SASS Wire Forum

Powder Scales

I use a digital scale to weigh my cast long range bullets. And to weigh my black powder. I had been using a Lyman for years. It started acting up so I tossed it and bought a new Lyman, same model. When you lift the powder off the scale it's supposed to go to zero. Sometimes it stops at .3 grains and then finally resets. The I started checking load weights after I had dropped them into the 45-70 cases. The weights were spot on or off by .2 of grain +/-.  The scale accidentally flew out of my hand onto the garage floor and broke!

So I'm in the market for a good reliable powder scale.

Thoughts.

Ike

I've got a digital scale but like yours sometimes it seems to drift.  I mostly use a mechanical beam powder scale like this one.

Kajun

Buy a jeweler's scale off Amazon. Way more accurate than any dedicated powder scale Costs 1/4th the price and more reliable.

Typical powder scale accuracy is +/- 0.1 grains. My jewelers scales have an accuracy of  +/- 0.05 grains.

I have this one. Price has doubled since I bought it but there are others just as good for less money. 

It is sensitive enough that I have to turn off the AC unit or the air currents will effect the readings.  

Personally.......

I would choose a scale that first of all, is a known name brand, quality scale.

Second, I would chose one that has a low, to very low maximum capacity.

0-1000 grain capacity is too broad of a range to give repeated, accurate results, especially on the lower end.

I wouldn’t trust an electronic scale that drifts.

Car Brules

So I'm in the market for a good reliable powder scale

I bought 3 just in case they are discontinued. Have been using only one going on 5 years now

https://www.dx.com/p/kl-50-high-precision-50g-0-001g-mini-electronic-jewelry-scales-0-005ct-2057042.html#.Xta_aBh7luF

50 grams = 771.618 grains scale weight

I have the same one as John Boy.  Works well. I keep it in my pistol reloading room.  I have an old Mettler PM 100 lab scale in my rifle reloading room. Current price about 1K. If it ever dies I will buy another newer one or the Sartorius equivalent.

23 minutes ago, John Boy said:

I bought 3 just in case they are discontinued. Have been using only one going on 5 years now

https://www.dx.com/p/kl-50-high-precision-50g-0-001g-mini-electronic-jewelry-scales-0-005ct-2057042.html#.Xta_aBh7luF

50 grams = 771.618 grains scale weight

I have that one as well. Any time I have any doubt about accuracy I compare it with the one I posted above.

48 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

I have the same one as John Boy.  Works well. I keep it in my pistol reloading room.  I have an old Mettler PM 100 lab scale in my rifle reloading room. Current price about 1K. If it ever dies I will buy another newer one or the Sartorius equivalent.

So you have seperate rooms for pistol and rifle reloading? What about shotgun?:huh:

Howdy,

The

Smart Weigh Premium High Precision Digital Milligram

from Amazon states 0.001 gram.  I find that a bit hard to believe.  There are scales that cost $100+ that state 0.002 grams

for $500 you can get 0.0001 gram.  All these $$$ scales have inclosed pans.

I agree with comment above concerning air flow.  A slight wave of my hand caused my Cabelas scale (0.1 grain = 0.006 grams) to jump all around.  I find it more accurate than precise, which causes me to reset the "tare" often and calibrate every usage.  I believe this is due to slight air currents.

In surfing I like the 

U.S. Solid 0.001g 1mg Digital Analytical Balance Precision Scale for Laboratories (100x1mg) 110-220 VAC

-wylie

40 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Goody, yes, separate room for SG. ;)In 3 different buildings

My goodness. "Step out back to my reloading compound."

42 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'm weighing bullets that are 535 grains. The jeweler ones appear to only go to 50 grains?

It weighs up to 50 grams or 771.6 grains

+1 on the jeweler’s scale.   Had 3 different Lyman scales go bad during the warranty period so switched to a jeweler’s scale from Amazon and never looked back.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESHDGOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a friend that worked for the police.

He gave several of us scales confiscated from drug dealers.  It works well, but I mainly use an old balance beam scale I bought used. 

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I had a friend that worked for the police.

He gave several of us scales confiscated from drug dealers.  It works well, but I mainly use an old balance beam scale I bought used. 

Hmmm, I wondered why some of your rounds smelled funny the last time we shot together.  Musta been some remnants left of one of them thar confiscated scales! :D

Kajun

28 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

I've used a RCBS digital for years and it's been awful reliable.

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

RFI from fluorescent lights will really mess with digital scale readings1

Wrap the power supply cord about 1ft from the scale, around a couple of very strong magnets. 

OLG 

If I had to do that I would definitely switch brand to RCBS.

Been used in front of breezy open windows, in humid or air conditioning, it's always under fluorescent lightning.......

But we all have our favorite brands.

1 hour ago, Fence Cutter said:

If I had to do that I would definitely switch brand to RCBS.

Been used in front of breezy open windows, in humid or air conditioning, it's always under fluorescent lightning.......

But we all have our favorite brands.

All brands are affected by RFI.

Brand really doesn't make any difference.

OLG 

I bit the bullet and bought one of these:  https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/10/06/new-autotrickler-v3-post-announcement-updates-and-improvements/

I will never ever go back to el-cheapo reloading scales.  They are nothing but problems.  I have worn several and will never buy another one.

39 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Do the jewelers scales have a mode for grains, or are they grams only?

Most weight in grams, ounces, carats, troy ounces, penny weight and grains.

You might check out Frankfort Arsenal scales. I bought one several years ago on e-bay and it has served well. When we shot long range we threw a charge from a Lyman #55 about a grain or so less than the desired weight. With the charge on the Frankfort Arsenal scale we used a trickle charger to bump up to the desired weight.

You can also use the scale to weigh bullets you have cast to group by grain weight (.2 - .5? variance) and to find voids in the bullet.

Lucky

I bought a beam balance scale when I started reloading. RCBS kit . It was like the Lee kit you get now , it had everything. I used the scale for about 20-25 years. Walking through a flea market I saw a Redding scale for $5.00 , bought it , took it home. Didn't work properly sent it to Redding, they repaired it , worked fine . I 've got a spare, fine. Ahead about 10+ yrs, digital craze ,,,, digital scale. I'm trying to set it up, can't get it to do right. Sometimes it will balance, sometimes it won't. I fiddle around, can't figure it out. Took me a while to figure out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was " breathing" on it ,,,,,,, XXX ! That's it ,,,,, balance beams only. 1-3/10's of a grain just isn't that much of a problem to me. Just my view.

YMMV,

Isom

Archived