SASS Wire Forum

WTB first-time coach gun, 12 ga, side by side

Howdy!  I am looking for a 12 ga side-by-side to get started.  I have no preference for 1 or 2 triggers,.  I don't want hammers because that seems to be an extra step I don't need when shooting, but if it's not much of a factor, please tell me about it.  I am new to Cowboy Action Shooting, and the group here in Memphis have been amazingly helpful.  I found some pump guns here, but I really like the coach guns.  I got started right before the virus ran rampant, so my trigger finger is itchy, to say the least! 

I have been looking at Stoegers and similar models, but I would love to find a backup gun someone isn't using if that's possible.  Please reply or pm me, if you have suggestions or have one to sell.  I think I just missed a coach gun today by 3 hours.

Thanks,

Griff McCearley

Hi Griff, and Welcome  :D

You're going to get lots and lots of answers.  Some really good, some not so Bueno.  Ignore both ends.  Unfortunately, right now, most of the importers such as Cimarron, Taylors and others are some short on supply as nothing has been coming in since the troubles.  My suggestion is to look at guns with TWO triggers, with little to no work done.  Many of the guns on the second hand market have been "over-modified" and are no longer reliable or are outright junque.  Caveat Emptor.  Scoring a nice, unmolested Stoeger Coach with double triggers is a great starting point.  I cannot in all good faith suggest you lay out 13 or 14 hundred for your first rodeo.  Also, ask around your local club.  Be very weary of buying "on line"

4 hours ago, G. McCearley said:

Howdy!  I am looking for a 12 ga side-by-side to get started.  I have no preference for 1 or 2 triggers,.  I don't want hammers because that seems to be an extra step I don't need when shooting, but if it's not much of a factor, please tell me about it.  I am new to Cowboy Action Shooting, and the group here in Memphis have been amazingly helpful.  I found some pump guns here, but I really like the coach guns.  I got started right before the virus ran rampant, so my trigger finger is itchy, to say the least! 

I have been looking at Stoegers and similar models, but I would love to find a backup gun someone isn't using if that's possible.  Please reply or pm me, if you have suggestions or have one to sell.  I think I just missed a coach gun today by 3 hours.

Thanks,

Griff McCearley

Highly recommend looking at the Charles Daly that John Barleycorn is selling.  Love mine.

Griff------I got a hammered 12 ga coachgun made in ca Georgia ,Vt.----a JW 2000---stamped Zhongzhou Machine Works ,China---not a high quality gun bit it works good is in great shape---bought it off one of Mfs. Gunslingers that was moving off to Chicago area a few years ago---------$350-- f t f-----sending ya a pm w/ my tel # so if ya interested & gonna be at MSSA sometime we could meet up & ya try it out !!------Dirty

Thanks everyone! 

Dirty Low Down, let's try it out sometime for sure.  I was originally trying to find one with no hammers, but like I said, I am just learning the ropes here...

Archived