SASS Wire Forum

SKUNK!

Cat Brules

It’s Midnight here in California, on the Central Coast.

Since I have difficulty sleeping, I decided to go out on the porch In the cool air to try to relax a bit.  I opened the door and there was a skunk out there.  It took me a nanosecond to slam the door.  Good grief, there’s nothing here for it to scavenge.  Hopefully it will leave; when I check in 15-20 minutes, maybe it will have moved on.  I don’t know how it got in the yard to begin with.

Cat Brules

This is Billboard.
Most woods kitties have their stripe down their spine.
This one striped his side, like maybe he's selling advertising space.
We walk an hourly firewatch at work, and believe thee me, I look through the window before setting foot outside ... we can't spray for anything (except wasps) so we have grubs enough the skunkies love our workplace!

Billboard!.jpg

I was installing equipment at a manufacturing plant years ago and was warned about some skunks on one of the access roads. The next day one of the guards said he grabbed one with a snake stick and said, "Would you believe I had to burn my clothes?"

Hey LYNN,

That ain't a Skunk.    Its an Alien.

I saw it in a movie once.

Here is how you can tell its an Alien:   It often waits too long to initiate its 'Deflective Shields' and it has a low tolerance

to pain, induced by a small projectile..... :D

NOTE:  when Skunks are seen in daylight, there is a high probability that its sick..... and could be rabid.

By nature, they are nocturnal and normally only come out at night.

..........Widder

Many moons ago I was on a backpacking trip in Big Bend. Me and a buddy were sleeping in a picnic area the night before we hiked out. In the wee hours I heard Gary going PSSSST PSSSSST! I asked him if he sprung a leak and he softly replied "There's a SKUNK in my face!" Seems he woke up nose to nose with it. Thankfully the skunk did not attack and moved on!

JHC

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Awe C’mon Cat...he’s just looking for love. :D

D5A3ADA5-58F9-4E24-84A4-C929F66F4E76.gif.8d1ba5b2c267c940dd9bec527860128c.gif

Pepe Le Pew!  I forgot about him!

I always liked him!  :)

The skunk here at my place hung around for a while and moved on, thank goodness.  

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey LYNN,

That ain't a Skunk.    Its an Alien.

I saw it in a movie once.

Here is how you can tell its an Alien:   It often waits too long to initiate its 'Deflective Shields' and it has a low tolerance

to pain, induced by a small projectile..... :D

NOTE:  when Skunks are seen in daylight, there is a high probability that its sick..... and could be rabid.

By nature, they are nocturnal and normally only come out at night.

..........Widder

Widder, I found this on the Humane Society site. "Even though skunks are mostly active at night, they sometimes look for food by day—particularly in the spring, when they have young and may be extra hungry. Don't be concerned if you see an adult skunk in the daytime unless they are also showing abnormal behaviors: Limb paralysis."

We had two fighting one night near the house. Peeuuu! One of them crawled under the shed to die. Peeuuu! Hubby fixed it so they could not get under there.

Several years ago, while walking my dog, I saw one during the day. It saw us and crawled in the drain pipe under the driveway. We had no problems with it. We think it had babies in the pipe.

I try to eradicate them whenever I can. They eat ground nesting bird eggs and I like my turkies and partidges. I saw a momma and five young ones in a drain pipe thanks to my beagle. Shot all six. A couple hours later my boy and I saw six more in the same place. Got all six. This was just down the road from the cabin and downwind. Of course the wind changed and the scent of twelve little stinkers blew right to the girls at the cabin. Momma was not happy...

A few years ago there was a skunk that seemed to always be foraging around the back of my house up here on the ranch.  Probably looking for mice (and the big spiders that live back there), because that year I didn’t see any mice outside around the place and I only caught 2 or 3 in the traps I set back there.  I didn’t bother the skunk, and after a while, it just ignored me and didn’t pay any attention to me anymore.  I know it had to be living through the fence and across the road. It looked pretty skinny, so I guess it had a litter over there.  After a month or so it didn’t come back, so I guess the litter was raised and gone.  They’re peaceful and reclusive, and don’t bother anything.

