SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse for Coworker

I just got word that a friend I work with Bobby will have spinal surgery this coming Friday June 5th. He has two lower discs that are completely blocking the nerve canal and bending the nerve bundle. The Doctor is going to trim the discs where they contact the nerve bundle so there is no more interfering with each other. The first doctor wanted to fuse the two disc but the second doctor said that would be a last resort. He goes on at 7:30 am Texas time and is not supposed to stay overnight after it is done. I would certainly appreciate any prayers and good thoughts for Bobby's surgery and recovery.

Scout

I had a fusion in about 1976 or so. Have about 3 bad days a year now instead of constant pain. Had a great neurosurgeon.

Best wishes for your friend.

5 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I just got word that a friend I work with Bobby will have spinal surgery this coming Friday June 5th. He has two lower discs that are completely blocking the nerve canal and bending the nerve bundle. The Doctor is going to trim the discs where they contact the nerve bundle so there is no more interfering with each other. The first doctor wanted to fuse the two disc but the second doctor said that would be a last resort. He goes on at 7:30 am Texas time and is not supposed to stay overnight after it is done. I would certainly appreciate any prayers and good thoughts for Bobby's surgery and recovery.

Scout

Decent of you. 

My prayers for your pard, Bobby and for his family.  And, to you and yours, for your goodness and concern.  My prayers also go up for the MD’s, including the anesthesiologist, and the surgical nurses, to guide them.  

Hospital stay is likely to be 5 to 10 days, depending on the surgeon’s opinion.
Recovery (healing and diminishing pain) could be several weeks to several months.  Post-surgical pain will be moderate to severe for a several weeks at least.  He should expect to be on low-dose pain killers for a week or two.  He will also likely be in bed at home for a week, minimum.  He may also require at-home checkup visits from nurses and visits from physical therapists.  He will also need emotional/psychological support from his friends and family.

If what I just predicted turns out to be “overkill,” then good for Bobby. I don’t mean to alarm anyone.

These neurosurgeons know what they’re doing.  If they have to go in through his abdomen, it will be much more complicated than if they go in through his back.  But, they may even be able to do this surgery by a “procedure,” through the back, using a fluoroscope and “tubes” (or “cannulas”) inserting instruments through them..  If so, this will be (In comparison) simpler to “invasive” (opening him up) surgery.

Let us all pray for a normal, unremarkable surgery and a speedy recovery for Bobby.

Cat Brules

Prayers for Bobby and for the Doctor. 

Prayers on the way up for Bobby's surgery and complete recovery.

Archived