SASS Wire Forum

Defunding the Police.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should give this a trial run.  If a city is thinking about defunding the police, they should just send all the police home for a week and see how things work out.  

It's been my experience that you get what you pay for when it comes to law enforcement.  If you pay the least, treat them like a necessary evil and use them as political sacrificial lambs, then you get what you got.

Good folks would form vigilance groups, and probably administer justice rather swiftly on the spot.  The bad guys better be careful what they wish for.  The bad guys don’t realize that the police protect them as well.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

It's been my experience that you get what you pay for when it comes to law enforcement.  If you pay the least, treat them like a necessary evil and use them as political sacrificial lambs, then you get what you got.

As much as I love Tucson, that's about the way the Mayor and City Clowncil act. With the Chief of Police leading the charge.:angry:

I once had a dream where in a post apocalypse time there was no public law enforcement.   What substituted for a kind of law and order were insurance agents. If you had coverage by an insurance company,  they would try to reconcile any problem you run into - depending on the extent of our coverage.  If you didn't have some insurance coverage,  you were screwed. 

Howdy,

I see some things might be like the 1800s that we are fond of....

the fastest gun was right.

Hmmmm….

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I think if the cities defund the police departments, that will lead to less police offices on the street.

So if that happenes then take the officers from the areas that the police defunded.

Cease policing of the neighborhoods where the idiots live that thought this up.  Don't allow then to use any public funds to hire their own police forces or body guards.

Be sure to let their neighbors know why they are now unprotected, too.

Who? 
The same mental midget who cannot figure out which toilet to use, or which sports team to play for.

Take a moment to consider the Ultimate Loser:

•  A male cuts off his man-parts to "be a woman"
•  Now sits down to pee
•  Eventually develops prostate cancer
•  Still has no clitoris
•  Pretends to get a period
•  Demands Tampax in the men's rest room

After indulging his mental illness, he realizes he is not a woman at all. 
He is actually a kazoo that identifies as a giraffe.

And... they vote for more of their own.

They're actually talking about this in Minneapolis. OK, let it happen. When you need a Police Officer, instead call one of the on-duty City Council members that came up with this BS. Or, better yet, call an activist.

Let me know how that works for you. Morons.

A city councilman in Charlotte has proposed defunding any tear gas for the police after an incident the other day.

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A city councilman in Charlotte has proposed defunding any tear gas for the police after an incident the other day.

How many times were you tear gassed In your careers? You survived every one. I was gassed so many times I actually like the DI’s became immune  

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I once had a dream where in a post apocalypse time there was no public law enforcement.   What substituted for a kind of law and order were insurance agents. If you had coverage by an insurance company,  they would try to reconcile any problem you run into - depending on the extent of our coverage.  If you didn't have some insurance coverage,  you were screwed. 

The "Our Thing Insurance Company?"  

Oh, well...Minneapolis plans on doing it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-city-council-disband-police-george-floyd

“We recognize that we don’t have all the answers about what a police-free future looks like, but our community does. We’re committing to engaging with every willing community member in the city of Minneapolis over the next year to identify what safety looks like for you.”

:blink:

8 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

“We recognize that we don’t have all the answers about what a police-free future looks like, but our community does. We’re committing to engaging with every willing community member in the city of Minneapolis over the next year to identify what safety looks like for you.”

O Swell.

That oughtta work out just fine for the sweet li'l anarchists....   <_<

Anarchist Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock                    Anarchist Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

If this is implemented, the streets of Minneapolis will be unsafe to walk down!!  I wouldn't send criminals there!!

On 6/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

They want to have less police and mix in social workers who are trained in de escalating situations.  

Sounds like the mortuaries would be in for a boom in business.

Yep the funeral directors will be standing in front of their places of business, smiling and wringing their hands together.  They’ll have TV ads displaying their handiwork.  Costco, Walmart, et al. Will be selling coffins.  Etc. etc. etc.

Few, if any of these posturing, 15-minutes- of-fame nitwit politicians, or their cities will defund the police.  

They’ll pass resolutions, bitch, piss and moan, make phony promises to their constituents, make a few BS “changes” (acceptable to the police), give a speech or two, praise the police chief, and declare victory.  Then they’ll breath out a sigh of relief, grateful that they weren’t mauled to death by the public.  They’ll change their underwear, and hope all well be forgotten by the next election.  

ACTUALLY, not wanting to do any real work, they’ll likely just lay low and hope all their talk will be forgotten.  

They know all this trouble was manifested and enabled due to their own, their Dimocratik states’ governors’, their cities’ mayors’ and their various cities’ police chiefs’ incompetence.  