Cat Brules

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

It’s Midnight here in California, on the Central Coast.

Since I have difficulty sleeping, I decided to go out on the porch In the cool air to try to relax a bit.  I opened the door and there was a skunk out there.  It took me a nanosecond to slam the door.  Good grief, there’s nothing here for it to scavenge.  Hopefully it will leave; when I check in 15-20 minutes, maybe it will have moved on.  I don’t know how it got in the yard to begin with.

Cat Brules

They love the bugs that are drawn to your porch and yard lights.

5 hours ago, Go West said:

I was installing equipment at a manufacturing plant years ago and was warned about some skunks on one of the access roads. The next day one of the guards said he grabbed one with a snake stick and said, "Would you believe I had to burn my clothes?"

Yes, yes, I would.

Somebody ran over one on US 27 just south of Pine Mountain several months ago. 

It took over 2 months of rain to wash the stink off the asphalt at that spot.  For the first two or three weeks, you held your breath driving by the spot.

When we first built our home and moved in, there were lots of skunks. We have 6 acres and it is pretty countryfied. My neighbor was complaining about the skunks and I said I have a live trap, why don't you trap them and get rid of them. Throw them in my pond while they are in the trap and toss the remains in the trash. A couple of months later he returned the trap. Things were a lot better. I asked him how many he trapped....he said 19. I asked him what he did with them. He said "I can't kill them, so I turned them loose". I asked him where......he said "In the city park". I almost split a seam laughing as the local paper was reporting how there was an outbreak of skunks in town! :lol:

That is hilarious!  :lol:

:D   :P

Skunk

I worked in the Engineering Dept. of an Electric Utility in southern New York. We had hydro electric facilities near the NY-PA border with the attendant watershed and forest lands. The Co owned an old former hunting lodge that was used as a conference center for employee continuing education. One of our Dept. members was a native born Italian fellow named Marcello. The Engineering Dept. had a two day conference at the lodge and in the late afternoon a couple of us decided to take a stroll along the Jeep roads to settle our supper. Marcello came along. As we were strolling through the woods Marcello asked if we needed to be worried about bears. I said “No, we make enough noise that bears would most likely avoid us. What you have to be worried about,” says I, “is skunks.” Well Marcello says, “What’s a skunk?” None of the other Engineers could believe Marcello didn’t know what a skunk was. So I explained that a skunk was a cat sized animal with black fur and a big white stripe down his back, and the big danger was his spray. Of course Marcello thought I was pulling his leg, even though all of the other men assured him I was serious.

As we walked along it became dusk and vision was restricted to mostly black and gray. The return trip from our walk meandered along a grass air field cut into the forest for Company Executives to land their small planes when using the lodge on weekends. There were several clumps of tall grass and small evergreens growing along the edge of the field that appeared as gray lumps. I was in the lead when one of those lumps moved. I stopped everyone an said there it is a skunk. Marcello came forward to see what I was talking about. Fortunately I stopped him from moving to fast and we waited for the lump to wander off. The lingering aroma arrived where we waited and Marcello said, “Oh, I guess you weren’t kidding me.”

After that every year Engineering went up to the lodge I would ask, “Hey Marcello, want to go for a skunk walk?”
He never did!!

CJ

17 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

My vet told me the rabies virus can live up to 7 years in a skunk. 

In that case, It’s a good thing rabies-infected skunks cannot transmit rabies in their odorous spray.  :mellow:  

Cat Brules

43 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

My vet told me the rabies virus can live up to 7 years in a skunk. 

The following is from the American Humane Society: "The quarantine is set at 10 days because a rabies-infected animal can only transmit the disease after clinical signs have developed AND once these signs have developed, the animal will die within 10 days"

Skunks can be very useful in this time of Social Distancing.

A case in point:

IMG_7454(1) (1).jpg

8 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Skunks make better companions than Democrats ....

Jabez Cowboy

Ain’t THAT the GD truth!

Cat Brules

Archived