SASS Wire Forum

Officer Decks Woman

So what... protestors don't want equality?

I saw TRUE equality at work in that clip.

Or maybe I saw something crazy - a strong MAN punching a weaker WOMAN

...nah - I'd never be sold bold as to assume someones gender based on a few seconds of video.

GREAT!!!   :wub:

Not good. There’s no way you come out smelling like a rose after that. 

That’s a case of “You bought and paid for that, lady!”

Here’s the deal. Speaking from the point of view of a former instructor and commander. There were enough officers there to take her down, even though she was admittedly a thick girl. Note how she hit the pavement. That can result in a serious head injury. Even death from a skull fracture. It’s happened before.
Not a problem in a deadly force encounter. But this wasn’t that.
Punching rather than grabbing a suspect with proper holds and subduing them never looks good and in generally not within department guidelines of using the minimal force necessary. 
Sure we’d all like to giver her a dose of her own medicine. But that’s not what policing is about. It never looks good on camera and can inflame a crowd of onlookers instantly.

The cop that hit HER should be fired.
This isn’t a training issue at all....it goes directly to the officer’s mentality.  He’s not intelligent enough or stable enough to be suited to be a police officer.

Cat Brules

Take down! BAM!  Looks to me, an objective civilian, that she had it coming. Backup officer was merely protecting primary officer. Does not appear to be any racial motive involved either.  ;) Officers merely did what they had to do to control the overly aggressive and verbally abusive and physically threatening antagonist/criminally behaving moron.

I say let's vote that backup officer into the US Senate.

:D

The title of this thread is misleading. The title of this thread could easily read "Officer protects Officer during violent physical attack on another Officer.

B)

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

This isn’t a training issue at all....it goes directly to the officer’s mentality.  He’s not intelligent enough or stable enough to be suited to be a police officer.

Cat Brules

He was wrong as I stated. I won’t go so far as to say he should be fired. I don’t know his level of training or his experience or history of complaints if any. If the department is okay with it then they need a change of leadership and policies.

He should probably be disciplined and given remedial training. And he can always be sued.

If we fired every cop who over or incorrectly reacted to a stressful situation we’d run real short on cops.

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

He was wrong as I stated. I won’t go so far as to say he should be fired. I don’t know his level of training or his experience or history of complaints if any. If the department is okay with it then they need a change of leadership and policies.

He should probably be disciplined and given remedial training. And he can always be sued.

If we fired every cop who over or incorrectly reacted to a stressful situation we’d run real short on cops.

My first instinct was always to protect my partner. Their safety came even before my own

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

My first instinct was always to protect my partner. Their safety came even before my own

Not arguing with that. Just the tactic.

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Cat Brules

BULL!

She raised her head up a couple of times while laying there looking for the cameras I guess. Police are supposed to listen when someone says "I can't breath".  How long before all the people holding signs that say "I can't breath" sue because they weren't administered a tracheotomy ? Better get on it.

7 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

’m sure there’s more to the story than this clip,

I saw enough to make me want to punch her out.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Watch the body cam. Little bit different.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQ0oDxbQPs&t=0s

Not much. Fall on the ground and pitch a fit then grab your boobs doesn't excuse punching a cop...twice.

JMHO

JHC

8 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

She punched a police officer not once but twice the officer reacted to protect his partner 

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bob, I just don’t see it as a training issue. I don’t think you can train meanness out of someone.  What he did showed meanness and a lack of respect for human life, in my opinion.  

The officer could see that his partner was not Injured.  He and another officer could have controlled her rather than causing her to fall, dazed/half-conscious to the concrete.  

I just don’t believe you can train that kind of behavior out of someone.  That’s why I said they should let him go.  

Bob, please understand, I don’t support the woman’s actions in hitting the officer, even though there was very likely a lifetime of pent-up anger venting out of her and this was her chance to let it out.  I can empathize with that, but I can’t support her actions.  These guys knew that.  The officer didn’t have to hit her in the manner he did, endangering her further; they could have controlled her by non- vicious, retaliatory means.  Police don’t get paid to emotionally react like that.

At the same time, to start with, the officers were walking in the street, likely confusing the woman, and they knew it.  It seems she tried to go back The way she came by making a wide U-turn in the empty intersection, but the one officer unnecessarily and dangerously pulled his weapon, aimed it at her and told her to stop, which she did.  She was frightened and angry.  She warned them not to touch her.  They knew that, but made no attempt to talk her down, but instead intimidating and provoking her so they could justify arresting her.  The whole incident was virtually choreographed, in my view.  They moved in, created a situation and worked it.  

Jim

3 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Not much. Fall on the ground and pitch a fit then grab your boobs doesn't excuse punching a cop...twice.

JMHO

JHC

You misunderstand me.

The original footage showed her hitting the cop twice, and then the second cop punching her out and her lying unconscious in the street.

