SASS Wire Forum

Surgery Thursday

Creeker, SASS #43022

Well it's time.  

Shoulder surgery next Thursday - rotator cuff, labrum, biceps tendon.   Ya freakin' hooo.

Even more annoying is the pre registration - Blood tests, EKG and my personal favorite - sticking a cotton swab up my nose and into my brain for Covid 19 testing.

So after accruing two months of rust from quarantine (which I sadly showed last week in Prescott; but thanks to the Whiskey Row Gunfighters for a great time anyways)  I face the possibility of another 8-12 weeks of time off.

Wish me luck.

You might need the wife or girl friend to help in the shower...Being in California or another of your choice....Here we have keep an open mind....Might upset someone...

Texas Lizard

At least the cotton swab went up the nose and not the other end...

Creeker - lots of luck next Thursday.  I had the same kind of surgery last year (they had to open me up to do it).  I strongly suggest that you have an ice/water machine with the shoulder cuff, it was a real lifesaver the first couple of months.  Let us all know how it went.  

Good luck, Creeker! Had the same surgery in '14. They'll probably supply you with the ice machine and shoulder wrap after the procedure. Hope ya have a good recliner to live in for several weeks, day & night. Huge thing is the rehab you'll be doing, both at the PT place & at home. Had mine in mid-Oct and shot 1st match the following Feb. Talk to Johnny M this wknd at Damn Site. He's both sides done & a complete shoulder reconstruction.

Word of advice - after the surgery don't do anything STUPID until the Surgeon says you can do something STUPID!!!

Best of luck and it was great seeing you again at Prescott. 

Hells Comin 

Best of luck Creeker.  Had a total shoulder replacement a year and a half ago.  Never felt better.  Like Hells said, listen to your surgeon and don't push it.  I also agree that ice is your new best friend.  See you down the trail.    

53 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Word of advice - after the surgery don't do anything STUPID until the Surgeon says you can do something STUPID!!!

Best of luck and it was great seeing you again at Prescott. 

Hells Comin 

But...  But...  But...  I specialize in stupid.

It's hard to refrain from the only thing I am really good at.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Creeker - lots of luck next Thursday.  I had the same kind of surgery last year (they had to open me up to do it).  I strongly suggest that you have an ice/water machine with the shoulder cuff, it was a real lifesaver the first couple of months.  Let us all know how it went.  

Another vote for the ice/water machine. I had one after my second hip replacement. The results are well worth getting one! Prayers up for a good outcome for ya!

Yeah Creeker, don’t practice yer tradecraft!

Seriously, you will need to build back muscle mass, and figure out how far to take your physical therapy in every session, as you go.  I’m finding I’m having to “push” my therapist a bit in order to progress, while not overdoing it.  You are one that will know that best.  I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is very successful.

Cat Brules

JEDI Creeker,

Sure hate to hear about your shoulder and the surgery.

I've never had it, but 2 of my brothers have.   As other stated, do as the Doc says and not overdo anything to hurt your recovery.

Time to heal and proper PT will be your best friend....... along with that ice machine and a good recliner.

Wish you well.

..........Widder

Creeker

Wishing you the best of outcomes.

Charlie

3 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

But...  But...  But...  I specialize in stupid.

It's hard to refrain from the only thing I am really good at.

I speak from experience!

Creeker

Sorry to hear you’re having to go through that.  Sure hope your recovery is complete.  Get out your biggest bag of patience—not a virtue I possess much of.  I had my 1st hip replacement a little over 2 weeks ago and the recovery days have really seemed to drag.  With both surgeries this summer, I will, like you, be contending with CAS interruptus for a while.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Cass

Creeker,

I had the same surgery last June. Here is another vote for the ice/water machine. PT may be your friend, but to begin with, it doesn't feel like it. I had pretty much the same work that you will be having, my surgeon wanted me out of work and not doing a lot for 13 weeks.

Here is wishing you the best of luck.

Good luck my friend.

sorry to hear this but hopefully you will return to action in a better place , nothing fun about it but the alternative offers little to look forward to so my prayers and hopes are also with you , 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

sorry to hear this but hopefully you will return to action in a better place , nothing fun about it but the alternative offers little to look forward to so my prayers and hopes are also with you , 

Thank you. 

And thank you to everyone for the well wishes and advice.

It is my right shoulder - fortunately, I am a lefty. 

