SASS Wire Forum

Non CAS Question re red dots. OLG please RSVP

There was a post on AR’s and Ol Lumpy Grits said no red dots if you have astigmatisms!?

I did not want to hi jack that thread so am looking for  an explanation as to why not?

He said an acog with chevron was his go to.

I have said issue  and have red dots on my AR’s and steel guns.  I am looking at An acog and want to know said advantages. 
So if anyone can  contribute what their issues are  I would surely appreciate it.

With so many of us having vision issues thought this might interest others?!

Hope everyone stays safe and secure and healthy thru these trying times!

I guess it depends on how bad your astigmatism is. I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye. But now that I think about it I need to keep the setting (brightness) low or the dot blurs.

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Also has to do with eye dominance. 

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. 

OLG 

That shouldn't matter with a good red dot. I can cover the end of my sight so I can't see thru it, with both eyes open I still see the red dot on the target. The brain picks up the red dot from my right eye, the target from my left and joins them together.

read this, https://www.armsonusa.com/oegconcept.html

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

That shouldn't matter with a good red dot. I can cover the end of my sight so I can't see thru it, with both eyes open I still see the red dot on the target. The brain picks up the red dot from my right eye, the target from my left and joins them together.

read this, https://www.armsonusa.com/oegconcept.html

Makes all the difference in the world when you have astigmatism ;)

That is one of the main reasons for development of the green reticle. 

OLG 

1 hour ago, Chase Randall, SASS #45902 said:

If you suffer from astigmatism as I do, I suggest checking into a prism sight. I run an Vortex Spitfire AR Prism Scope on my AR and love it. There are other manufacturers as well.

I have a Vortex red/green. The green works best for me. The red I’d fine if I drop the brightness level. 

I am going to have to check out a green dot sight.  
Is the green dot sight easier to see in the daylight like a green laser vs a red laser?

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is the green dot sight easier to see in the daylight like a green laser vs a red laser?

Mr Patriot,

I can't speak for others, but my eyes pick up the green dots better in daytime and evenings.

Red dots do seem to blur with me but the greens are seemingly more crisp in appearance.

Mileage varies.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

For me it is.

Even in desert background. 

Love my ACOG :excl:

OLG 

5 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I much prefer a green dot. My Vortex Venom is red and somewhat blurry, even with corrected shooting glasses.

I sent my first Vortex red dot back as the dot was blurry. The called me and asked if I wore corrective lenses. When I said yes they told be that my glasses were causing the dot to appear blurry.

When I got it back if I took my glasses off I got a nice dot. With my glasses on the dot was more of a sunburst.

I need to get one in green and see how it does.

With a standard red dot sight the light for the dot is reflected up to the lens and with astigmatism it will be distorted. With prism type sights, the dot is etched into the lens and illuminated like an illuminated recticle in a scope.

I pick up a green dot much better than red as well.  Don't care for yellow at all, either.

I have astigmatisms but I've never tried to to shoot for groups with a red dot so I've never noticed how perfect (or not) the illuminated dot is.

Both eyes open, I want hits on a 9" plate at 50-75 yards.  That's just me.

If precision is needed, there are other options.

Archived