SASS Wire Forum

Model '97 question.

The Verdigris Kid

I have a chance to pick up a nice looking Winchester 97, however it has a full length barrel with what looks to be an Poly-Choke on it.

Would this shotgun be legal to use in SASS?

Many cut the barrel down to 20" so I don't see a problem.

Not legal in Wild Bunch part of SASS with the polychoke on it.   That choke might also be in violation of SASS Cowboy rules by being a visible external modification, as I don't believe Winchester put on PolyChokes at the factory.   As Cholla mentioned, have barrel trimmed to a shorter length - it will look better and for our matches, shoot better too.  Shouldn't cost more than $100 to have it done.

Good luck, GJ

Well, if you consider that any gun used for Cowboy shooting will look pretty worn after a year, I'm not sure why you are concerned about using a pretty gun that will be worn in a year.   If you can get it for a good price, and it works, that is all I want.  

A poly-choked shotgun is not a collectable to almost anyone.   A Cutts Compensator is a collector's item to a few shooters, though (mainly Skeet shooters).

Good luck, GJ

PLUS ONE too Garrison Joe.

Poly Choke is NOT legal for SASS nor WB.  If you elect to cut the barrel yourself .... DO   NOT   USE   A   PIPE CUTTER!! 

One reason for not using a pipe cutter, if the barrel sides are not parallel, the cutter will migrate toward the smaller end leaving a nasty mess that will have to be done in some other fashion. Yes, I have a 20 ga barrel that looks like some one tried to thread about 3" of the barrel.

You can use a pipe cutter - wrap tape (masking tape, electrical tape, duck tape) around the forward part of the barrel (the narrower part) above where you want to make the cut.  Do that until you have built up that narrow part to where it is the same dimension as the broader part and, with part of your pipe cutter resting on that taped section, you can cut a relatively straight line.  At least as straight as I was ever able to manage a hacksaw cut.  Then with a little filing, a little round filing around the barrel to make it look nicer, and a little touch up bluing it should look real good.   Oh, good luck with the bluing on the steel of a '97.

Careful with a pipe cutter - it bends the barrel wall in at the cut to produce a false (and inaccurate) mini choke.   Simple to find a gunsmith who will cut off in a lathe and deburr the muzzle and even install a new bead.

Good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Careful with a pipe cutter - it bends the barrel wall in at the cut to produce a false (and inaccurate) mini choke.   Simple to find a gunsmith who will cut off in a lathe and deburr the muzzle and even install a new bead.

Good luck, GJ

Surre!

Do it the easy way!  :D:D:D

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

This times ten. I have cut enough hard pipe and tubing to verify it. If the cutting wheel is dull, it can close the ID to almost half. Any use of a pipe cutter requires reaming the inside of the pipe so it doesn't sound like a great idea for a shotgun.

Archived