SASS Wire Forum

What are the Odds? Snake skin

Where I bunk down, there have been snakes every year.   So far, black rat snakes and corn snakes.   Big and not so big.

Lots of Snake Skins can be found in places that surprise me.

Anyhow, yesterday I found a complete skin (fresh black snake) on top of my truck engine.

Of all the snake skins I have seen and discovered over the past 30 years, this particular skin is COMPLETE.

I mean, from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail, this skin is perfect.  You can even see the scales from the eyes on it.

Plus, although on the medium side of size, it measures a true 51".

I was just wondering what were the odds of getting the COMPLETE skin in perfect condition.

P.S. - NO, I didn't find the snake.   And NO, I can't tell if its male or female but I think its from a female because its got the mouth open.

;)

..........Widder

Those freak my SO out, therefore, I don't mind bringing them in and leaving them on her side of the couch where she'll find them.

Oh, the answer to your question is..........42.

Check under your front seat. ;)

I had a 2’ garter snake come out from under my seat when I lived in Virginia. It surprised me but I didn’t freak out. My buddy,  on the other hand, did  He actually jumped out of the truck as I was slowing at about 20 miles and hour and he did not fall. His short little legs were definitely moving though. :lol:

I stopped the truck, caught the snake which went back under the seat and then I let it go in the grass by the side of the road. 
I never figured out how it got into the cab of my truck. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Check under your front seat. ;)

I had a 2’ garter snake come out from under my seat when I lived in Virginia. It surprised me but I didn’t freak out. My buddy,  on the other hand, did  He actually jumped out of the truck as I was slowing at about 20 miles and hour and he did not fall. His short little legs were definitely moving though. :lol:

I stopped the truck, caught the snake which went back under the seat and then I let it go in the grass by the side of the road. 
I never figured out how it got into the cab of my truck. 

Odds are that your passenger didn't put it there.  :lol:

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Where I bunk down, there have been snakes every year.   So far, black rat snakes and corn snakes.   Big and not so big.

Anyhow, yesterday I found a complete skin (fresh black snake) on top of my truck engine.

Of all the snake skins I have seen and discovered over the past 30 years, this particular skin is COMPLETE.

I mean, from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail, this skin is perfect.  You can even see the scales from the eyes on it.

I was just wondering what were the odds of getting the COMPLETE skin in perfect condition.

P.S. - NO, I didn't find the snake.   And NO, I can't tell if its male or female but I think its from a female because its got the mouth open.

;)

..........Widder

Ha! 51" my bottom. That sounds like a no good low down Yankee lie! :ph34r:

Kidding of course. Not everybody will know how to tell if'n it poisonous or not. Lay it on em 

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Ha! 51" my bottom. That sounds like a no good low down Yankee lie! :ph34r:

Kidding of course. Not everybody will know how to tell if'n it poisonous or not. Lay it on em 

I might be low down.   And, I've been known to spin a yarn.

But thats a down right insult being called a 'Yankee'................... :lol:

The SURE FIRE way to tell if a snake is poisonous:   Check out the scale positions on its belly.

A Poisonous snake will have SINGLE ROW of scales that run across its belly in the same manner ALL the way to its tail

A NON-Poisonous snake will have a Single Row on the belly, BUT from the anal plate back to the tail, the scales will be divided,

or double rowed.

Of course, there are other ways to tell but this is the one constant for all snakes.

As for TN Williams, he runs out to Walmart and buys a toy snake for a trick photo op to make everyone think he's

a snake charmer at Jurrasic Park.

Rumor has it that he plans to change his alias to Wartrace Ratsnake..... :lol:

...........Widder

31 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I might be low down.   And, I've been known to spin a yarn.

But thats a down right insult being called a 'Yankee'................... :lol:

The SURE FIRE way to tell if a snake is poisonous:   Check out the scale positions on its belly.

A Poisonous snake will have SINGLE ROW of scales that run across its belly in the same manner ALL the way to its tail

A NON-Poisonous snake will have a Single Row on the belly, BUT from the anal plate back to the tail, the scales will be divided,

or double rowed.

Of course, there are other ways to tell but this is the one constant for all snakes.

As for TN Williams, he runs out to Walmart and buys a toy snake for a trick photo op to make everyone think he's

a snake charmer at Jurrasic Park.

Rumor has it that he plans to change his alias to Wartrace Ratsnake..... :lol:

...........Widder

I can't do a laugh and a thanks too. Deserves both!

Here's a "snake-in-the-car" story I posted here a couple of years ago....  :rolleyes:

The Snike

^_^

18 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

;)

..........Widder

I have found the odds increase the fresher they are. The complete ones I have found generally are recent. We have caught 3 black rats and one garter in last 2 weeks.

Check the garter snake out, talk about optimism....

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

Hardpan,

Thats a classic story.   I loved the 'SNIKE'.   Thanks.

Dirty Dan,

thanks for the pics.   Most of the Black Rat snakes I encounter are very docile.   Corn snakes like to strike.  Their biggest problem is that

they look like a Copperhead, which ain't good

..........Widder

16 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

A NON-Poisonous snake will have a Single Row on the belly, BUT from the anal plate back to the tail, the scales will be divided, or double rowed.

You can use the same method to distinguish Democrats from Republicans. 

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You can use the same method to distinguish Democrats from Republicans. 

Yea, but who wants to roll one over to see where their anal is located?

Have you ever heard the term....'rectalcranial inversion'.

..........Widder

28 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yea, but who wants to roll one over to see where their anal is located?

Have you ever heard the term....'rectalcranial inversion'.

..........Widder

Yes, I have heard that term.   Just you be careful, Widder, that you don’t give one of’em a good kick in the ass and cause brain damage.  That means it would likely cause a  transfer of a significant resource to take care of them....including periodically changing the diaper over their mouth.

Cat Brules

Archived