SASS Wire Forum

Calif. SASS Member Question

John Kloehr

Question for California SASS shooters... At one time I lived there long before I heard of SASS.

How do you legally obtain CAS guns, specifically the revolvers? I'm sure these are not on the approved roster of firearms.

Purely academic question since I no longer live there, just curious.

Single actions don’t have to be on the approved list.

What Yul said. Neither are the rifles or the shotguns. When it comes to sass, California is actually easier to obtain the needed guns than half a dozen other states. Which is a good thing since sass was started here 

All the above are accurate.

PLUS, if you want to buy a percussion  revolver (aka “cap and ball”, aka “cap gun”), call up the supplier, order and pay for it and it will be shipped to your home.

Cat Brules

Don't I remember the members of the WB actually going to the California state house and arguing about our cowboy guns? I think this was way back when SASS was actually in California.

Anyone remember? Refresh my memory please.

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Don't I remember the members of the WB actually going to the California state house and arguing about our cowboy guns? I think this was way back when SASS was actually in California.

Anyone remember? Refresh my memory please.

Yes, I believe they did something like that. I don't recall who it was they lobbied, the legislature, DOJ, governor, or whomever.  A Colt style single action would never pass the drop test, and they argued that outlawing an iconic gun would be wrong.  They were criticized for it by some in the 2A community for taking a, "Do what you want to those guys, but leave us alone" approach.  I didn't see it that way, but some did.  

Yes.  Absolutely!

While still headquartered in California, SASS leadership pretty much led the fight in Sacramento to exempt single action revolvers from the dreaded "list."

Fortunately, the capons (as Subdeacon Joe so elegantly dubbed them!) in Sacramento have not seen fit to stomp on this "loophole."  But be vigilant!!

Unless CA law has changed recently, only lever action rifles and 22 rimfire rifles with fixed magazines are exempt from the 10 round maximum capacity limit.

(Don't tell the CADOJ that another SASS legal rifle that can hold more than 10 rounds is still being sold in CA!) :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Yes, I believe they did something like that. I don't recall who it was they lobbied, the legislature, DOJ, governor, or whomever.  A Colt style single action would never pass the drop test, and they argued that outlawing an iconic gun would be wrong.  They were criticized for it by some in the 2A community for taking a, "Do what you want to those guys, but leave us alone" approach.  I didn't see it that way, but some did.  

Wasn’t General U.S. Grant  (The General) heavily involved in this because of him owning EMF at the time? Judge Roy Bean (The Judge) may also have played a part in getting them exempted.

11 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Wasn’t General U.S. Grant  (The General) heavily involved in this because of him owning EMF at the time? Judge Roy Bean (The Judge) may also have played a part in getting them exempted.

I'm not sure, but I think so.  Not being able to sell Colt clones in California would have devastated EMF.  SASS growth was booming at the time.  

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

PLUS, if you want to buy a percussion  revolver (aka “cap and ball”, aka “cap gun”), call up the supplier, order and pay for it and it will be shipped to your home.

Cat Brules

That all depends on city regs.

Can't do it in LA City and several others.

OLG 

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Unless CA law has changed recently, only lever action rifles and 22 rimfire rifles with fixed magazines are exempt from the 10 round maximum capacity limit.

(Don't tell the CADOJ that another SASS legal rifle that can hold more than 10 rounds is still being sold in CA!) :ph34r:

I bought 1873 with 24" barrel just to have 15 round mag in CA ... fun to tell people my mag cost $1500  oh well

12 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

You live in California...and you don't know the CA laws...fascinating.

Folks, check your local City restrictions before you believe ANYTHING on the Wire.

Phantom

Archived