SASS Wire Forum

New Original Henry 1860 HRA

Rooster Ron Wayne

Good evening Pards .

I sold my beloved Uberti Henry here on the wire with a lot of other stuff.  

As I can no longer compete and stand long enough to get threw a match anymore. 

As soon as I sold my beautiful Henry I had regrets ! 

So I convinced myself to take the plunge and buy a HRA New Original Henry rifle .

With all that now being said .

Us Cowboys just cant leave things alone.

I picked it up today  ,

Come home and disassembled the whole rifle .

It's a very nicely built rifle .

With mostly M.I.M parts .

I wish I still hade my old Uberti  Henry to tell the truth !

Anyways I thought I would show a few pics and let you know. That  whisper lifter springs work just fine in it !

And Uberti hammer spring works also !

It is quite a bit lighter then the HRA hammer spring. 

The Uberti Toggle links are very very close to fitting in it.

Just the one rear pin is slightly larger .

I did not have my micrometer to check it today.

But it's very very close. 

I like to grease everything up with Mobile One Synthetic Grease .

Now We will see how she runs tomorrow. 

I will try to update everyone asap. 

So saith The Rooster. 

PS.

The Uberti is all Machined Parts and a More Authentic Design  

Screenshot_20200511-110513_Photos.jpg

20200601_165018.jpg

20200601_165028.jpg

20200601_165048.jpg

20200601_224754.jpg

20200601_224638.jpg

20200601_223225.jpg

20200601_223252.jpg

20200601_223234.jpg

Like you I have done to much to this old body to make it threw a match, and I have an 1860 Henry, made by Henry 

I also have a Grandson who's middle name is Henry, guess who is going to end up with  this gun

I have to tell this story of the 1st time he saw the Henry.

He was about 4 and standing beside me as I opened the safe one day, he saw the Henry, reached in and touched it, looked up at me an said mine

Now my other Grandson's middle name is Harly

Rooster, like you I feel that my last match was probably shot a couple of years back BUT alas I find myself having a terrible problem coming to terms with selling all my old favorites and my old Uberti Henry was at the top with a few select cap and ball revolvers.  Sadly I fear that my cowboy guns would not mean much to my family.  I now rarely even try to make the trek upstairs to cuddle those that left up there anymore.  Even with this said I still have to fight off the temptation to order a Henry in 45 Colt and add a short carrier to it for the .45CS brass AND THEN there is still that dream 12ga hammered coach gun!   

How exactly is the Uberti more authentic than the new Henry?

I just think it is wonderful that someone on our shores has taken on the task of making a piece of history.  For that reason alone I have created a stash fund to buy one of these US made Henry rifles.  A 44-40 would compliment my SAA's seven days a week. The rifles that I have seen are beautiful.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Exactly, as Henry stated in their initial advertising that they disassembled an original and copied it.  Although they had to lengthen the carrier & mortise to accomodate the .44-40 vs the 44 Flat.

7 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

First of all the Original Henry has Two screws on the tang too hold the Butt stock on and in place. 

So does Uberti. 

The Original henry is all Machined parts .

So does the Uberti .

The Original Henery has very crisp lines on the barrel flats .

So does the Uberti. 

Uberti has been making the Henry for so long they just got it right ! 

Short of my New Original Henry Sayin Henry Repeating Arms Bayonne NJ USA on the barrel. 

Looks , Feel , Function,  Smoothness are all better IMHO on the Uberti. 

I have been inside and out of both guns and I tell you and everyone interested .

That The Uberti is a Better Built More Athletic Rifle the the HRA New Original Henry .

Dont get me wrong .

This is a beautiful rifle .

And I'm happy with it .

But if I had both Rifles in my hands and on my work bench at the same time .

I would have kept my Uberti and saved my money and Not bought the HRA New Original Henry. 

The Grass is Not Always Greener on The Other Side of The Fence  ! 

So saith The Rooster. 

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Exactly, as Henry stated in their initial advertising that they disassembled an original and copied it.  Although they had to lengthen the carrier & mortise to accomodate the .44-40 vs the 44 Flat.

Look at the rifle in full that they copied and look at a Uberti. 

A Uberti is a perfect copy .

The HRA Original Henry in a Very Very Pretty Clone , But Not Exactly as good of a clone as a Uberti. 

Just Sayin. 

Not hating on my new rifle .

I just know after owning both .

The Uberti is More Original and a better built rifle .

Update .

I had to go back too the HRA hammer spring .

The Uberti hammer spring would Not set off the rounds in The New Original Henry. 

She is a tack driver for sure ! 

I'm liking it More and More !

Rooster 

Well, we all will get to where you are one day.  Unless we (or my widow) need the money, I hope to be able to pass all of my guns down to family and friends who will want them, and not turn them into cash.

2 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Well, we all will get to where you are one day.  Unless we (or my widow) need the money, I hope to be able to pass all of my guns down to family and friends who will want them, and not turn them into cash.

I thought I turned my Uberti Henry in too a better Henry .

But I was wrong .

Just Sayin lol 

A friend of mine in Idaho has a real original Henry in .44 rimfire and a case of 200 rounds of ammo in an unopened case that I guess is worth much more than the rifle.

I always admired his Henry.....wonder what it would take to have a manufacturer make a run of 44 rimfire? Sort of like they have done on the old 5mm rimfire.

With today's technology it can't be that difficult..

Bugler

10 hours ago, Bugler said:

A friend of mine in Idaho has a real original Henry in .44 rimfire and a case of 200 rounds of ammo in an unopened case that I guess is worth much more than the rifle.

