SASS Wire Forum

Computer help

For openers, try:

Restart.

Reboot.

Shutdown, Power down everything. Power up and restart.

If that does not solve it...

- What OS version?

- Laptop or desktop machine?

- Apple monitor or 3rd party?

I don’t know much about Mac but try this:

FIRST BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA TO A SEPARATE AREA ON A REMOTE HARD DRIVE

- Make sure your battery is fully charged IF you have a battery-powered device.

- Perform an orderly shutdown by backing out of everything and telling the computer to shut Itself down.
- if you are using a battery powered computer remove the battery.

- Wait 1/2 hour, and reinsert the battery.

- Plug the computer into AC power

- NOW...push the START button, AND

- QUICKLY hold down the “Command” and the “R” buttons at the same time, and keep holding them down until the computer completely reboots.  
(See if that fixed the problem.).  

If that doesn’t work, personally, I’d take it to a shop.  BUT, maybe someone else on the Wire can help if the above doesn’t help.

(I don’t think you are, but...) If you’re using a separate monitor, that might be the problem.  If that’s the case, see if the computer screen exhibits the same problem.

I had to use a MAC on one project I worked on and had to do the above two separate times at that project to fix system glitches,

Remember to back up everything first.

I hope this helps.

Cat Brules

I use Windows operating system and there is a recovery setting called backup and recovery. I can pick a previous date and change all the settings to that date. 1 day, 5 days or whatever. The computer reverts to that  date and recovers the settings for that day.

Try putting the cursor/arrow on the very top margin of the page you are looking at and see if you can click and drag the page to a new position.

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I don’t know much about Mac but try this:

FIRST BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA TO A SEPARATE AREA ON A REMOTE HARD DRIVE

- Make sure your battery is fully charged IF you have a battery-powered device.

- Perform an orderly shutdown by backing out of everything and telling the computer to shut Itself down.
- if you are using a battery powered computer remove the battery.

- Wait 1/2 hour, and reinsert the battery.

- Plug the computer into AC power

- NOW...push the START button, AND

- QUICKLY hold down the “Command” and the “R” buttons at the same time, and keep holding them down until the computer completely reboots.  
(See if that fixed the problem.).  

If that doesn’t work, personally, I’d take it to a shop.  BUT, maybe someone else on the Wire can help if the above doesn’t help.

(I don’t think you are, but...) If you’re using a separate monitor, that might be the problem.  If that’s the case, see if the computer screen exhibits the same problem.

I had to use a MAC on one project I worked on and had to do the above two separate times at that project to fix system glitches,

Remember to back up everything first.

I hope this helps.

Cat Brules

Well, I've pretty much tried everything but taking it to a shop.  The nearest Apple store is in Phoenix and I'll buy a new computer before I drive down there to that cesspool almost 200 miles round trip and probably back again, because they never, ever fixed anything in anything less that two days and sometimes longer.

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Try putting the cursor/arrow on the very top margin of the page you are looking at and see if you can click and drag the page to a new position.

Well, I'll be dipped.  That worked.  Thanks, and I owe you one.

Excellent!  Very simple, too!

CB

14 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Tell me what tubes are in the back and I will send them to you. You can try swapping them out. :lol:

tvtubes.thumb.jpg.d9c9d97256109fe51bd28c0ab1f77ea6.jpg

Back when I was a kid our television picture shrunk one day then was gone the next time it was turned on. I pulled all of the tubes from the back (Yes I marked the chassis what tube was where). I took them down to the local Rexall drug store where there was a tube tester and began testing them. After testing a few a guy came up to me and asked what the problem was. I described the symptom and he said to try a Such and such number tube something like 6NY. I found the tube he mentioned and tried it. It failed. I asked him if he was a TV repairman and he said no he was a plumber but the same thing happened to him a week before. I went home put all the tubes back and we had TV again.

Archived