacon Joe

I have a co-worker that is a shooter. He and I are friendly, but technically I am his manager. Anyway, the last week he and I were talking about pistols and this other guy walks in and tells us that we should provide guns to the other guys at the shop for self protection. Mo looks at me then looks back at idiot boy and says “You want a gun? BUY ONE! I don’t loan guns. Period!”

I just smiled and walked away. 
This past Monday morning idiot boy announces “Man, we live in a messed up state. Did you guys know that there is a 10 day wait on guns and that wait is delayed up to 20 days because everyone’s buying guns? This is messed up!”

Mo and I both laughed. I said “Here’s your sign.” and walked away. I heard Mo say “Guess who passed those silly laws?...You like to vote for ‘em.”

It’s all just a backyard barbecue ‘til it’s YOUR ass on the spit!!

Grandkid asked to borrow a 12 gauge  my question was  870 or 1100 

1100 but I want pepper and bean bags, buck shot on the side 

my local gun store said the worst was 23 days for back ground check 

GF made me buy Browning Buck Mark rifle  will see Tuesday if we can do it in 10 days 

I live on a 10 acre property and have two live streams, lots of trees, fairly secluded and when Mrs. Lose isn’t around I’ll test my reloads and guns. My new neighbor across the road used to come calling every time he’d hear the shooting to find out what was going on. Well we kinda got to know each other because of it and one day he asked if he could borrow a rifle to shoot coyotes that have been after his fenced in dogs. I told him that I couldn’t legally loan him a firearm because of the screwed up gun laws but I’d be glad to accompany him down to the LGS to purchase a rifle if he spent a little time with me out at our local gun range and he jumped at it. He’s 82 years old, served in the Marine Corps but has never owned a firearm until this happened. I hear him shooting occasionally and when I stop and talk to him, if he’s down by the road he tells me about the coyotes that he shot.

I'm sure there have been. In this lovely state of Illinois you have to have a FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) card to even hold a gun let alone possess one or buy one. So anyone wanting to borrow a gun couldn't do so legally without a FOID card. The  process for getting one is slow walked by the state takes 3 to 4 months to get approved, probably even longer now. Then if you are approved you can go buy a gun and then wait a minimum of three days before you can pick it up after another background check. They also run the list of FOID card and Concealed Carry Card holders against a background check almost every working day of the year. That's why the three day wait is important don't ya know so your name is run 6 times (3 each for carry license and foid) and once more for your gun purchase cause 7 background checks is better than just 3 the day you buy it.  So I imagine a lot of the gun control advocates and reasonable gun control people got a rude awakening this past few weeks. 

I've seen a few posts from people in Illinois shocked that they (I'm a legal upstanding person not a criminal) can't buy a gun. Can't say I didn't laugh at them.

17 hours ago, Raylan said:

I've seen a few posts from people in Illinois shocked that they (I'm a legal upstanding person not a criminal) can't buy a gun. Can't say I didn't laugh at them.

It would be worth a good laugh if it weren't such a sad state of affairs!!!

What is truly sad is that those same people will happily vote for the next piece of legislation that comes along to strip them of the freedoms our founding fathers shed blood to secure in exchange for a false sense of security.

28 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What is truly sad is that those same people will happily vote for the next piece of legislation that comes along to strip them of the freedoms our founding fathers shed blood to secure in exchange for a false sense of security.

Many won't next time even if they did so in the past.

I really do believe in Sunday being a day of rest, but demand for carry permits is so high right now that I will give a Firearms Safety class this Sunday. Just to get on top of the backlog. Fully booked. And the phone is still ringing.

Millions of citizens have changed their view of personal safety and responsibility in the last 3 months. Welcome them with open arms!

Revelation 19:11

“And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.” 

My son applied for his Foid card in February and I had my ex-wife attempt to apply at the same time. I signed for it and a local gun shop did the paperwork online. When they tried to do it for the ex-wife, the system kicked her out and she was to get an email on how to apply due to being blocked. I talked to her about it a while back and she never got the email and did not follow up on it. She did not care for a shotgun, she was ok with a Colt SAA, but she was really good with a Marlin lever gun in 357. My son has not got his Foid card yet. I would feel better if she had followed up on her card as she use to have one when we lived together and my guess his card is held up from the shutdown. One thing about Illinois is you don't want to let it expire as it voids your ccw permit and you have to start over to get the permit once you have a valid card again.

They demonstrated about 3 blocks from where they live but he was in Southern Illinois with me that day and it was peaceful. When he drove home the next day, my sister met him just north of Kankakee and showed him how to get home on the back roads as they were rioting along his normal route home. The riots were about a mile from where they live.

Uno and I visited a sporting goods store today.  While Uno was talking with a gentleman about a gun safe, a woman asked my advise on which ladies CC purse didn't look like a CC purse.  She didn't want to be too obvious.  I told her they all looked like CC purses.  If you don't want to look like you were carrying a CC purse, I suggest purchasing a run of the mill shoulder bag with a pocket dedicated to safely carrying your firearm.   She looked at my run of the mill purse, looked at me, smiled and walked away.

What will happen is that the rank and file police in every major city and liberal city will back off on policing due to being threatened by their cities politicians and sensibly not wanting to put themselves out there to be targets of persecution and vitriol for trying to do their job when the mayors and cities no longer offer them any support or backing. Then the criminals and gangs will know that it is open season and they will take advantage of it to rape, murder, rob, kill, loot, and riot. The crime rates will skyrocket some of it reported and some not because many will be too afraid to report it. And then there will come the calls for more gun control as a solution to the problems caused not by lawful gun owners but by criminals given free reign on the streets and politicians and activists who neutered law enforcement. The MSM will support the gun control narrative 24/7 and play up any mass shootings thus helping to trigger more mass shootings by making the killers famous. It is all too predictable.

A few years ago when I was working part time at a gun shop/range some guy came and asked if we rented guns. We said yes, what were you looking for. He said a 9 mm and then asked when would he have to return it! We had a big laugh but the guy was serious!! :lol:

First time I heard of a place that rented guns - I guess I was in my late teens or early twenties - that's what I thought.

You go to the tool rental place and rent a lawn mower, and take it home and cut your grass then bring it back.

You go to the car rental place and rent a car, you drive it around a while and then bring it back.

Except for guns, I can't think of a single thing that you rent but can't take it off the property.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A few years ago when I was working part time at a gun shop/range some guy came and asked if we rented guns. We said yes, what were you looking for. He said a 9 mm and then asked when would he have to return it! We had a big laugh but the guy was serious!! :lol:

I have witnessed this myself a couple of times. 

The best one was a tree hugger Portlandian that wanted to get into hiking and was told of all the lions and tigers and bears, Oh My, in the Mount Hood area of Oregon. 
He came into the LGS / Range / Gunsmith shop I frequented. He wanted a .44 Magnum revolver for the weekend. 
When told that he could not rent a gun and take it with him he got quite flustered. 
I do have to give the guy at the Range counter credit. He convinced the guy to rent a gun and take safety and shooting lessons to see if having and shooting a gun was right for him. 
I found out later that the first time the guy pulled a trigger on an S&W 629 he set the gun down and decided he needed to reevaluate his selection. I can’t really blame anyone for that. I wish I had more sense in my youth as maybe I may not have the wrist damage I have now. 
He ended up with an S&W 686 4” barrel. 

Archived