SASS Wire Forum

State of Antique

Sawhorse Kid

National Firearms Act Definitions
Antique Firearm

26 U.S.C. § 5845(G)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

BATFE

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Before 1899.

Read the NFA definition above

Depends on what you mean by classify. The NFA definition for firearms is one thing. The classification of vehicles depends on the state in which they’re registered. 25 years is pretty standard but some vary.

Most professional antique dealers will define it as an object at least 100 years old.  Newer objects are frequently termed “vintage”.But over the years this has been generally diluted. Newer objects are frequently termed “vintage”.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Read the NFA definition above

I have.

in or before 1898

IN or before. That means 1898 and earlier, which means BEFORE 1899.

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm 51. Kids say I qualify.

Young ' un

It's sad to walk into an antique shop and find things that you got for anniversary gifts after you'd been married for 35 or 40 years. 

It also depends on a number of other factors.

Some of you are antiques, some are simply old wrecks, a lot are restored, some are just vintage novelties, too many are garbage, and then there's ME.  

I'm a collectible classic.

I used to wander through a local antique store. A little disconcerting finding toys that I had played with as a child were now antiques.

This was the mid-90s. One day I found these.

il_570xN.203442564.jpg

These McDonald's coffee cups were released in 1978. They were less than 20 years old at the time, but they were antiques.

Wow.

Archived