The body cam shows her attempting to hit the cop with her car, hitting him twice with her fist, then after the second cock COP hits her, lying in the street and pretending to be unconscious. When he went to put the cuffs on her, her right arm was underneath her head. If she had been unconscious, when he pulled her arm back to put the cuffs on her head would have bounced off the pavement. Instead she gently lowered it to the street.

"Poor abused protester" was faking it for the cameras that she knew would be recording.

I give the cop credit because he had to be at least 2 weight classes below that woman.

8 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Bob, I just don’t see it as a training issue. I don’t think you can train meanness out of someone.  What he did showed meanness and a lack of respect for human life, in my opinion.  

The officer could see that his partner was not Injured.  He and another officer could have controlled her rather than causing her to fall, dazed/half-conscious to the concrete.  

I just don’t believe you can train that kind of behavior out of someone.  That’s why I said they should let him go.  

Bob, please understand, I don’t support the woman’s actions in hitting the officer, even though there was very likely a lifetime of pent-up anger venting out of her and this was her chance to let it out.  I can empathize with that, but I can’t support her actions.  These guys knew that.  The officer didn’t have to hit her in the manner he did, endangering her further; they could have controlled her by non- vicious, retaliatory means.  Police don’t get paid to emotionally react like that.

At the same time, to start with, the officers were walking in the street, likely confusing the woman, and they knew it.  It seems she tried to go back The way she came by making a wide U-turn in the empty intersection, but the one officer unnecessarily and dangerously pulled his weapon, aimed it at her and told her to stop, which she did.  She was frightened and angry.  She warned them not to touch her.  They knew that, but made no attempt to talk her down, but instead intimidating and provoking her so they could justify arresting her.  The whole incident was virtually choreographed, in my view.  They moved in, created a situation and worked it.  

Jim

Easy to second guess from the comfort of your living room isn’t it 

No win situation for the cops, and she likely knew it.  If they had, instead, tried to restrain her I suspect she would have made it necessary to use 4-6-10 cops to do it.  We all know how that plays for the camera.  Meanwhile it's hard to watch your back or your partner's back.  Soooo many domestic disturbances to back this up.   Anyone who has tried to restrain or handcuff an unwilling person while trying not to hurt them knows it is highly unlikely it can be done alone.  The person will have to first be subdued to acquiesce to the officer's request to be handcuffed.  Additional help, a nightstick, TASER, mace and/or fists will likely be needed.

Simple and obvious solution that so terribly few seem to recognize is:  If you don't fight with the cops you won't get hit/TASED/maced.

Angus

The Officer was from the "hood" and thereby knew how to deescalate an out of control "hood" sister?

Retired cop perspective:  The use of force was absolutely justified, but cops today have different tools available that make the arrest less violent appearing.  For example, my favorite go-to in those situations was the Taser.  Using the Taser causes fewer injuries and the injuries tend to be far less severe.  

I think his chain of command will likely lecture him on a better way to do it, maybe throw some paper at him, and send him back to work.  

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Retired cop perspective:  The use of force was absolutely justified, but cops today have different tools available that make the arrest less violent appearing.  For example, my favorite go-to in those situations was the Taser.  Using the Taser causes fewer injuries and the injuries tend to be far less severe.  

I think his chain of command will likely lecture him on a better way to do it, maybe throw some paper at him, and send him back to work.  

The advent of Tasers and OC spray dramatically reduced the volume of excessive force complaints and lawsuits nationwide. Both are good tools when used appropriately. This would have been a good time.

Well, there's been issues with Tasers too.  Some have claimed that the Taser has caused death.  And of course, OC spray can trigger an ashma attack.  It also gets all over the arresting officers and in the patrol car.  Never fails. 

My personal opinion is, I think it was well documented that this woman was assaulting his partner and had obviously come un-smacked.  The officer was just correcting the deficiency.  No call.

12 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Easy to second guess from the comfort of your living room isn’t it 

Yep.  A case of profiling the cop when the rest of the world is bitching about cops profiling the public.  Seems to be a lot of that taking place recently.....again.

8 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Well, there's been issues with Tasers too.  Some have claimed that the Taser has caused death.  And of course, OC spray can trigger an ashma attack.  It also gets all over the arresting officers and in the patrol car.  Never fails. 

My personal opinion is, I think it was well documented that this woman was assaulting his partner and had obviously come un-smacked.  The officer was just correcting the deficiency.  No call.

Pard, I was a Taser instructor.  In every case of a Taser usage followed by death, the coroner's office has determined the death was caused by a drug-induced condition known as "excited delirium."  Google it.  I've fought a guy (and almost killed him) who was in excited delirium due to using "bath salts," and this is no joke.  But Tasers do NOT kill people.  

Furthermore, OC spray has zero documented cases of causing asthma attacks or other respiratory problems except for the temporary issues it was designed to create. You're thinking of the original Mace from the 1980s, which did, in fact, have some potentially lethal side effects for people with pre-existing conditions.  OC does not...and the burning sensation it causes is WORSE than the original Mace, so it's a win-win.  

Archived