I always admired his Henry.....wonder what it would take to have a manufacturer make a run of 44 rimfire? Sort of like they have done on the old 5mm rimfire.

With today's technology it can't be that difficult..

Bugler

I think it was Val Forgett  dont remember if this is  how to spell his name.

He did make Henry Flat rim fire at one time .

When He made the First True  Henry 1860 Copy.

( Made in America too )

He then redesigned it in too a Center fire rifle 44/40

This was before he sold it all to Uberti .

Val and Uberti they never did it again. 

They have been asked many times 

Just a Beautiful pic of some USA Roll Mark's. 

20200603_143747.jpg

Here is a very good review of both USA & Italian Built Henry 1860's 

I’m having a hard time understand the direction of this thread. The HRA Henry is great, but not as great as an uberti? Beautiful, but the uberti is more authentic? Disappointed you got rid of your uberti and replaced it with an HRA, but very happy and loving your HRA? I think if schizophrenia were contagious I’d be infected right now just from this thread 

On 6/3/2020 at 5:33 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

...did make Henry Flat rim fire at one time .

When He made the First True  Henry 1860 Copy.

( Made in America too )

He then redesigned it in too a Center fire rifle 44/40

FWIW:

The Henry rifles made by Navy Arms, and marked "Cal. 44R.F." are actually chambered in 44/40, and have the "modern", long carrier.  (Still shorter than those made 1990 and later.) They came with rimfire bolt, and a centerfire bolt could be substituted to shoot 44/40.

2 weeks ago, gentleman who frequently contributes to a 44 henry rifles website gave me the story, and pics of original and Navy to show differences.

I hoped that the RF marked Navy Arms rifles were actual 44 Henry.  No semi-affordable Henry rifle shooting 44 Henry centerfire heel-type bullets for me!

Palouse -- I'm not a deep student of the history of Navy Arms, but I clearly remember reading about a limited run of rimfire Henry's offered, I'm pretty certain, by Navy Arms. This would have been about 1977 -- my freshman year of high school. What's in my head is that 1,000 were produced, but it could have been only 100. The same article in Guns & Ammo said they were doing a limited run of the .44 Henry Flat ammunition, and of .32 Long Rimfire. I used to have a box of the latter made by Navy Arms.

I wish that someone would tool up for both, even though a "real" rimfire Henry is outside my means by a large margin.

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I’m having a hard time understand the direction of this thread. The HRA Henry is great, but not as great as an uberti? Beautiful, but the uberti is more authentic? Disappointed you got rid of your uberti and replaced it with an HRA, but very happy and loving your HRA? I think if schizophrenia were contagious I’d be infected right now just from this thread 

Sorry you are confused. 

If I was able to have both guns in my hand at the same time .

After disassembly of both .

I would have kept the Uberti Heny I already had .

I got cought up in the looks on the New Original Henry by HRA  and the barrel stamping of USA .

I sold my Uberti and bought the HRA .

It's a beautiful rifle externally  she is a beautiful as heck .

Internally it is all M.I.M parts and it's not quite as true to the Original design as the Uberti. 

Its growing in me .

And over time , I'm sure I will love her too.

But as I stated already. 

If i had the two rifles side by side on the work bench .

I think the Uberti is a better built more Athletic rifle .

And that's Not taking anything away from the beauty of the HRA New Original Henry. 

I'm just sharing my experience with both rifles and letting everyone know of what I think of both Rifles  .

There is a 1000.00 pluse difference in cost .

And if I knew someone who had one i could have put hands on .

I would have made a different choice then what i did .

Hope that clears things up for you.

Rooster 

8 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You too, huh?

Howdy

Thanks for the photos of the parts inside.

Clearly different than the machined parts of my Uberti Henry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys who screams about the MIM (Metal Injection Molded) parts in new S&W revolvers, although I do prefer traditional machined parts.

I have never cared for the polish that Henry puts on their Original Henry Rifle. To my eye, they are over polished. Particularly the barrel. The corners of the barrel flats are too highly polished and softened for my taste. I prefer the more well defined barrel flats on my Uberi Henry.

Plus I'm really not a fan of that engraving on the Henry product. Clearly done by a machine. If I can't have hand executed engraving I prefer no engraving at all.

Thanks for the photos.

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

You too, huh?

I guess you did not read the post I made before your comment. 

I thought I spelled it out pretty clearly for others to make a educated decision about the two different but same Rifles. 

Sorry for your confusion too.

Rooster 

10 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Thanks for the photos of the parts inside.

Clearly different than the machined parts of my Uberti Henry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys who screams about the MIM (Metal Injection Molded) parts in new S&W revolvers, although I do prefer traditional machined parts.

I have never cared for the polish that Henry puts on their Original Henry Rifle. To my eye, they are over polished. Particularly the barrel. The corners of the barrel flats are too highly polished and softened for my taste. I prefer the more well defined barrel flats on my Uberi Henry.

Plus I'm really not a fan of that engraving on the Henry product. Clearly done by a machine. If I can't have had executed engraving I prefer no engraving at all.

Thanks for the photos.

I'm really not uncomfortable with the M.I.M parts inside of this rifle .

I'm just pointing out that they are M.I.M parts and Uberti uses Machined parts .

So if a guy like me was thinking about buying a HRA New Original Henry because it was made in America. 

That the Uberti rifle is more true to the original Henry and has machined parts inside of it .

They both are fine rifles .

Like I stated earlier. 

If I had both Rifles on a bench in front of me at the same time. 

It's clear the Uberti is a better built more Athletic rifle. 

Rooster 

Archived