SASS Wire Forum

Firehouse dog? Is it real or mostly a stereotype?

I offered to make cookies or brownies for my local FD this coming Sunday. I was thinking that if there is a firehouse dog, I would include a special extra bag of my dog biscuits.

i know they always have a dog on a fire truck for parades but how often is there a dog in the firehouse?

Many firehouses have a dog!  In one nearby town, there is a really pretty Dalmatian that patrols the grounds.  Dalmatians, by the way, are often better mousers than any cat!! That and the fact that they are extremely good around horses made them a staple in firehouses all over the world!

My male used to celebrate hay cuttings in the neighborhood!!  The farmers would cut hay and the field mice would invade the nearby homes. If you opened the back door, one or more mice would scamper right over your feet to get inside!!!  Ol' Harley caught seven mice one evening just after a hay cutting!!

SO!  The tradition of a firehouse dog is still strong in most locales!!  Fix 'em a few doggy treats!!  The worst that could happen is that they get taken home to family pets!! 

In the era of the horse-drawn pumper, Dalmations were used as a kind of siren to alert pedestrians to the approaching apparatus.  The breed is well -adapted to extended running alongside of a fire wagon, having been  bred by the nobility to run with coaches and on hunts.  Reportedly, the dogs were also used to guard the firemen's belongings at the fire scenes.

Most of these dogs are now gone from the fire service, except for those kept as mascots, or specially trained for search and rescue.

LL

14 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The dogs don’t care but I have dog bone cookie cutters in five sizes, I also use a a cat cookie cutter, for amusement, after I recollect the dough I just use a knife to cut trapezoids.

A fire hydrant cutter would be cool. :)

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Good thinking, they also come in “fire truck”

59217EE3-3FBF-49B2-815F-CA7D3DDC7335.jpeg

Use red food coloring. :)

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Or yellow!

Both.  :lol:

One of my competitor Architects designed a new fire station. In the spec's he put a note, " the contractor shall deliver to the client on 8 week old Dalmation puppy at the conclusion of the project". Last day, turning over the keys. Contractor leads a puppy up and hands the leash to the fire Captain. Everyone laughed. Captain was not amused. Puppy was returned and they asked for a credit back!

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I offered to make cookies or brownies for my local FD this coming Sunday. I was thinking that if there is a firehouse dog, I would include a special extra bag of my dog biscuits.

i know they always have a dog on a fire truck for parades but how often is there a dog in the firehouse?

That's mighty nice of you Marshal. :)

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Use red food coloring. :)

I wonder if dogs can taste it?

Food coloring, supposedly, has no taste. It just changes the color of the food.

But some people (I'm one of them) can taste red. It's bitter.

Dalmatian in the horse drawn era is already covered, ya beat me to it! -- one of our members had Dalmatians at home, and every fire parade, she'd have a spotty dog with each piece of  our apparatus in the parade.

I generally ended up with hair all over my dark blue uniform trousers, so I'd bring a roll of wide masking tape to de-fur the cab and my drawers afterward.

Whichever of her Dalmatians rode with me, ended up spoiled, at least a little bit.

I made sure to bring plenty of doggie cookies.

As I recall, all but one of her pack were cuddle puppies, and somewhere there exists a pic of me, asleep in the shotgun seat of the squad, and her puppy with its muzzle buried in my beard, snoozing as well ... I had an excuse, we had two house fires and three squad runs the night before, I hadn't slept in six and thirty hours, and turned out with the rest of the troops for the parade ...

Archived