SASS Wire Forum

No Baseball In 2020

Yul Lose

It appears to me that Major League Baseball may not be played in 2020. If you listen to what the player reps say there is a huge gap between what they’ll accept and the owners offers. That’s a real bummer.

37 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It appears to me that Major League Baseball may not be played in 2020. If you listen to what the player reps say there is a huge gap between what they’ll accept and the owners offers. That’s a real bummer.

I've pretty much wrote it off! Bummer! The Indians would have won the World Series this year! :P

The Indians won the world series in 1920 (also in 1948) So 100 years would have put them right there!! That would have been pretty cool!!

There is a tiny bit of good news.  I'm supposed to begin my rookie year of umpiring this year, with age divisions from 8-18 (the league goes younger but there are no umpires and use a machine to pitch in the younger divisions).  Our season is a GO!  

I had my 13 year-old son, who can throw about 70 mph, launching them across the plate so I could practice calling balls and strikes, not moving my head at all (as trained).  There was no catcher, so I knew every pitch was going to whack my protective gear.  I didn't move my head, but I'm bruised!

That’s too bad. With all of this silliness going on so far this year, we sure could use the diversion. Even if we had to eat hot dogs and drink cold beer from the relative comfort of our own homes. Only down-side is you can’t throw the peanut shells on the floor...

Won't miss it much. I used to play a lot of baseball (HS, College, Service) and loved it. But I think today"s players are spoiled and  over paid, as are most professional athletes. They are arguing over money. Their pay should be prorated by game and they should get paid for each game they play.

Given the circumstances, I think the owners may decide to hold out on pay increases and look at 2021 and the economy at that time.

I heard John Smoltz on a radio show this morning. He's a commentator on some MLB network or something. He thinks they will get their s.....stuff together and get it going sometime this summer, FWIW. Hope he's right. This sux.

JHC

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Given the circumstances, I think the owners may decide to hold out on pay increases and look at 2021 and the economy at that time.

I think the players are the ones holding this up! Just MHO from what I've heard.

Major league baseball is the only professional sports that I watched any more.

of course, the only REAL way to watch baseball is live at the stadium.  But, living where I live now, that is not feasible.

Cat Brules

6 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I had my 13 year-old son, who can throw about 70 mph, launching them across the plate so I could practice calling balls and strikes, not moving my head at all (as trained).  There was no catcher, so I knew every pitch was going to whack my protective gear.  I didn't move my head, but I'm bruised!

Good bruised umpire!

But it's hard to fix stupid.  ;):P:lol:

.^_^

56 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think the players are the ones holding this up! Just MHO from what I've heard.

The owners, the players are both to be held accountable. They're all nothing more than greedy people that are chopping their nose off to spite their face. They don't care about the fans....just themselves. I really feel bad for the young baseball players that would have been great and will never have the chance to shine due to this whole situation.

South Korean baseball seen on ESPN, 6 games a week.  Set your DVR, usually comes on real early.  Lots of bat flips.

There’s always next year. Baseball fans are durable and long lived. 

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've pretty much wrote it off! Bummer! The Indians would have won the World Series this year! :P

Not really, Rye. The Cards were in the game strong, until the game was called. 

10 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

That’s too bad. With all of this silliness going on so far this year, we sure could use the diversion. Even if we had to eat hot dogs and drink cold beer from the relative comfort of our own homes. Only down-side is you can’t throw the peanut shells on the floor...

Huh! and why is that?

36 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Not really, Rye. The Cards were in the game strong, until the game was called. 

Hey Badger, if they play a 50 game season, which has been talked about, there's a good chance we can see the Cards and Indians in the World Series!!!

I'll buy the first beer buddy!!;)

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hey Badger, if they play a 50 game season, which has been talked about, there's a good chance we can see the Cards and Indians in the World Series!!!

You are on, Friend.

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Because they fade after 50 games?

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Because they fade after 50 games?

Pretty much:P 

I did miss seeing my boys play rec baseball and soccer this year.
I never could watch a baseball game all the way through but my kids. I played one season and that was enough for me.

Archived