SASS Wire Forum

I just read about the Colt Super 38 on the Colt Forum.   Then I saw this ad for a 1951 version that is listed for sale on the Outdoors Trader.  I have no connection at all, but just wanted to share this information about the article and photos of an old Colt for those that may have an interest.....

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-colt-super-38.2216620/

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/colt-1911-38.377958/

A nickel plated 38 Super with fancy Mexican grips is on my bucket list.

Had a Series 70 Colt Lightweight Commander with brushed satin nickel finish,ln 38 Super.Quite a handful with factory  loads.

One round after dark and your night vision  was history

Choctaw Jack 

Interesting. Many moons ago when I was shooting IPSC they got popular for a while since you could eek out major caliber ballistics with a light bullet and low recoil and enough gas to make a compensator effective. Hardhead old me generally stuck with a .45. Kinda like in SASS I wasn't a top flight shooter anyway so a few tenths of a second off my times wasn't going to make much difference. Didn't have the money for a race gun anyway.

JHC

I have reloaded and shot a lot since the late 60's- a variety of stuff. But I had ignored 38 Super till about 3 years ago. Bought an older PARA full size 1911 and started feeding it. Made a sport out of reloading and using up old powders and bullets thru it. It shoots everything good, even used up a bunch of lead semi wadcutter 158 gr revolver bullets. I have been very impressed with the cartridge, especially when I consider when it was invented and put into use. The only thing that keeps me from shooting it more  and in competition is it's hard to scrounge brass for the cartridge.  The story goes that the first  Colts weren't very accurate with the cartridge till aftermarket gunsmiths started chambering barrels and found the right way to headspace the chamber.  I think it is the cartridge that the FBI should have gone to instead of 9mm.  It's a peppier round but still very controllable and fits in the same size gun. If you like to play around try it!

I like the 38 Super , easy to get brass for , had 3 1911s in it , been thinking I should get one , as I still get brass and bullets , 

the 147 gn  was very accurate in the commander I had , seemed to hit with lots of thump 

pretty well a toss up 38 Super or 357 Sig , were I to build one 

CB 

22 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A nickel plated 38 Super with fancy Mexican grips is on my bucket list.

When I bought mine I wanted a full bright stainless, but Colt don't make them very often, got a plain stainless one. I do like it, but if I ever walk into a gun shop and see one of these...

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-custom-government-38-super-5-barrel-bright-stainless-finish-291-wood-grips-3-dot-sights-thumb-safety-hard-cas

ETA, I use the same 130gr flat points in it I use in my .38 spl cowboy loads.

22 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

When I bought mine I wanted a full bright stainless, but Colt don't make them very often, got a plain stainless one. I do like it, but if I ever walk into a gun shop and see one of these...

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-custom-government-38-super-5-barrel-bright-stainless-finish-291-wood-grips-3-dot-sights-thumb-safety-hard-cas

ETA, I use the same 130gr flat points in it I use in my .38 spl cowboy loads.

my local shop has/had two of those in the case.  

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I see you don't mention where you are.

They are/were at the shop in Manchester Iowa, only shop in town.  I didn’t get one as I like the bobed hammer and beaver tail safety.  Would still like a colt model 70 in ss, in 38 super.  

I have a super 38. But I don’t have a 38 Super. ;)

Archived