SASS Wire Forum

Query

Would you walk around barefoot or sunbathe on the grass at a dog park?

Watching three apartment dwellers over on the grass at the dog park across the parking lot. They normally congregate for sunbathing on the other side of the fence on the grass but today is lawn maintenance day and there’s a big zero-turn mower parked over there. I’d rather sit on the sidewalk than where they went. Now the dog park looks clean because everybody religiously picks up after their pets. But you can’t pick up urine, pinworms, or bacteria in a plastic bag. 
And your Covid mask won’t help. :D (not that anyone wears one around here)

We were in Sedona for the weekend and on Sunday morning my SIL took us out for breakfast at a nice golf resort. We sat out on the patio with a beautiful view over part of the golf course. While we were ther I observed many dog walkers and I would estimate that 1/3rd of them didn’t pick up after their dog. So my answer would be a big NO.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

But you can’t pick up urine, pinworms, or bacteria in a plastic bag. 
And your Covid mask won’t help. :D (not that anyone wears one around here)

I apologize for being picky, but people get pinworms from other people, not pets.  Pets do not carry pinworms.  If little Johnny has pinworms, he got them from one of his playmates.

Now, hookworms are a different story.  Well cared-for pets rarely have hookworms, but dogs particularly are hosts for hookworms, and strays spread hookworm larvae around wherever they defecate.  People can become infected with hookworm larvae in the soil by walking barefoot in areas where dogs defecate.  The Rockefeller Foundation helped reduce hookworm disease in humans in the early 1900s.  Encouraging poor folks in the warm southern states to just wear shoes was an important control measure.  And allowing your pet dog to roam where other dogs defecate puts your pet at risk as well.

https://rockfound.rockarch.org/eradicating-hookworm

So, you are correct; walking barefoot wherever dogs defecate is not a good idea.

No, I sure wouldn’t go in a dog park barefoot or to sunbathe.

Theres a dog park in the Village nearby, that is set up with picnic tables and barbecue pits.  It is full-up with people in the summer.  I get queazy when I drive by there in the summer.

Cat Brules

Archived