But as a Gunfighter and a pull four shells from the right 97 shooter - my biggest concern is not my ability to return to the game, but to do so in a competitive manner.

But if circumstances dictate - I was a fairly proficient (double) Duelist years ago - perhaps a return may be in order.

Or I can explore the world of supported shooters.

And I can experiment with different models of loading the 97.

I just hate losing the summer and the inevitable decline in skillset from dis-use.

But I'll be back.

I love the game too much.

I love my friends within the game too much.

And honestly; the same reason I took so long to get the shoulder fixed is the same reason I'll guarantee I'll be back.

I'm just too stinking stubborn to give in.

I'll see you all soon.

Hey, shooting is therapy, right?

Yep!

Shooting is therapy.

And you don't need to be at the top of the score-sheets to have fun.

(Ask me how I know LOL)

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’ve had my share of shoulder issues, not as significant as yours, but I can relate.

I hope you make a swift and complete recovery.

I don't actually know how significant my issues are. 

When the Dr. says, I think I know everything we are going to run into; but when I get in there - things can always change.

And I don't know myself either...

Sometimes it feels like a red-hot spike thru the shoulder; other times it doesn't hurt so bad and I wonder if I'm being a wuss and should just "suck it up buttercup".

Had the EXACT same thing done a few years ago.  Your concerns about not being competitive upon your return are unfounded.  As a matter of fact, you'll be better. (That's assuming you don't do something stupid and try to come back too soon.)  Whether you know it or not you're favoring that shoulder.  That's slowing you down.  Once it heals up and you get the strength back I bet you'll notice a dramatic difference in your shooting ability.

Best of luck to you my friend.  Hope to see you out there soon.  

Don't do anything stupid. :D

9 hours ago, Ringer said:

Hope everything is going well.

Good luck with the rehab.

No rehab as of yet.  Went to the surgical center and found out my insurance doesn't approve of the place.

According to them (insurance) the procedure "must" be done at a hospital and I "have" to remain overnight.

So what I expected to be outpatient surgery at the surgical center yesterday is now an overnight stay at the hospital NEXT Thursday.  

Downside is I have to wait another week - upside is maybe I'll go shooting this weekend.  Or not...

Depends on whether I can get my lazy hind end out of bed and lift the guncart into the car in the morning.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

No rehab as of yet.  Went to the surgical center and found out my insurance doesn't approve of the place.

According to them (insurance) the procedure "must" be done at a hospital and I "have" to remain overnight.

So what I expected to be outpatient surgery at the surgical center yesterday is now an overnight stay at the hospital NEXT Thursday.  

Downside is I have to wait another week - upside is maybe I'll go shooting this weekend.  Or not...

Depends on whether I can get my lazy hind end out of bed and lift the guncart into the car in the morning.

That's about the dumbest thing I've heard, talk about adding unnecessary cost and inconvenience.

COVID CRAP - this has to stop soon , life has gone on after every epidemic , every disease , but never EVER has such a thing been politicized to the extent that common folks could not get adequate medical attention before , this has gone far enough , when everyday patients [ yes i know a whole bunch personally] cannot get their medical attention for real medical concerns the system is broken - politicized - out of touch with reality , 

reality is -a lot of us are going to get sick , its life , it happens every year , its going to happen in the future , facts  IS some folks are going to get this and die , but the whole world cannot stop , cancer patients cannot go without treatment , sick folks cannot be told on video/phone med consults they dont matter , they do , 

and the rest of us need to pick our lazy a$$es off that same couch and say enough - get out and continue living - im not going down this way , 

I've had both shoulders done. In both cases I was in rehab doing PT the next day and every day the first week then 3X weekly with

home PT to do. Been over a decade for both and am very happy with the results!! You've got to keep up with PT the first 6 months

or scar tissue will return and range of motion will decrease.

Yo-Ho-De-O Creeker you old pelican. Take care, God Bless & yes do listen to the Doctors & leave the Nurses alone pilgrim

Good Luck & hang in there

Jackrabbit & Sly Puppy

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Yo-Ho-De-O Creeker you old pelican. Take care, God Bless & yes do listen to the Doctors & leave the Nurses alone pilgrim

Good Luck & hang in there

Jackrabbit & Sly Puppy

So...

I'm not allowed to be stupid.

And now, I'm forbidden from chasing nurses?  

I thought that was the whole purpose of an overnight stay.

This is starting to sound like less and less fun all the time.  

Thank you everybody for the kind words.

Archived