My view, as I’ve said elsewhere, is that bad cops are tolerated by their peers and the worst of their bad behavior and outright criminal acts in the field rarely/never make it out of the field.   I believe that most police chiefs and their senior staff officers, especially in the medium size and larger cities have morphed into politicians.  They’re estranged so far from field personnel, they’ve turned over management and “training” to field sergeants, who may or not, brief their field-level Lt’s.  I doubt much, (unless it’s unhide-able), gets pushed upstairs.  

Unless this (previously described) dynamic changes significantly, bad apples like Derek Chauvin will lurk below the surface until they fubar themselves into the light of day.  Their coworkers are too frightened to turn them in.  If their coworkers do turn them in, then they themselves are often ostracized by their peers.

Sooo, I doubt we’ll see “defunding of the police” occurIng to any significant extent, or in any measurable, meaningful way.

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

They must be pro drunk driving.

I was thinking they would want an extra lane on roads just for drunk drivers. So they won't hit anyone else.

Hmmm. So no Miranda warnings, right to an attorney, etc.

Sound like you just need a shovel and an alibi.

A bobcat would work better.

Just thinking the paradigm through.

Without police, who will write speeding tickets? Um, I mean revenue generating dollars for the city?

The speeding part will be a free for all.

Watch out.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:17 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I also like the police taking a few days off

all at once.

This concept is known as "blue flu," which is a de facto strike, even if police are prohibited by law from striking.  

Throughout my entire law enforcement career, the blue flu was threatened multiple times.  The administration was known for being toxic and incompetent, and would routinely throw good cops under the bus for political or personal reasons.  Cops had taken to meeting with members of the media and being interviewed under disguise to bring some of the major problems to light.  There were shortcomings on management skill, common sense, and -- I hate to say it -- ethics.  It had no effect.  A cop who screwed up was punished.  A cop who did the right thing was punished if they didn't like him.  But brass routinely committed crimes and got away with it, from drunk driving to picking up hookers.  They actually changed the promotion and specialized unit selection policies to specifically state they can select whomever they want, regardless of how they scored on the testing process.  Nepotism abounded, and some of the laziest, stupidest morons got ahead.  

We were understaffed to begin with, but cops were also quitting left and right.  It takes almost two years to hire and train a cop, so attrition must be planned for.   When I was hired there were 3000 applicants for 28 positions.  900 passed all the tests.  300 passed the background checks.  That means the chief was in a position to select the 28 BEST candidates from 300 fully qualified individuals.  Luxury.  But the administration was so toxic and incompetent that our reputation changed and recruiting started to change.  Today, they are running academies that are not at full capacity because they didn't have enough applicants to find enough qualified people.  Pass everything, and you're hired.  

I was called to active duty by the Army Reserves for about 2 1/2 years straight, and then returned to my policing job.  Having escaped the toxic environment for that long made the toxicity palatable when I returned.  At my first shift briefing back, the air was thick with tension.  The Sergeant began discussing a new policy that was one more in a long line of stupidity.  One of my colleagues yelled out, "That's BULL$#%*!!!"

Sergeant:  "You can't say that!  That's insubordination!"

Officer:  "What are you going to do, send me home?  Suspend me?  You can't.  You don't have enough cops, YOU CAN'T DO SQUAT TO ME!  THIS PLACE F-ING SUCKS!!!!"  

Other cops:  *coughing* "blue flu, blue flu, blue flu*

Sergeant:  *dumbfounded* sends everyone to the street.

I started a new career six weeks later, doubled my income, work Monday through Friday during the day with holidays off, and haven't had a harsh word spoken to me let alone a gunshot or knife.  I haven't looked back.

Blue flu, indeed.

The criminals need to realize there will be nobody to read them their Miranda rights.:)

Largo

14 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Sir Robert Peel recognized a need for a police force in 1829 and organized the London Metro Police. (That’s how they got the name Bobby’s Boys aka Bobbies). Prior to that, law enforcement was done by the military! Peel formulated 9 Principles of Policing which remain valid. To disband a police department in a modern city is absolutely insane. Inexcusable knee jerk stupidity!

43CC6638-AE71-493C-B4D4-0EACA09CA77E.jpeg

Publishing the addresses for the politicians that propose this sort of thing might help  them with their decisions in this regard.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

DEFUNDING THE POLICE???

That has got to be the dumbest political idea I've ever heard. 

What mental midget thinks this is a good idea?

https://scottjfriend.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/weird_looking_guy1.png

The same mental midgets that think keeping law abiding citizens locked up and freeing convicted felons is a good thing to do to prevent the spread of the rona 

One interesting thing concerning Minneapolis abolishing or defunding the police was brought up on the morning news (Fox, I think...I channel surf a lot):  The Minnesota (and New York State) constitutions require cities to maintain a police force.  Be interesting to see what happens if the Minneapolis city council goes through with abolishment. 

Archived